Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
The article posed the very reasonable question of whether the eReading experience was better on an iPad or a Kindle under various lighting conditions. Whether or not the iPad is marketed as an eReader is completely irrelevant.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Interesting experiment. Thanks for the link.

The value of the comparison is higher for those of us who are heavy readers and will consider buying a $400-odd device in the near future, but not two. The writer was clear to separate the conditions so if you never read under open sky just ignore that condition in his report. I do not understand why anyone feels the need to point to it as a deficiency in Jason's report. Some of us do, in fact, read under open skies from time to time.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Interesting experiment. Thanks for the link.

The value of the comparison is higher for those of us who are heavy readers and will consider buying a $400-odd device in the near future, but not two. The writer was clear to separate the conditions so if you never read under open sky just ignore that condition in his report. I do not understand why anyone feels the need to point to it as a deficiency in Jason's report. Some of us do, in fact, read under open skies from time to time.
Agreed.

And having just now read the piece, he was fair and also talked about the benefits of the iPad in dim lighting which many e-ink lovers leave out when bashing lcd screens poor performance in direct sunlight.

So it was a fair comparison IMO.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #19
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac4lt View Post
I have an onyx boox bought just a couple of months ago. I would hope it's been fixed but there are at least some displays that act like this out in the wild.
All you need to do is shade the screen while it refreshes. A piece of paper, the shadow from your hand, or even just angling the screen away from the sun for a moment. I think the heat (or maybe ultraviolet light) gives the screen trouble when it tries to move the dye around.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #20
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Pretty unfair to take the iPad to task for not working in daylight when it's not designed / marketed for such.

If one wants a device to use outdoors, then one should pick a screen suited / designed for such --- an e-ink or transflective LCD (I just picked up a Fujitsu Stylistic 4121 w/ indoor/outdoor screen and am finding it has transformed how I used my Tablet PC).

William
Really? How about using the worst e-ink display (Sony 700) of all time for comparison - fair?
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 AM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Pretty unfair to take the iPad to task for not working in daylight when it's not designed / marketed for such.

If one wants a device to use outdoors, then one should pick a screen suited / designed for such --- an e-ink or transflective LCD (I just picked up a Fujitsu Stylistic 4121 w/ indoor/outdoor screen and am finding it has transformed how I used my Tablet PC).

William
It is a gadget marketed as ebook reader amongst other features. Moreover, one could say that ebook reading is being advertised as one of the most important features of iPad. Since reading outdoors is a very common thing it is a fair thing to do.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #22
daveps
daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Doesn't the Onyx Boox have a touch screen? If so that's why it won't work in full sunlight, same reason you cannot play a Nintendo DS in full sunlight, the touch screen is very reflective?
daveps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #23
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveps View Post
Doesn't the Onyx Boox have a touch screen?

Onyx Boox has Wacom touchscreen which is UNDER the E Ink layer. It works great in full sunlight.

Sunlight problem - washing out during page flip - afflicts only some faulty batches of E Ink screens.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It's not being marketed as an e-reading device...
From Apples own website under their short list of "iPad at a glance":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
...It's being marketed as a multimedia tablet which also happens to include an eBook app.
Yes, that is what I said if you read past my first sentence.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
My biggest gripe with e-ink is needing so much light to read at night in bed or in any low light situation.
The contrast of current eInk screens is on a par with that of newspapers, or cheap paperbacks. They can be read in any light that you could read those in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #26
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
So I don't think it's silly to complain about lcd devices not being good in direct sunlight, but to be objective such reviews should also note that e-ink devices aren't great in dim lighting and require hassling with clip on lights etc.
Eh, you did read the review, right?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #27
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Not at the time of that post, see my later post above where I finally got time to read it and said it was a fair review.

So yeah, first post was off base as I assumed it was more of the typical "if it glows it blows" nonsense from e-ink lovers. But it wasn't and was a fair review of the pros and cons of each type of device.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-22-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The contrast of current eInk screens is on a par with that of newspapers, or cheap paperbacks. They can be read in any light that you could read those in.
Which is why I like LCD.

It's more readable in my typical reading conditions than either e-ink or the cheap paperbacks I usually read before.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #29
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Agreed. It's a very well-done writeup --- it's just that the results shouldn't be surprising to anyone w/ experience w/ the technologies, and it's unfortunate that it doesn't mention the possibilities afforded by other technologies (or turn that around --- it's unfortunate that transflective LCDs aren't more widely available).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #30
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
You expect people to actually read the review that we're discussing? What a silly idea.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote