Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #31
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Now that metadata can be translated in the GUI please be aware that the Dublin Core Metadata that EPUB uses already has some translations at http://dublincore.org/resources/translations/#dces1-1 . This should make translating the metadata attributes and descriptions easier.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #32
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Damn! I completed the translation yesterday, back to work now!
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #33
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Oh well, I was almost afraid to get bored...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #34
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the "SP" language in the language strings? Is it supposed to be the programming language?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #35
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Can you give an example/section of text/code?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #36
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

No, because I only have the translation file from transifex, but it says:

<location filename="../../Misc/Language.cpp" line="278"/>

By the way, could all the language names be imported from Calibre instead? I know the format is different, but the language list is much more extensive there, and copying them one by one is a pain.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #37
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SP was a subtag for Serbian, though its not clear what it was for. I'll remove it as Serbian is already there. Of course, anything missing can be added later if someone identifies it.

The list was what was available already in Sigil, so I assume it was a list of standard names valid in EPUB books.

As for importing from calibre - what do you want imported where? If I import the language names/codes from calibre into Sigil's source code then you still have to update the Transifex translations for each one. Or do you mean copy translated names from calibre's files.

Maybe user_none might have a suggestion here as he's more familiar with calibre and the translation setup.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #38
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I mean the language codes, names and translations, which in calibre (launchad) are in a separate .po file, although calibre seems to follow ISO 639-3, while the ePUB spec refers to ISO 639-2...
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #39
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
By the way, could all the language names be imported from Calibre instead? I know the format is different, but the language list is much more extensive there, and copying them one by one is a pain.
Calibre and Sigil handle language codes and translations in very different ways. It wouldn't be possible to make them match.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #40
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

OK then, I thought it would be easier.

Now what's killing me is all this Dublin Core stuff, too many terms I don't know the exact translation, or overlapping translations.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #41
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
OK then, I thought it would be easier.

Now what's killing me is all this Dublin Core stuff, too many terms I don't know the exact translation, or overlapping translations.
It's very strange that Spanish isn't one of the reference translation languages...
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #42
meme
Sigil developer

See user_none's post above with pre-translated Dublin Core text. Edit: which as he just posted, doesn't help at all
Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #43
Griffel
Griffel began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Question German translation

Dear all,

For some while I follow this forum in some areas by reading.
Today I decided to participate by becoming a member.

I'm working on the German Sigil translation.

And I'm wondering about the amount of metadata entries: 454, this means 227 pairs of metadata fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Now that metadata can be translated in the GUI please be aware that the Dublin Core Metadata that EPUB uses already has some translations at http://dublincore.org/resources/translations/#dces1-1 . This should make translating the metadata attributes and descriptions easier.
As far as I understood, the Dublin Core Metadata set consists of 15 fields, according to several sources.

The links to translations I saw handle only 15 fields.

Are the other fields really part of the standard?
Or are they non-standard and optional?
I'm speaking of the amount of the fields, not of the entries.
If the fields are non-standard and if the field names are free, wouldn't it be a better idea to let the users decide to add field names by themselves?

A lot of the fields seem to be related to movie business, like "dancer", "woodcutter", "wood-engraver" and so on. They don't make sense in an ebook.

Are all these fields really needed? They will cause a lot of work (and may be frustration) for all translaters.

I couldn't find any list of all this fields of "Dublin Core Metadata" in a German translation. And I assume, other translators to other languages will have a similar problem.

For all who are interested in the German translations, here are some hints:
SELFHTML
Wikipedia
http://www.community-of-knowledge.de...ta-initiative/

Cheers,

Griffel
Griffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #44
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffel View Post
If the fields are non-standard and if the field names are free, wouldn't it be a better idea to let the users decide to add field names by themselves?
Hello,
I would guess, they are standard. Of course, usage is optional.

Quote:
A lot of the fields seem to be related to movie business, like "dancer", "woodcutter", "wood-engraver" and so on. They don't make sense in an ebook.
They make sense in some very rare situations. I.E. Woodcutter is defined as a person who cuts an image into wood (see definition in Sigil). This reminds me on the the way, how pictures are produce until ~1850/60. I.E. the early works of W. Busch are painted on a shelf, engraved by a woodcutter and then printed. Well, who remembers the name of the woodcutter today ?

Quote:
Are all these fields really needed? They will cause a lot of work (and may be frustration) for all translaters.

I couldn't find any list of all this fields of "Dublin Core Metadata" in a German translation. And I assume, other translators to other languages will have a similar problem.
As user_none says, there are some translations (i guess, just the 15 basic attributes).
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #45
Griffel
Griffel began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Exclamation German translation

@mmat1

To make my theme more clear, please have a look to a screenshot I took from the translation program "Qt Linguist": Screenshot of "Qt Linguist"

It's only a small extract of the 454 entries in the section "Metadata".

Are you aware of all these 227 categories?

From my point of view none of the entries of the screenshot is related to books or ebooks. These entries are typical for movie business.

Only a subset of few categories in the Metadata section makes sense in an ebook.

We all know the multiple and annoying kinds of categories from the end credits of movies.
But, in book business, these categories are not in use.

For example "woodcutter". No one in book business uses this category. Typical for book business is the category "illustrator". No one cares about the technique an illustrator uses. But the category "illustrator" is not part of the core. Therefore it makes sense to provide "illustrator" as additional field, but not "woodcutter".

I showed the screenshot to my girl friend. She is involved in book business for a long time. Her answer was: "It looks like an alien speech."

Only few categories of metadata are in use in book business. Most of them are described in the core. But some other additional categories make sense. The challenge is, to identify these categories and to shorten the long list to an appropriate subset.

I highly recommend to do so. Even if it's not easy. I would appreciate to support this action.

Last edited by Griffel; 03-20-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Griffel is offline   Reply With Quote