Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Does anyone know yet if they used a smaller battery in the PW4? That might explain a slightly shorter battery life.
PW3 = 1420mAh / 5.25Wh
PW4 = 1500mAh / 5.7Wh
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That's the thing. Afaik, Amazon used a slightly larger battery on the PW4 (1500 mAh) vs PW3 (1420 mAh?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
PW3 = 1420mAh / 5.25Wh
PW4 = 1500mAh / 5.7Wh
Well, so much for my "slightly smaller battery" theory. Maybe the extra LED is causing a bit faster battery drain?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, so much for my "slightly smaller battery" theory. Maybe the extra LED is causing a bit faster battery drain?
Quite possible but surely that shouldn't affect standby/sleep?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #34
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
I am the OP.
Expectations have pitfalls. So do comparisons such as comparing my new Paperwhite with my 2013 Paperwhite (cost $0) which had dramatically better battery life than my new one
(cost $249). This is another First World problem for me. Thanks for the suggestions.
I assume those prices are American dollars and you got the model with cellular communication. You mention turning off WiFi, did you turn off the cellular modem as well?
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #35
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Kindles with cellular and wifi have airplane mode, and airplane mode disabled. That's it.

If a known wifi is present with airplane mode disabled, that will be used, otherwise cellular wil;l be attempted.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Quite possible but surely that shouldn't affect standby/sleep?
Alright, I'll quit guessing. I hope the issue, if it's fairly major, is found and corrected. I think I, personally, would be more tempted to get the PW3, mostly because I like the darker text. But, if it has better battery life, that would be another plus.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:34 AM   #37
ramona11
ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon say:

So that works out at 6 x 7 x 0.5 = 21h reading time, which sounds pretty much on a par with what you’re getting.

Thanks HarryT! I’m a newbie in this e-reader stuff, and still deciding which one to buy.
ramona11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #38
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
Hey guys i'm worried about battery too. PW4 arrived just friday, i updated jailbreaked, put all my books from calibre, charged until the led was green (oddly the percentage indicated was 96%. from that point i just made some test with the light, read not more than 2-3 hours i think, "played with it" a bit (i mean, tried all kind of stuff). i used wifi intermittently (doesn't have it at home , i use the hotspot from my phone), no BT and light to read always at <10. Right now i'm at 65%... WTH? Coming from a K4, i mean i know that was without light and the system was really basic and everything, but i actually never worried about battery there... at least 2-3 weeks of use or even a month without problem... Is this about the high percentage coming down faster perhaps? i don't use wifi but i don't use airplane mode (just cause i don't like the icon xd), that drain battery (i i did the same thing with my K4)? never shut down the screen too, always on simple standby but i thought that basically doesn't use battery.
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #39
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Just read about indexing... oddly it doesn't seem the case. i just added like 200 books. If i do a research with "." nothing comes out, not any indication that says "X books are still indexing, just "no results". right now it is at 62%, so 3% in... 30 minutes? i'm swiping everywhere but i don't even have the light on. What do you think? should i try to do again a full recharge?
Old 11-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kript96 View Post
Just read about indexing... oddly it doesn't seem the case. i just added like 200 books. If i do a research with "." nothing comes out, not any indication that says "X books are still indexing, just "no results".
Are you sure that on the "No Results" page, the "Text in Books" tab is not enabled? That's where you'll see the number of books remaining to be indexed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #41
kript96
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure that on the "No Results" page, the "Text in Books" tab is not enabled? That's where you'll see the number of books remaining to be indexed.
I'm pretty sure, right now i'm sure (text in books is 0 and not enabled like dictionary or wikipedia). Since that text it's still 62... I'm thinking to do a full recharge, and see the results tonight after my 1-2 hours of reading
Old 11-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #42
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just compared battery drain on my PW3-4GB wifi (5.10.1.1) and PW4-32GB wifi (5.10.1.2), wifi on, brightness set to 6, Bookerly, size 5.

I read three ~10K word chapters (I was doing my reading on the PW3 and just turned the pages on PW simultaneously). Drain was 3% on both devices and the occasional check does seem to support ~1% per chapter. Alas, I didn't take note of the time I started so no idea how long I read for.

As for charging, do note that even Androids and iPhones show full charge when they reach 95% and just do trickle charging so as to extend battery longevity. Leave it overnight or something and it'll get to 100% eventually.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #43
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

P.S. It's possible that newer firmware drains battery more quickly than older ones. Alas, that one's more difficult to measure given there's no battery percentage display on older firmware.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #44
kript96
Enthusiast

Quote:
P.S. It's possible that newer firmware drains battery more quickly than older ones. Alas, that one's more difficult to measure given there's no battery percentage display on older firmware.
Yes battery percentage actually makes me a little anxious anyway starting tonight i'll start to monitor the battery percentage then i'll report here. It's possible that it goes down from full to 65 cause the indexing, i hope so.
Anyway i think i can't expect to reach my old kindle given that it has an older firmware, no light and 1800 mAh against the 1500 of PW4

Should i put the kindle in airplane mode, even if i'm not actually connected to any wifi ?

Last edited by kript96; 11-25-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, switching on airplane mode will significantly reduce power consumption.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote