Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #1
LittleMissS
Enthusiast
LittleMissS began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some headings and photo in wrong place

In Sigil 0.9.13 I have created a Kindle version of my book as a test to see what it looks like.

There are 2 issues I need to sort that I need advice on.

1) Some H2 headings Day 1,2 3 etc of my travelogue are at the bottom of the page before the day the related to, rather on the same page before the text they relate to.

2) One of my photos is not with the text it relates to but at the top of the next page.
LittleMissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can force a new screen (use Split at Cursor) but you can't control where the content flow will spill over to the next screen. (And it will be at a different place for readers with different screen sizes, different choice of text size...)

So put a Split before a chapter heading. This will probably result in a short previous page. Tough. This is The Way Of The eBook.

Photo captions are another problem. There IS a 'keep together' HTML instruction, but eBook readers take no notice of it. I usually work on the principle 'if a photo's worth including, it's worth SEEING' and prefer full-page photos, i.e. put a split before the picture. If the picture's landscape, you can make it full width and assume there'll be room for the caption on the same screen. If it's portrait, do your best. If you're stuck into a mindset of trying to reproduce a printed page's layout on screen, well - good luck!

(P.S. Don't be frightened of Code View. It's where you can do the stuff you WANT to do.)

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 04-18-2019 at 07:30 AM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
LittleMissS
Enthusiast
LittleMissS began at the beginning.

Thank you Exalted Wombat. I realised that different readers / font size would make a difference to where things end up. So I will leave as is.

I have not added captions to the bottom of images as they reflect the paragraphs after it. But I have changed the alt tag info for people with visual impairments. I did that in the code. I also deleted the code Word dumps in, by following a video and my memory of basic HTML - so I'm not a complete code wimp!
LittleMissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thank you for putting in a meaningful alt= description.

Things like"Image29" have no meaning to someone who has difficulty seeing
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote