Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Campbell View Post
When a similar event happens with an ebook retailer, perhaps more of the proponents of DRM will understand the potential grief it gives paying customers.
I believe it already did. Fictionwise had an episode of this a while ago where a lot of books would no longer be available for download because their contract with Overdrive was terminated.

http://www.teleread.com/2009/01/08/o...-distribution/

BTW... there are proponents of DRM? Other than the copyright cartel?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
I can strongly recommend, however, back on the subject of music, [deleted] They have some very low prices (around $1.30 per album), and it is quite legal. I believe they have a 6-month window for downloading/redownloading, but there is no DRM, and it's easy enough to download 4 gigs of music and back it up on a DVD-R.
"Quite legal" may be overstating the case.

A whois lookup on the domain places them in Cyprus. The actual servers may be hosted elsewhere.

The site says "The activity of site [deleted] is carried out according to to the legislation of the license agreement N57/03F-10 of the Rightholders Federation for Collective Copyright Management of Works Used Interactively (NP "FAIR"). Service [deleted] pays full-scale author's royalties to owners of pieces of music, trade marks, names, slogans and other copyright objects used on the site."

NP "FAIR" is a Russian organization intended to comply with applicable Russian laws. See http://simb.biz/index_eng.php.frame=...del_IV_eng.htm for the specific laws in question.

It appears to be a reaction to the Russian allofmp3 site, which was selling a lot of music at prices undercutting iTunes, but while it claimed to be collecting royalties, it had no license agreements with the record labels, was not authorized to collect revenue for them, and was not actually paying royalties to the labels or the bands released by those labels. The existence of the site was an issue in Russia's admittance to the WTO in 2006.

The site further claims "Service meets the requirements of the majority of the states of the Europe and the USA, although it is not possible to guarantee the legality of the work of Service in all States. In such rare instances the responsibility for use of Service lies with the user."

So I'm forced to wonder if anyone actually making the music sold on the site sees a dime from sales through the site, and I'm certainly not going to assume their site verbiage will protect me if someone like the RIAA inquires about my purchases. They may say they're legal. The record industry may have a different opinion.

They may be legal, but I'm not interested in being a potential test case.
______
Dennis

Last edited by HarryT; 08-24-2010 at 09:58 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
The cynic in me suspects that Napster's sales are dropping and they think this might be a good way to boost sales.

"Your hard drive crashed? - Sorry you'll have to repurchase those songs."
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #19
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's also one reason why I continue to buy CDs and rip them myself. The other reason being that, as a fan of classical music and opera, I prefer to rip my music at a much higher bitrate than most downloaded music is sold at.
While I will download music from Amazon (320 bit rate), I'll often buy CDs and rip them (also at 320) just to get the album art/info. I will not buy DRMed music because I will play it on my computer with whatever player I choose and make back up copies. Same for e-books. I will buy the p-boo and chop and scan it before I will buy a DRMed copy.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
"Your hard drive crashed? - Sorry you'll have to repurchase those songs."
That's been one of the intentions behind DRM from the beginning.
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #21
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
BTW... there are proponents of DRM? Other than the copyright cartel?
Some. I spoke to a woman at an eBook event in NYC who was proprietor of a romance ebook line. She admitted that she thought DRM was useless and would eventually go away. But meanwhile, she applied it because her authors insisted on it. They apparently feared what without DRM, they'd lose significant sales to copying and sharing.

I always wonder about assumptions like that. I want to ask "Why do you assume your market will rip you off given a chance? Is it because it's what you would do, and you assume everyone else is just like you?"
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's also one reason why I continue to buy CDs and rip them myself. The other reason being that, as a fan of classical music and opera, I prefer to rip my music at a much higher bitrate than most downloaded music is sold at.
I thought ripping CDs was illegal in the UK?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I always wonder about assumptions like that. I want to ask "Why do you assume your market will rip you off given a chance? Is it because it's what you would do, and you assume everyone else is just like you?"
Could also be that they don't think their work is worth the price they're charging.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #24
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
tunebite is your friend for making non-drm'd copies of your legitimately owned drm'd music.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:

There is a 'fair use' policy (can't remember if it is court-tested though).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #26
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
There is a 'fair use' policy (can't remember if it is court-tested though).
My limited understanding (I don't know much about UK law) is that 'fair dealing' did not cover ripping CDs. Most of the links on a quick google search seem to indicate that ripping CDs is illegal in the UK.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #27
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
My limited understanding (I don't know much about UK law) is that 'fair dealing' did not cover ripping CDs. Most of the links on a quick google search seem to indicate that ripping CDs is illegal in the UK.
Wikipedia seems to think it's illegal. The BBC article that I found called it "technically copyright infringement" in 2007. Everyone openly does it - including the sale of equipment based on making and playing digital copies. Perhaps it's like recording TV onto VHS, which was technically illegal for some time IIRC.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
There is this official statement from the Intellectual Property Office which is pretty clear. No, you can't copy your own CDs onto your mp3 player.

How mad is that? It's the sort of thing that makes people disrespect the law and, thinking they might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, disregard copyright entirely.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That's right, it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #30
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Defective by Design is:

a broad-based anti-DRM campaign that is targeting Big Media, unhelpful manufacturers and DRM distributors. The campaign aims to make all manufacturers wary about bringing their DRM-enabled products to market. DRM products have features built-in that restrict what jobs they can do. These products have been intentionally crippled from the users' perspective, and are therefore "defective by design".
Unquote

Well worth a look.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote