Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I've managed to get my H2O to process the wiki files (I snagged the 5GB 0.8 zim), but opening them does nothing but give me a blank page. Searching yields no results.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #17
pyroshroom
pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pyroshroom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Am I missing something or did wikipedia remove the zim generator from the book manager?
Unfortunately they did that about a year ago, it wasn't working, and there is ticket that was opened about it. You can find out more here: http://www.openzim.org/wiki/Build_your_ZIM_file
pyroshroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #18
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Was able to get it to work, seems Mac users may be out of luck. I tried changing the file extension on my Mac and it didn't take. Repeated the whole process on my Windows box and presto it worked like a charm.

I find it odd since I recall Mac OS asking if I wanted to change extensions in the past, but this time it just kept ones which did not seem to trigger my H2O to scan them.

I've opted out of it for now since I underestimated what I would be able to do. This isn't any fault of the OP. And this is still a very nifty feature. I just wish things were a bit more polished.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #19
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Was able to get it to work, seems Mac users may be out of luck. I tried changing the file extension on my Mac and it didn't take. Repeated the whole process on my Windows box and presto it worked like a charm.
Why are Mac users out of luck? One has simply to copy a file to the kobo device. Is this not possible on a Mac?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #20
MGlitch
Wizard

It's not the copying, it's that for some reason (at least for me) OS X wasn't properly reassigning the file extension, so my H2O never read it.
Advert
Old 08-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #21
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I tried this and it works great, thanks for the tip.

I also took the opportunity to copy over some of the other ZIM files that were available, stuff like Wikiquote, Wikivoyage, Wikitionary and others. The problem is, when you have more than one ZIM file on your device, when you go Reading Menu->Wikipedia when reading a regular book, it's a crapshoot which one it'll launch. For me, sometimes it's Wikipedia, but other times it's Wikiquote or something else.

I can't figure out how that menu item gets populated. I initially thought it was Alphabetical or last file copied over, but no. I think it changes every time you reboot the device.

That said, there's nothing stopping me from opening the ZIM file from the home page and using it normally, but it would be nice to call up Wikipedia specifically directly from a book if I wanted to look something up. The easy answer would be to delete all the other ZIM files and just leave Wikipedia by itself on there, but I do like having access to those other references too. Does anyone have an idea on how to set those Reading Menu options explicitly so I can permanently set that option to launch Wikipedia only?

Last edited by rtiangha; 08-06-2016 at 04:19 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #22
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This no longer seems to work with firmware 4.1 by default, although it used to in 3.19 (and also in 4.0). Does anyone know if there's a hidden .conf option to re-enable it?

Last edited by rtiangha; 10-17-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:05 AM   #23
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
This no longer seems to work with firmware 4.1 by default, although it used to in 3.19 (and also in 4.0). Does anyone know if there's a hidden .conf option to re-enable it?

What do you mean it no work by default, is your device doesn't recognize the zim file or you don't get the "Wikipedia" search option in the setting?

Last edited by oren64; 10-17-2016 at 04:17 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 AM   #24
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
What do you mean it no work by default, is your device doesn't recognize the zim file or you don't get the "Wikipedia" search option in the setting?
The device recognises the ZIM file and you can open it. However, the "Wikipedia" search option no longer appears in any of the menus in firmware 4.1.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #25
strico
Enthusiast
strico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-600
Has anyone tried it with the full 54GB Wikipedia? I'd really like to have the whole wikipedia, and wondering if I should buy a 64GB MicroSD and give it a shot
strico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #26
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by strico View Post
Has anyone tried it with the full 54GB Wikipedia? I'd really like to have the whole wikipedia, and wondering if I should buy a 64GB MicroSD and give it a shot
It works (that is precisely how I do it). In fact, it'll work with any ZIM file that you can find on kiwix.org. Just make sure you're not running firmware 4.1 as the menu option to search zim files was removed in that version. Just make sure to grab the "portable" version as that has the ZIM file already broken into 2 GB chunks that'll work properly on the Kobo's FAT32 user partition.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Last edited by rtiangha; 10-20-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #27
strico
Enthusiast
strico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks for your help and for the head-up not to download firmware 4.1!
strico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #28
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Quote:
I've just successfuly on H2O 3.19. current, I've downloaded the wikipedia_en_all.zip (54G), then I copied all the data/content/*.zim* files to a Sony micro SD 64G that I've formated as Fat32 in a mac (El Capitan)

So I didn't need to break a big file, the compressed zip I've downloaded came with a lot of *.zimaa, *.zimab, etc. files

Last edited by RobertoOG; 10-24-2016 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Aclaration
RobertoOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #29
mkeles84
Enthusiast
mkeles84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura/Glo/Kindle PW2
Hello, the "Wikipedia" search option no longer appears in any of the menus in firmware 4.1. Is there any patch for this?
mkeles84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeles84 View Post
Hello, the "Wikipedia" search option no longer appears in any of the menus in firmware 4.1. Is there any patch for this?
It does on my devices. Select something in a book, when the toolbar pops up, tap the magnifying glass and Wikipedia is on the menu.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, kiwix, wikipedia, wikipedia offline, zim