Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #16
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I wonder how he feels about it today. His new book, which was available from Sony first thing this morning, is STILL listed as 'not yet available' on its Kindle page.

I bought mine in hardcover at the grocery store last night (I expect they put them out by mistake...) and am already well into it, but if I were waiting for Kindle I'd be annoyed.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #17
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I wonder how he feels about it today. His new book, which was available from Sony first thing this morning, is STILL listed as 'not yet available' on its Kindle page.
I doubt he feels any different at all. It's likely that the distribution rights to his new book were probably worked out before he had his hands on a Kindle. I wouldn't think he would wake up on the morning of the release of his new book and go "Hey, why isn't my book available to the Kindle?" I imagine he's somewhat more informed about that.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I doubt a lot of Kindle owners are deciding to never buy his book because of it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:28 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I also doubt he cares at all.
Most likely he has already forgotten what a word Kindle means.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #20
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I like the smell of old books.
I like the smell of living trees.
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
Just4Fun
Enthusiast
Just4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/iphone/ipad/Pocket Entourage/MacBook/Windows
Quote:
"I wonder how he feels about it today. His new book, which was available from Sony first thing this morning, is STILL listed as 'not yet available' on its Kindle page."
FYI:
Amazon now has Stephen King's new book: Dumas Key @ $9.99
Just4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #22
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Stephen King is a fan of ebooks. He started writing a novel something like 2 or 3 years ago (about some carniverous plant) which was to be published as an ebook only, but he never finished it. He thinks the Kindle is a handy device for reading, but not the only way to read, and I agree.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #23
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Stephen King is a fan of ebooks. He started writing a novel something like 2 or 3 years ago (about some carniverous plant) which was to be published as an ebook only, but he never finished it. He thinks the Kindle is a handy device for reading, but not the only way to read, and I agree.
You had to buy his book per-chapter, and if it sold well enough he'd continue with the next one. He must have been ahead of his time, because it failed miserably, as far as I recall.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 AM   #24
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop View Post
I like the smell of living trees.
Gross!
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
You had to buy his book per-chapter, and if it sold well enough he'd continue with the next one. He must have been ahead of his time, because it failed miserably, as far as I recall.
It probably failed because people could not be sure to get the whole book and therefore did not buy the parts.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #26
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
I've never entirely forgiven him for that. He took money for the earlier parts then went off to do other things and never came back, bad form. I do agree with his opinion on the Kindle though. Now, if mine would just ship ...
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It probably failed because people could not be sure to get the whole book and therefore did not buy the parts.
It failed because King set a minimum level of sales that he wanted to get, per chapter, to continue the project (and readers were informed about this in advance of the project). As new chapters came out, fewer and fewer people bought them. Finally, the minimum level of purchases was reached, so he canned the project.

Slashdot article on Stephen King's online e-book experiment "The Plant"

Wired article on Stephen King's online e-book experiment "The Plant"

Guardian article on Stephen King's online e-book experiment "The Plant"

Not the way I would've done it, myself... I would've finished the project, accepted the loss, and reconsidered my business model or price for the next one. But I'm not Stephen King.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished actually reading the article. I was glad to see these two statements:

Quote:
The Kindle isn't as gratifying as a good book narrated by a great reader...but for what it is, it's just fine. It's light, holds its charge, is simple to operate. And for a fellow of my years (a less-than-generous reader recently referred to me in his blog as ''that elderly douchenozzle''), the Kindle has one great feature: You can adjust the typeface. In the printed version of In Pale Battalions, the type is readable but small; after an hour or so, I'd be maxed out. At its highest Kindle magnification, though, the narrative looks twice as big as this, and I can breeze along for twice that length of time, my finger stuttering on the NEXT PAGE button.
Quote:
For a while I was very aware that I was looking at a screen and bopping a button instead of turning pages. Then the story simply swallowed me, as the good ones always do. I wasn't thinking about my Kindle anymore; I was rooting for someone to stop the evil Lady Powerstock. It became about the message instead of the medium, and that's the way it's supposed to be.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #29
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
It failed because King set a minimum level of sales that he wanted to get, per chapter, to continue the project (and readers were informed about this in advance of the project). As new chapters came out, fewer and fewer people bought them. Finally, the minimum level of purchases was reached, so he canned the project.
Yes I know, and as I said I think he did not get the sales because people did not trust that the book would be finished.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes I know, and as I said I think he did not get the sales because people did not trust that the book would be finished.
I didn't get that impression from the articles, but it's certainly possible. The impression I got was that so much time passed between chapters, that readers lost interest or got fed up waiting. And there's the inevitable "I don't like where this story is going" dropouts. And the $2 per chapter complaints.