Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Biblioskop: A Connect alternative

Hi

I've been keeping an eye on Bookpac a German company who are developing a software product called Biblioskop.
It's sort of an ebook catalog software, helps to organise and manage one's ebook collection.
Now they released a new version which supports the SONY Reader device.

Original blog post is here.

You can upload the file formats supported by the reader, plus your RSS or ATOM feeds.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
It says something very interesting in that blog:

Quote:
We didn't implement LRF conversion and viewing for now as we thought it was more important to release early. But be sure we're working on LRF.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
The torrent download link is dead, so I informed them through email. I received a reply within about 5 minutes and he said don't hesitate to use the normal download link since it would be a couple of days before he gets back from traveling.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I was hoping this might be something I could put on my flash drive and run on any computer, no such luck on that, but I like the interface, it's nice and clean.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Does anyone know whether this software updates cache.xml with pagination info when you transfer books to the Reader?
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Currently downloading to give it a try. I'm not concerned about transferring to the Reader as much as the other features (organizing and tagging? a godsend!). I just hope it runs without a hitch on Vista (crosses fingers) and does a decent job of organizing the mess on my hard drive. If not, I guess there's always the next release.

Thanks for sharing this one with us, sic.

Is it just late in the evening or is there no easy way to add a huge number of books at once? I'll have to look at this more in depth tomorrow since I'm more apt to bang my head on the keyboard than to figure anything out tonight.

For the curious, it appears to have installed and runs fine on Vista, added one book to the library, toyed with its properties, tags, etc.

Last edited by L1Wulf; 02-15-2007 at 03:56 AM.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!
adinb is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, iPhone
There's an OSX Version!!!!

Off to test it out! ::vroooom::
adinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Holy ****! The OS X version worked on my old G4 running 10.4.8. For the first time since I have had my Reader, I can copy something to it's hard drive!! I have been using the SD card this whole time. This is very cool. So far I have only copied over some .txt files, but the fact that I can actually attach my Reader and have it show up on my Mac is awesome

Ok, now I know there are others that have worked really, really hard on creating Mac solultions, but it was always too advanced for me. I mean, I just couldn't figure out all the Terminal and programming code. I tried several times, but I couldn't get it to work. I mean, FUSE, Terminal, Python--I really have no clue how those are supposed to work. You guys are amazing for being able to hack this stuff, but I just couldn't figure it out. You are too smart for me!!

But this Biblioskop was a simple install. I installed, open the application, then plugged my Reader in and it showed that I was connected. I am waiting for .rtf and .lrf support, but wow, something finally worked for me! yay!!

I don't have the money or a plan to upgrade to the Intel Macs yet, so this little program is a great addition. Thanks Sic for pointing that out to us!

This forum seriously rocks.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I really wonder why all these softwares try to look like iTunes... Most of the time it looks like a cheap rip-off of the iTunes UI, I'd really like to see something different in a while.
Still, it's nice to have an alternative for the Connect Software, I expect other developpers to work much faster than Sony and deliver something better. In a few months, I'm sure we'll have great apps for e-ink readers, supporting multiple readers and advanced possibilities.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
they want to copy iTunes because it's cool.
The more time I spend using iTunes the more details I discover the more I appreciate it. I think it's very well thought. Those huys know a heck of a lot about usability.
The copycats usually suck.

Hadrien, I wish you were right.

there are hopes that biblioskop will open up their source code. At least they promise integration/extension APIs.

another application worth looking at is songbird.

I know... it's about music. But is music really that much different?
Hey, iTunes supports PDF files!!!

It's open source and supports extensions (like Firefox)

It has things like transcoding API, device API
does it ring a bell?

It would be great if mobileread hackers would unite on either one of these products.
It could be an open-source alternative to things like the Connect software or the Mobipocket reader
(which are both iTunes copycats )
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer
But this Biblioskop was a simple install. I installed, open the application, then plugged my Reader in and it showed that I was connected. I am waiting for .rtf and .lrf support, but wow, something finally worked for me! yay!!

This forum seriously rocks.
My PRS-500 isn't showing up in the devices menu...I wonder if it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade.

@tsgreer, which version of the firmware are you running on your PRS-500?

Last edited by adinb; 02-15-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinb
My PRS-500 isn't showing up in the devices menu...I wonder if it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade.

@tsgreer, which version of the firmware are you running on your PRS-500?
I am still using the old firmware, I haven't upgraded it yet. But I do know that when I stuck my cord into my first USB slot on the computer, it didn't work. I put it in my second USB slot and it worked. The developer mentioned that this same thing happened on his laptop. So not sure if that helps or not. My first USB slot works fine for everything else, but not my Reader.

So far I have transferred .txt file and .lrf files successfully using this program. I can also delete them. But I haven't been able to get the free book samples that came pre-loaded on the Reader to show up.

It may be my imagination, but when books are read from the Reader, it seems to me that the page turn flash is faster than when I read the book off of the SD card. But it may be a placebo effect on my end.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!

After playing musical USB ports for about an hour, I finally got Biblioskop to recognize the PRS-500. It seems to need to be on the *first* port on the machine, and it doesn't seem to hurt if its the only USB device plugged in. I threw about 300 RSS feeds into the main memory without any issue. (obviously text only).

My next test will be with some PDF's I've been meaning to read.

BTW, anyone know if functionality similiar to RSS2Book/Sunrise planned for this app?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #14
Bob A
Bob A began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
I downloaded Biblioskop....couldn't quite figure out how to import files....but then wierd things started to happen like my verizon air card stopped connecting.....so I uninstalled immediately and things went back to normal....phew!!
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
adinb
RSS & Gadget Addict!

Yeah, my mouse has a few probs when biblioskop is running--I think they're not sharing USB in an overeager attempt to get at the PRS500.

But hey, it works and doesn't appear to cause any damage or weirdness when its not running.