Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #661
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Latkes (potato pancakes) with home-made apple sauce....

... and fortunately, the Japanese apple crop has just come in!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #662
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Gluten free Scotch Egg
For a non gluten free version, Heston Blumenthal had a version on his series on Channel 4 in the UK.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...ch-eggs-recipe

Quote:
INGREDIENTS
  • 10 medium eggs
  • 450g good-quality sausages, skins removed
  • ½ tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • 45g French’s mustard
  • Salt and black pepper
  • Plain flour
  • 50g whole milk
    125g breadcrumbs (If you use coarse breadcrumbs, blitz them in a food processor for approximately 5 seconds to create a coarse powder so the crumbs don’t absorb too much fat during frying.)
  • Groundnut oil, for deep-frying
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas mark 5. Put 8 of the eggs into a pan in which they fit in a single layer. Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by 3cm and cover with a lid then place the pan over a high heat.
  2. Once the water comes to a boil, remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand for 3 minutes. In the meantime, fill a bowl with ice and cold water and after the 3 minutes, transfer the eggs to the iced water. Leave to cool for 10–15 minutes.
  3. Place the sausagemeat in a food processor with the smoked paprika, cornflour, mustard, and a splash of cold water. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and blitz together. Divide into eight balls, approximately 55g per portion.
  4. Once the eggs are cool enough to handle, carefully peel off the shells using a teaspoon.
  5. Flatten each portion of sausagemeat between two sheets of clingfilm into a circle, then remove the top layer of clingfilm. Place an egg in the centre of each sausage meat circle. Wrap the sausage meat around the egg, by bringing all of the edges together and twist the top of the clingfilm. Press the edges to seal but don’t press too hard. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
  6. In the meantime, put some plain flour into a small bowl and season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Beat the remaining eggs in a second small bowl and stir in the milk. Put the breadcrumbs into a third bowl. Roll each coated egg in the flour, gently tapping off any excess, then dip it in the beaten egg. Finally, roll it in the breadcrumbs, making sure that all sides are coated. Place the eggs in the fridge for 15 minutes.
  7. Heat a deep fat fryer to 190ºC or place a deep saucepan of oil over a high heat until it reaches this temperature.
  8. Fry the Scotch eggs two at a time for 2 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a cooling rack over a baking tray. When all the eggs have been fried, place the tray in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately while the yolks are still runny.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #663
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That looks good! I prefer them with a harder cooked egg rather than a runny one though. This is the first time I've seen reference to 'groundnut oil.' I realize it's what in the US is called peanut oil, but I've never seen it called that in a recipe before. When I make Scotch Eggs, I have to make the sausage meat first as I can't get it in the stupidmarkets here.

But I went out and bought a bag of 'Fuji' apples, Japan's best variety, some cinnamon sticks, a bag of sugar, and a bag of potatoes. I already have the 'groundnut oil!'

Stitchawl
Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #664
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Latkes (potato pancakes) with home-made apple sauce....

... and fortunately, the Japanese apple crop has just come in!

Stitchawl
Home-made applesauce is always the best. And I don't need a new crop, still am working on the "old" one
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #665
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Maryland style Crab Cakes! The supermarkets are filled with fresh crab right now, and I have a real craving for crab cake sandwiches slathered with home-made Tarter Sauce. Guess what I'll be making for dinner tonight!

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #666
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Gluten free Scotch Egg
One boilded egg for each scotch egg
Mmmm... I'm still waiting on the opportunity to make a Scotch Egg out of an ostrich egg.

We're waiting for our local odd-foods place to get more ostrich eggs. Then it's go time.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #667
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
there is a Mediterranean restaurant up north of here, (they serve an odd mixture of Greek and Indian food, so it is hard to say rightly what it is), that has a wonderful cauliflower dish that I have been trying to copy for years. I REALLY want it, maybe time for some internet searching *sigh*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #668
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Pork loin, slathered with Korean spicy bean paste, and roasted...
Most larger supermarkets carry this in the 'Oriental' Section.
Doesn't taste 'Korean.' Doesn't taste spicy.
Only tastes delicious! Gonna make it tonight!

Easy dish. Take one pork loin, a few tablespoons of kochijan (that's the bean paste) and rub it on! Roast until medium rare. Slice thin and serve. Eat. Smile. Then end.

Stitchawl
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #669
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh.
Me gotta go, pole the pirogue down the bayou.
My Yvonne, sweetest one, me oh my oh.
Son of a gun, gonna have big fun on the bayou.

That's right... I've got a big jones for a pot of Jambalaya! I've got some Andouille (sp?) sausage in the fridge, so I just need to pick up some shrimp, chicken, and some green peppers. Already have plenty of onions, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce!

Son of a gun, gonna have big fun on the bayou.

Stitchawl
Old 03-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #670
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Bacon Pancakes!

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #671
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Bacon Pancakes!

kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #672
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Bacon Pancakes!

I like the idea! But I'll bet this picture dates back to the 50's. Can you imagine the outrage that would spread if they used such a stereotyped image of a Negro house maid today? Even Betty Crocker and the Gerber Baby have morphed into the future!

Stitchawl
Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #673
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Pizza with Italian sausage! But I'll have to wait until Sunday to have it. Sundays are 'bust my diet' days. But I'll cut the pizza into only four slices. Eating eight slices would be too much of a diet bust.

Stitchawl
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #674
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Pizza with Italian sausage! But I'll have to wait until Sunday to have it. Sundays are 'bust my diet' days. But I'll cut the pizza into only four slices. Eating eight slices would be too much of a diet bust.

Stitchawl
Better yet, just cut the pizza in half. Just 2 pieces then. Win!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #675
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
I'm craving kfb (kentucky fried poohbear). See the chickens thread.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote