Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #31
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris-maybe View Post
Amazon Kindle has released the Kindle for pc version 1.25. Is this true?
Some of my Kindle books can not be decrypted!
Go back to one of the Older version. I use ... http://downloadofflineinstaller.com/...44025_id_17419

NEVER Update

Once install you need to go into the Apps Tools & turn Off Auto Update.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-20-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:51 AM   #32
Iris-maybe
Iris-maybe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite2
Thank you all guys. I had uninstalled the Kindle for pc version 1.25 and redownloaded it from Amazon official website. This time, I get the version 1.24 and everything is ok now!
Iris-maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #33
sakurako
sakurako began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
But my Kindle for Mac newest version is 1.23, it seems like Amazon hasn't added the 1.25 to the kindle for mac.
sakurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #34
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle for PC version 1.25.1 is now available from the download page. The list of features matches that shown in the third post of this thread.

I can't tell whether the new version of Kindle for Mac is also there because the download page gives you a file based on your system type and I don't have a Mac.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #35
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
... I can't tell whether the new version of Kindle for Mac is also there because the download page gives you a file based on your system type and I don't have a Mac.
Kindle for Mac is still at 1.23.1 (not that I'm in any rush for an upgrade )
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #36
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Kindle for PC version 1.25.1 is now available from the download page. The list of features matches that shown in the third post of this thread.

I can't tell whether the new version of Kindle for Mac is also there because the download page gives you a file based on your system type and I don't have a Mac.
Amazon told me it was there when I opened the app on my Mac earlier this week but gave me the option to not update from 1.17.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #37
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I noticed today that Kindle for Mac version 1.25.2 is now available from the Mac App store.

Good news for those who have been waiting for a 64-bit version of the Kindle app. (At least I assume that it is 64-bit. I don't have a Mac so I can't be sure.)

Bad news for those who rely on DRM removal tools.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #38
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
K4Mac 1.25.2 is downloading from Amazon's website as well. And yes, it's 64-bit.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #39
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think it's unlikely Amazon is trying to avoid people cracking DRM. It doesn't seem to be something they care about beyond keeping publishers happy that they're safe. I often buy a book, remove DRM, do things like improve the TOC and send it back to my library to be read as a doc on my Kindles.

Because I value my relationship with Amazon I've discussed this a couple of times over the years with their support people. Both times I've been told they just don't care. I do buy the books. They know I bought them. They have no problem with me removing DRM. In fact one of the support guys wasn't familiar with this so he asked around and called me back and explained that some of the Amazon employees do the same thing.

Barry
I sometimes think we get mixed up with who exactly Amazon is.

For sure, it is their employees or staff, and that includes coders, any of whom could be third party as well.

Then you have management, shareholders and owners.

It is probably a false dichotomy to imagine what staff care about is the same as what management care about. One get wages, other gets profits. The ones getting profits are more likely to care about how their providers of product feel, so more concerned about DRM and image.

Are the DRM loopholes in existence because management don't really care or because the coders are not as diligent as they should be, perhaps deliberately ... or perhaps both. There is also a case these days especially, that employers want things now, and for as cheap as possible, so that means things like coding are often rushed or planned to be delivered by a certain time frame, with no extra thought beyond what was agreed upon, occurring.

From managements perspective, they can kind of get away with seeming to be doing something, but not caring enough to make sure the loopholes are closed. They can plead it is not their fault.

One can also speculate about the number of non Kindle owners, who buy ebooks from Amazon, because they are more plentiful and often cheaper. They then strip the DRM and convert to epub. I can imagine there are a lot of people out there who do that. So maybe Amazon are leaving a loophole for them, as it is profit after all?

P.S. You can even speculate, that employed coders enjoy watching how things play out, and just like leaving Easter Eggs, have fun leaving loopholes ... all part of a game.

Last edited by Timboli; 03-14-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #40
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
Are the DRM loopholes in existence because management don't really care or because the coders are not as diligent as they should be, perhaps deliberately ... or perhaps both.
It is not that there are loopholes or errors in the programming of the DRM system. It is that the system is inherently insecure.

For a customer to be able to read a DRMed book on their computer, the software that they use to read the book MUST have access to the encryption key, and MUST decrypt the book.

There is no way to create a DRM scheme for a general purpose computer that doesn't have the fundamental flaw that the key is present on the computer at some point.

So the DRM removal software 'just' has to duplicate the decryption algorithm, and know how to find/derive the encryption key. No errors in the programming of the DRM system are required.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #41
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It is not that there are loopholes or errors in the programming of the DRM system. It is that the system is inherently insecure.
Perhaps, though I don't see loopholes as errors.

Being somewhat of a programmer myself, it seems to me there is really only two ways to get that key (or from what I have seen, one of many keys), and that is either by reverse engineering the app (if not obfuscated) or capturing (intercepting) the stream/command/handshake during decryption, much like they do with video DRM.

I guess the obvious third way would be insider knowledge, but that is a different fish.

P.S. It's not like Amazon coders are having to deal with the security of third party devices, everything goes through their app, not someone else's who they have given a key to. So any flaws or loopholes are theirs. Seems that way to me anyway, and though I ain't no encryption expert, I've had an interest in it for years and read a fair bit about it. Still, I could be wrong ... stranger things have happened.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #42
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
I haven't seen this particular experience posted, so my apologies, if it's is a repeat.
My K4PC app updated to 1.25.1 which meant some of my fave plugins for calibre don't work. Also my Kindle PW is 5.10.3 which apparently plays into the problem.
So, thanks to the knowledgeable and PATIENT MobileRead members who provide what I call "Instructions, Apps & Plugins for Dummies", I proceeded to un-install K4PC, deleted My Kindle Content folder, etc.
Then downloaded and installed K4PC 1.17.4417. I opened the app and registered it; it showed as Anna's K4PC - Cool!
Hit sync, and watched the little circle spin for about 15 seconds then Poof! the app disappeared taking everything with it -desktop icon, Kindle Contents folder, etc.
So, just in case I got hold of something corrupted, I downloaded the app from a different site and repeated the process - same result.
Unwilling to give up, I re-installed and registered it, but then went to Amazon and 'delivered' a book from my account. It showed delivered!
With some trepidation, I checked the app and there was the book I'd sent - hit sync and all my content appeared! Whew. Only the book that I sent from Amazon site was in the My Kindle Contents folder, and others load there as I click to open them in the app., so all appears to be working properly now.
Probably all 'old-hat' to most of you, but for me, it's good to know I can at least follow instructions! :^)
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle for pc