Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Sometimes I can't open a book at all

Yesterday, I started experiencing a new issue with my Cybook. Sometimes when I turn the Cybook on and attempt to open a book, nothing happens....I cannot open the book and once I've attempted to open a book, I can not move down to other books - the navigational button does not respond at all. If I turn the Cybook off, the Cybook will not turn off, but will "reboot". That is, it will turn off and turn back on again. If I attempt to open a book, the same thing happens. I've had to turn it off and let it reboot, then turn it off again (this time it really turns off and stays off). Then when I turn the Cybook on again, I am often (but not always) able to open a book.

Also, I don't think the reset button on the back of the Cybook does anything either. When I first experienced this problem, I pressed the reset button and nothing happened at all.

I sure wish Bookeen would get to it and release their promised firmware update......
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Also, I don't think the reset button on the back of the Cybook does anything either. When I first experienced this problem, I pressed the reset button and nothing happened at all.
Nothing "visible" does happen when you press the reset button. It switches the machine off but, with the display being eInk, the image being displayed just stays there. Pressing the power switch will, however, reboot the machine.

I've had to use the reset button on a few occasions when dictionary lookup has locked the machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
dhcalva
Enthusiast
dhcalva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Yesterday, I started experiencing a new issue with my Cybook. Sometimes when I turn the Cybook on and attempt to open a book, nothing happens....I cannot open the book and once I've attempted to open a book, I can not move down to other books - the navigational button does not respond at all. If I turn the Cybook off, the Cybook will not turn off, but will "reboot". That is, it will turn off and turn back on again. If I attempt to open a book, the same thing happens. I've had to turn it off and let it reboot, then turn it off again (this time it really turns off and stays off). Then when I turn the Cybook on again, I am often (but not always) able to open a book.
I'm currently experiancing this same problem. And it just started last night. I can't open any books at all, including the Cybook users's guide. Correction, I can open one book... The one I was reading before this started.
dhcalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like you may have a corrupt file system.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
dhcalva
Enthusiast

Maybe. Right now I'm trying a batch --gen3imagefix using mobi2mobi to see if that might be the problem.

But I also have an email in to bookeen support so hopefully they will come back with something. I've reformated the SD card once and it hasn't seemed to have helped, so maybe the internal storage is corrupt.

Told them I'd like to try erasing and reflashing the device, but that I'd need help with that.
Advert
Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Ever since I stopped syncing books to the SD card in the Cybook, I have not had any problems. Every now and then the Cybook becomes unresponsive, but then all I've had to do is turn it off and on and it has worked fine.

The 1 GB SD card I use is not one that came with the Cybook, but one I bought separately.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
dhcalva
Enthusiast

I usually keep all my ebooks on the Cybook, so I rather need to use the SD card to sync to.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcalva View Post
I usually keep all my ebooks on the Cybook, so I rather need to use the SD card to sync to.
I don't understand what you mean. I use an SD card in my Cybook and put most all my books on the SD card. I do not sync to the SD card. I copy the books directly to the SD card (my computer has an SD slot in it, but if it didn't I would use a USB card reader).
Old 02-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcalva View Post
Maybe. Right now I'm trying a batch --gen3imagefix using mobi2mobi to see if that might be the problem.
That can definitely be the problem. When I read your description of the problem I thought it was a book that had worked before that had stopped working. If a new book does not work and the cybook hangs or turns itself off it is usually related to this image bug in the reader.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
dhcalva
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That can definitely be the problem. When I read your description of the problem I thought it was a book that had worked before that had stopped working. If a new book does not work and the cybook hangs or turns itself off it is usually related to this image bug in the reader.
New problem. Now it won't go past the booting screen at all.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

At the risk of repeating myself, it sounds to me VERY much as though you have a corrupt file system. I'd suggest that you write to "support@bookeen.com" and request reflashing instructions.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
dhcalva
Enthusiast

They've given me reflashing instructions. I've tried reflashing. The cybook is not getting far enough into booting to allow me into the reflashing software. The power light never turns off at all. I left it on for an hour once, stayed at the 'Bookeen Cybook' ect booting screen the whole time with the green power light on.

I'm now waiting for them to send me instructions on how to return it for repair.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What a nuisance for you . Given the (apparent) new super-efficiency of their e-mail answering, I can only hope, for your sake, that they are equally efficient at replacing it for you. Please do keep us updated as to progress.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
dhcalva
Enthusiast

Well, I shipped it back to them on Tuesday.

A word of advise for anyone shipping things back... Use USPS to do it. UPS wants to charge $91 for it. But if you do it using USPS online it's only $30.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #15
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
No idea about the "why" but I may have an idea "what" is happening:
I had comparable issues when trying to open certain PDF files (which we by now know to sometimes crash the Cybook).
The unresponsive behaviour is due to the fact that the Cybook has already crashed. Because of the eInk technology used your screen doesn't just go blank when it crashes but leaves the last seen screen displayed. So when you try to press buttons nothing happens because the book - even though you still see the page - is in fact already switched off (this includes pressing the reset button which just clears the memory but leaves the device switched off).
If you then try to switch it off, you actually switch it on (because it was really already off).

I know this is pretty confusing in the beginning (took me some time, too) but I hope to have helped clear a few things up.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote