Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: September 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 in the Series) by Alexander McCall Smith 5 6.41%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 7 8.97%
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson 12 15.38%
The Chinese Maze Murders by Robert van Gulik (1st Judge Dee mystery by van Gulik) 21 26.92%
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins 6 7.69%
The Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer 3 3.85%
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie 7 8.97%
Bruno, Chief of Police: A Novel Of The French Countryside by Martin Walker 3 3.85%
Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, Book #13) by Jim Butcher 0 0%
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book #1) by Jim Butcher 14 17.95%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #181
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you read about getting The Chinese Maze Murders for only $5.20 in ePub from Sony? See post #172 in this thread.
Sadly Aussies are not allowed access to the Sony Store, good enough to sell their readers to but not to use their ebook store
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #182
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Sadly Aussies are not allowed access to the Sony Store, good enough to sell their readers to but not to use their ebook store
I expect you are being tongue in cheek and realize that was most likely the publishers decision and not Sony's.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #183
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I expect you are being tongue in cheek and realize that was most likely the publishers decision and not Sony's.

BOb
Yes I was I am aware that publishers seem to hold all the cards. However I do not believe Sony even tried our market was too small for them to bother with so they just alinged themselves with Borders and Angus & Robertson it was easier that way for them.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #184
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Woohoo! Just requested an interlibrary loan of The Chinese Maze Murders. Should be arriving shortly. Just enough time to finish up one of the books I'm currently reading.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #185
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Woohoo! Just requested an interlibrary loan of The Chinese Maze Murders. Should be arriving shortly. Just enough time to finish up one of the books I'm currently reading.

Yes I can understand the other reservations expressed by some for The Chinese Maze Murders, but not cost. I prefer ebooks, but will always go with the cheapest and most convenient alternative, especially for a book that is to be a one time read. In this case I just requested the paperback from my library. Convenient and free.
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #186
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's difficult for everyone. I've got myself on a strict book allowance so I evaluate all my purchases a lot. It gets even more difficult when it's a $10 (half my monthly allowance). So I need to do the budget thing. There's usually options for most books from the library, although I've got a couple on my reading list next year that aren't even available at my library or through interlibrary loan. I really like reading on the e-reader so paper library books is third on the list of choices for me. As others have said, sometimes the book club is about getting a few items for the WTR list.

How goes The No. 1?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #187
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Chinese Maze Murders is not #1 in the series in either written or chronological order.

Yes, it is the second book written of Judge Dee stories. But as far as chronological order, it's quite far down the list and it does reference at least one other book that's before it in chronological order.

01. The Chinese Gold Murders
02. Five Auspicious Clouds
03. The Red Tape Murder
04. He Came With the Rain
05. The Lacquer Screen
06. The Chinese Lake Murders
07. The Morning of the Monkey
08. The Haunted Monastery
09. The Murder on the Lotus Pond
10. The Chinese Bell Murders
11. Necklace and Calabash
12. The Two Beggars
13. The Wrong Sword
14. The Red Pavilion
15. The Emperors' Pearl
16. Poets and Murder
17. The Chinese Maze Murders
18. The Phantom of the Temple
19. The Coffins of the Emperor
20. Murder on New Year's Eve
21. The Chinese Nail Murders
22. The Night of the Tiger
23. The Willow Pattern
24. Murder in Canton

I'm going to read it. In fact, I started it last night. But, can whoever nominates a book in a series, please take some time and make sure it is either the first book or all the books in front have been read for the book club? It would be better if we didn't skip around in a series.

I know I thirded Ghost Story, but I know it wasn't going to win and I wanted to get to the vote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #188
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
The Chinese Maze Murders is not #1 in the series in either written or chronological order.

Yes, it is the second book written of Judge Dee stories. But as far as chronological order, it's quite far down the list and it does reference at least one other book that's before it in chronological order....
Yes it does: Number 10 on your list, The Chinese Bell Murders. I noticed that as well. (Location 2866, for those of you who are reading it on a Kindle.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #189
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yes it does: Number 10 on your list, The Chinese Bell Murders. I noticed that as well. (Location 2866, for those of you who are reading it on a Kindle.)
To be honest, this book feels like there's a lot of information about characters that may have been given in easier books. I do feel that we are missing things we should have read about. This is why I dislike reading a series out of order. The Chinese Maze Murders feels incomplete. I feel like we are getting snippets of things that we would have complete information had we started from the beginning.

So please everyone don't do this again. Research what you are nominating if it is part of a series. Make sure it's #1 or we've read all that go in front. This series is probably best read in chronological order and that puts this book way too far down the list to start with.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #190
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Interesting: Amazon has The Chinese Gold Murders listed as book #2.

Does anyone know the true order of these books...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Interesting: Amazon has The Chinese Gold Murders listed as book #2.

Does anyone know the true order of these books...
http://www.ude.de/gulik/chronology.html

That seems to be the proper order to read these and that makes this one way down the list.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #192
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
http://www.ude.de/gulik/chronology.html

That seems to be the proper order to read these and that makes this one way down the list.
Yep. Oh well, maybe those currently reading it can enjoy it as it is, anyway.
I was looking up The Chinese Gold Murders to see if I'd be interested. Unfortunately, it is not currently available as an e-book; at least not on Amazon.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #193
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I found the explanation for the reference to Chinese Bell Murders in the earlier Chinese Maze Murders here.

His first effort in that direction was to translate and publish in 1949 one of the old stories, the Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee or the Dee Goong An.

<snip>

The publication of the Dee Goong An did not have quite the effect van Gulik wished, since it did not inspire a revival of the literature. So, he decided to revive the literature himself, by writing the The Chinese Maze Murders. This was published in Japanese in 1951 and in Chinese in 1953. These books were successful, and van Gulik wrote two more, The Chinese Bell Murders and The Chinese Lake Murders.

<snip>

Van Gulik had actually written his stories first in English, and he soon decided to proceed with their publication in that language also. The English preface of The Chinese Maze Murders is dated 1956 -- after the 1951 Japanese and the 1953 Chinese editions. Van Gulik evidently rewrote the three books slightly for the editions in English, since there is a reference in the Maze Murders to the Bell Murders and a reference in the Bell Murders to the Lake Murders, even though the latter books were written subsequent, not prior, to the former ones. In the chronology of Judge Dee's life, van Gulik at first wrote books from his later life and then moved forward.

Quote:
Proper? Oy. Written chronology or character chronology? That seems an everyone for herself/himself kind of decision. Me, I wouldn't think of reading The Magician's Nephew before The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. And if you opt for written order, everyone (but one) agrees that Chinese Maze Murders was, as the University of Chicago Press puts it, "Robert van Gulik’s first venture into writing suspense novels." Or as the quote from Wikipedia cited above by Tom has it, "Van Gulik's novels and stories made no direct reference to the original Chinese work and so Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee is not considered to be part of the Judge Dee series. "
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #194
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Published order (or written order, in the event those two conflict, as in this case) is always the way to read a series (IMO) unless the author(s) expressly indicates otherwise. Internal series chronology is of relatively little importance. Otherwise, the term prequel would have no meaning.

Think about what order someone would have read them in had they started reading them before they were all published.

So, since this is the 2nd book written in the series, there's a valid concern that some important background may be missing from the first written book (I just happen to think it's a very small concern since it was van Gulik's first). But I think it would be silly to expect someone to verify that a book is the very first according to the series' own internal chronology before nominating it for the book club.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #195
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
To be honest, this book feels like there's a lot of information about characters that may have been given in easier books. I do feel that we are missing things we should have read about. This is why I dislike reading a series out of order. The Chinese Maze Murders feels incomplete. I feel like we are getting snippets of things that we would have complete information had we started from the beginning....
I didn't feel that way, and had no problem following the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I found the explanation for the reference to Chinese Bell Murders in the earlier Chinese Maze Murders here.

...Van Gulik had actually written his stories first in English, and he soon decided to proceed with their publication in that language also. The English preface of The Chinese Maze Murders is dated 1956 -- after the 1951 Japanese and the 1953 Chinese editions. Van Gulik evidently rewrote the three books slightly for the editions in English, since there is a reference in the Maze Murders to the Bell Murders and a reference in the Bell Murders to the Lake Murders, even though the latter books were written subsequent, not prior, to the former ones. In the chronology of Judge Dee's life, van Gulik at first wrote books from his later life and then moved forward.[/I]
That appears to be a very satisfactory explanation as to why a reference to a later work appears in an earlier publication.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote