Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #16
Mr Meanor
He's a role-model.
Mr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enough

Device: PPC1, KA One, Cybook G3, Kindle PW, PRS-950, PRS-505, Tab 2, Mac5K
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Hmm ... and it appears from your list of devices that you didn't get a new one, so I can't ask if you managed to find one that worked.

I'm starting to wonder if I should have put up a thread asking if anyone has an Aura One that has reliable and accurate touch.
Having other display and control devices that suffer with occasional calibration issues were I to find an issue like that appearing on my KA1 it would annoy me but I must admit I have found no issues whatsoever with my KA1 with regards to accuracy of the tap zones.
Mr Meanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #17
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I do see problems with the accuracy of the touch screen in my Aura One. Like David (DNSB), I have pretty much learned to live with it--and it doesn't bother me any more. I just know to tap just slightly to the left of the selection. I use my Aura One exclusively for reading Kepub fiction and never do any highlighting. I can see this being a real annoyance for someone who does a large amount of highlighting in their books, but for my uses it's a non-issue.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Meanor View Post
Having other display and control devices that suffer with occasional calibration issues were I to find an issue like that appearing on my KA1 it would annoy me but I must admit I have found no issues whatsoever with my KA1 with regards to accuracy of the tap zones.
Thanks. It is interesting to know that they don't all all have this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I do see problems with the accuracy of the touch screen in my Aura One. Like David (DNSB), I have pretty much learned to live with it--and it doesn't bother me any more. I just know to tap just slightly to the left of the selection. I use my Aura One exclusively for reading Kepub fiction and never do any highlighting. I can see this being a real annoyance for someone who does a large amount of highlighting in their books, but for my uses it's a non-issue.
I'm a writer and it is sometimes convenient to do some editing passes in the comfort of a lounge chair with the e-reader. It's one of the reasons why I wanted the extra size of the Aura One. (Though nothing yet beats printing it out and sitting down with a coloured pen.)

So far (but I haven't had it long) I have not had much problem with text highlighting on my Aura One (other than a slight tendency to interpret my gesture as a page turn, but that's probably down to me needing more practice). The inaccuracy on my reader seems restricted to button/menu controls.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #19
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Hmm ... and it appears from your list of devices that you didn't get a new one, so I can't ask if you managed to find one that worked.
I didn't get a new one because between that and the backlight it wasn't working out for me. For somebody with different usage patterns it might have been fine.

For instance, I read the same book simultaneously on different readers, from different eco-systems. So it matters to me how quickly I can find the place I left off. On the KA1, because of the offset touch response, I usually didn't manage to bring up the popup to change location on the first try. And then, IIRC, I couldn't directly enter a page number but had to manipulate a scroll bar, which was difficult with inconsistent touch.

And as far as the backlight goes, I mostly kept the KA1 for home reading since it was less portable than 6" devices. That meant more of my reading on it was done in low light conditions, or even in the dark. But the backlight doesn't go dark enough for me (contrast with Kindle Paper White) and when you turn the light down, the consistency of the "natural" light becomes worse, just when you need it the most!

If I didn't want to skip around pages or read in the dark, I might have put up with the touch screen. The rest of the Kobo was quite good (well, it was a bit slow maybe).
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 AM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks radius, that was interesting reading. Yes the lack of Goto page number is a bit annoying, and yes the control over the light at the low end is not great (it goes dark enough for me, but takes a lot of fiddling - very similar to finding a specific page with the scroll thingy).

Totally off topic: Just found a cute trick. When I set my Aura One (sleep cover folded back/open), down on top of my Sony (in its closed cover), the Aura goes to sleep. Pick it up and it wakes up again. Must the the way the magnets are aligned.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:57 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The H20, both the original with Infra Red, and the new with Capactitive, have very accurate touch response.

Doesn't the new H2O use IR also?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #22
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Totally off topic: Just found a cute trick. When I set my Aura One (sleep cover folded back/open), down on top of my Sony (in its closed cover), the Aura goes to sleep. Pick it up and it wakes up again. Must the the way the magnets are aligned.
This happens to me with my Voyage, Kobo Aura One, and Kobo Aura HD when I'm eating outside at a metal table. When I fold the cover back to set the reader down and place it on the table the reader will go to sleep. I have to fold up a napkin and place it between the cover and the back of the reader to avoid this.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't the new H2O use IR also?
No it doesn't.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
Yes it does:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/...osd-card-slot/

I don't know who is correct.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #25
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
I had noticed that the touch input was bad on the Aura ONE compared to the Glo HD but I didn't realize there was a pattern. I've attached the results I get when I draw straight lines on the aforementioned devices. If the error between the expected and actual touch points was consistent, then the lines would be straight on the Aura ONE: they aren't, so the discrepancy evolves through time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glo_hd-drawing-20170922_160305.png
Views:	164
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	159139   Click image for larger version

Name:	aura_one-drawing-20170922_160316.png
Views:	128
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	159140  
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #26
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes it does:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/...osd-card-slot/

I don't know who is correct.

No, it does not. Easy to test with a soft (try not to scrach your screen) non-conductive oject, (like the eraser on the back of a pencil)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:32 AM   #27
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
I had noticed that the touch input was bad on the Aura ONE compared to the Glo HD but I didn't realize there was a pattern. I've attached the results I get when I draw straight lines on the aforementioned devices. If the error between the expected and actual touch points was consistent, then the lines would be straight on the Aura ONE: they aren't, so the discrepancy evolves through time.
That is an interesting demonstration, and I guess might explain some of the inconsistency I am seeing ... although not why I only seem to see it on the input controls and not when selecting text (perhaps there's a timing thing going on there with the need for the long-tap to start it).

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:05 AM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
This happens to me with my Voyage, Kobo Aura One, and Kobo Aura HD when I'm eating outside at a metal table. When I fold the cover back to set the reader down and place it on the table the reader will go to sleep. I have to fold up a napkin and place it between the cover and the back of the reader to avoid this.
Some experimenting shows that I can avoid the issue on my Aura One by disabling the Sleepcover "Automatically sleep and wake up" option (Settings / Energy saving and privacy, page 2). Of course this leaves the reader as just going to sleep after the 15 minute timeout rather than on close.

Not that it really bothers me, I was just curious.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #29
dordale
Wizard

Quote:
Some experimenting shows that I can avoid the issue on my Aura One by disabling the Sleepcover "Automatically sleep and wake up" option (Settings / Energy saving and privacy, page 2). Of course this leaves the reader as just going to sleep after the 15 minute timeout rather than on close.

Not that it really bothers me, I was just curious.
Interesting...I'll have to try this just for curiosity's sake.

And you can always use the power on/off button to turn the reader off when you're done reading to immediately turn the reader off rather than waiting for the reader to timeout.