Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Loading titles into Reader Contents

I have a huge collection of etexts, many of which I like to have available on my reader (currently using Tungsten T5) for variety's sake, and when I finally get my Sony Reader I would like to do the same.

I have read the posts cautioning that the memory cards should only be removed while the power is on, and I have made a note of that.

My question concerns leaving a memory card which contains lots of books in the slot - will the reader re-load that list each time I turn it on, or will it simply check to see if the card has changed and then only re-read the list if the card has changed?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Reader has a "flat" file system and it's somewhat tedious to deal with a very long list of books. Most of us have, for that reason, abandoned the idea of using a large memory card to carry around our entire book library with us, outwardly attractive though that idea may at first be. In fact many of us have abandoned the use of memory cards at all - the Reader has about 92MB of internal memory (yes, I know the Sony site says 64MB!) and compresses files that you put into main memory extremely efficiently, which means that you can store 100+ "normal" novels in main memory, which should be enough for even the longest trip. Given the file system, you really don't want to deal with many more files than that - believe me . Another reason for not using a memory card is that you get significantly better battery life that way.

What I would personally suggest is that you use your PC as your book "library" and only keep a few dozen books on the Reader.

To answer your original question - the Reader only "re-indexes" a memory card if it detects that it's been replaced. A Reader never really "turns off"; switching the power off just basically blanks the screen and disables the buttons, so when you switch it on again it's an instant start-up and you're exactly where you were when you switched off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Thank you very much for your kindness in answering my questions so promptly.

I have now begun to form a plan of attack for using the reader when I can finally buy it.

It really sounds like the answer (or at least the best current answer) to a long-held dream of mine, ever since I began reading ebooks on my old Palm IIIxe.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're very welcome; please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I use the internal memory for books and an SD card just for music. It's been proven here that reading books which reside on the SD card drops your battery life faster than the internal memory.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I use the internal memory for books and an SD card just for music. It's been proven here that reading books which reside on the SD card drops your battery life faster than the internal memory.
True, true. But what great sounds.

Sis has a book-on-tape and reads while she listens. Strange kid.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
... will the reader re-load that list each time I turn it on, or will it simply check to see if the card has changed and then only re-read the list if the card has changed?
I've experimented with this a bit, and it does seem to look at the whole card every time it's inserted -- even if I just pull it out and stick it right back in. That aligns with what they told us back in September at the Blogger's Day, so it wasn't really a surprise to me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
acantha
acantha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
It's been proven here that reading books which reside on the SD card drops your battery life faster than the internal memory.
really? thats not surprising when i consider the technical aspects, but i have to say i haven't noticed it in personal experience. i've got a *#$%tonne of books on my reader, half of them on the card, and i've gotten great battery life. is it a significant drop?
acantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It varies from card to card, brand to brand really. The higher end brands seem to suck less juice than the lower end ones.

If you've got a brand name like Lexar or SanDisk, or some such, you'd probably never notice.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
There was that thread where a guy hooked it up to a lab-grade power meter and found that energy usage spike on page turns was something like 20% longer when the book was being read from a card (either SD or MS) than from the internal memory. Like Natch says, some cards faired better than others it seemed, but any card used more juice than the internal memory.

Now 20% more power usage means you've have to charge it every 4,000 pages instead of 5,000, so it's not like it's going to make the Reader unusable or something.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As I remember he also proved that PDF files take more juice per page that LRS, RTF, or DOC files.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #12
Plowman
Plowman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Yeah, I have a very large collection of ebooks as well, but only have 15-25 on the reader at any given time. That way when I finish a book I can usually pick and choose what to read on a whim. Putting the books into collections is a must. That way I can basically group them how I normally would based a combination of Author and Series (like Butcher, Jim - Dresden Files).
Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote