Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Swen Johnson
Swen Johnson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Feature for Managing Multiple Simultaneous Book Viewers ?

When reading on my PC, I'd like to have something that can track multiple calibre viewers, each potentially open on a different book, and each at a different location within it's book. The idea is to be able to close all the viewer windows at once, and subsequently re-open them all at the same book(s)/positions on demand.

Sort of like the Session Manager functionality in Firefox.

Does anything like this already exist ?

-- Swen
Swen Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, nothing like this exists. I'm curious what's your use case? Browsing some kind of reference text?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Swen Johnson
Swen Johnson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It's a common situation for me: reading a chapter in a coding (reference) book that runs for several pages, with specific examples interspersed between paragraphs of prose. In these cases I first do a shallow read of the entire chapter, then try to do some exercises on my own, referring back to examples only when needed.

Using bookmarks in these situations feels clunky compared to "ALT+TAB"ing. A single viewer with bookmarks is like having to rewind & forward fast a (linear) tape, while jumping around between windows is more "random access".

Being able to close all (or multiple) viewers and bringing them back all at once is useful when I want to take a break and do something else for a few hours (or days).
Swen Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote