Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Cleiton
Cleiton began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 SC
Exclamation PRS-505 Annoying Bug

I've bought my Sony Reader a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. But a bug in the device is getting me nuts!

In EPUB files if a PHRASE wrotten inside a <PRE> tag (HTML) is larger than the device screen, the overflow becames hidden. It is annoying because, almost all books I've seen that talks about computer programming uses PRE tag to format Code Sections.
Ahh I've attached a file that shows the problem.

Thanks all!

PS1: Is it a know issue? What can I do to correct it?
Attached Files
File Type: epub Bug_in_PRS-505_(PRE_TAG)_-_Cleiton_5.epub (2.7 KB, 274 views)
Cleiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Cleiton

Did not Anyone notice the same problem?
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I don't think many people use the 505 for reading technical manuals like programming books. Mostly because the formatting doesn't lend itself to small screens and can cause issues like the one you're having. Sorry, I know that wasn't very useful, but I think you're in the minority if you use the Reader for that purpose.

Good luck!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Cleiton

yes... I know that, but even so, I wrote an e-mail to Sony suport, they answered me asking to calll them... but for me, it is imposible because I dont speak english very well and I'm in Brazil. Imagine how funny could be this call?

=/

thnks for your reply
Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
salty_seadog
salty_seadog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don;t know the answer, but is there a piece of software outt here that can convert an ePub file into a PDF which you could read on the screen instread?
salty_seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
salty_seadog--

You should be able to read ePub files on your computer screen with Adobe Digital Editions without converting them to PDF. Is this what you're asking?

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleiton View Post
I've bought my Sony Reader a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. But a bug in the device is getting me nuts!

In EPUB files if a PHRASE wrotten inside a <PRE> tag (HTML) is larger than the device screen, the overflow becames hidden. It is annoying because, almost all books I've seen that talks about computer programming uses PRE tag to format Code Sections.
I can understand how irritating this must be, but it seems to me that the reader is doing the right thing, within its limitations. What you're asking it to do is to insert artificial line breaks within a <pre> section -- but the whole purpose of <pre> is so that the author controls the line breaking.

A web browser (well, Firefox, at least) also won't break a long line in the middle of a <pre> section. BUT with a web browser, you get horizontal scroll bar if the line won't fit on the screen -- effectively, the browser gives you a screen of infinite width. The PRS doesn't have a scroll bar, or anything the operate one with, so that approach won't work.

I suspect that, in the interests of usefulness, the PRS _should_ break a long line in a <pre> if it would otherwise not fit the screen. But doing this is `wrong', so far as formatting rules are concerned.
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I just downloaded the file you provided and opened it with the Adobe digital editions software. If I narrow the the Adobe DE screen so it is very narrow, the "This is a Test" text is also lost on the right hand side.

It might also help if you change the PRS-505's screen orientation, since this will increase the page width.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleiton View Post

Thanks all!

PS1: Is it a know issue? What can I do to correct it?
I would not consider this to be a bug.

The <PRE> tag means "pre-formatted - display this exactly as it is". It would be a "bug" if the Reader did mess with the formatting of it, eg by wrapping the line.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would not consider this to be a bug.

The <PRE> tag means "pre-formatted - display this exactly as it is". It would be a "bug" if the Reader did mess with the formatting of it, eg by wrapping the line.
The HTML 4.0.1 specification does not forbid adding additional linebreaks within a <pre>-tag if the content is larger than the screens width. But i do agree that it wouldn't be a good solution. Imho ADE should use a smaller font size if the content within a <pre>-tag doesn't fit the screens with...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
The HTML 4.0.1 specification does not forbid adding additional linebreaks within a <pre>-tag if the content is larger than the screens width. But i do agree that it wouldn't be a good solution. Imho ADE should use a smaller font size if the content within a <pre>-tag doesn't fit the screens with...
Sure, that would work up to a point. But there's got to be a point at which a line is too long to fit the screen even at the smallest readable font. While I can understand the PRS not wanting to break a preformatted line, as I said, it may be the most practical solution.

Having said that, it's probably mostly programming books that are likely to have this problem, and related subjects. If you're reading books about programming, you might well have the skills to pre-process an ePub doc and reformat <pre> sections that are too wide.
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Cleiton

Quote:
Having said that, it's probably mostly programming books that are likely to have this problem, and related subjects. If you're reading books about programming, you might well have the skills to pre-process an ePub doc and reformat <pre> sections that are too wide.
Sure I can, it is easy. But the problem is that sometimes the books are big and it becames a pain to pre-process them. I wrote a simple program wich put linebreaks at these sections, this has solved the problem and helped me to save some time...