Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Custom fonts on Kindle Voyage?

I've checked on Google and on here and can't find it, but the last I knew it was not possible to add a custom font to a Voyage, or even substitute a different font for one of the original ones.

Could someone in the know please confirm if this is still the case?

Thank you.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't change the device's built-in fonts, but it's easy to embed a custom font in a book, should you wish to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
If you are able to jailbreak it the fonts hack will let you install a font and substitute it. I used it for a while but found every firmware update was breaking it and I had to reinstall the font hack each time to keep it working. When my Voyage was broken (my fault) and I replaced it with an Oasis I didn't bother jail breaking it. I suppose it's a matter of how important it is to you.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
If you are able to jailbreak it the fonts hack will let you install a font and substitute it. I used it for a while but found every firmware update was breaking it and I had to reinstall the font hack each time to keep it working. When my Voyage was broken (my fault) and I replaced it with an Oasis I didn't bother jail breaking it. I suppose it's a matter of how important it is to you.
I'd echo this as a fair summary of the situation. Please also note that I've just recently jailbroken my Voyage before updating the firmware to 5.8.5. KUAL and the screensaver hack seem to work fine on 5.8.5, but I couldn't get the font hack to work at all. Whether this is a temporary thing occasioned by a new firmware, I don't know, but it seems likely.

I do have to say that I personally don't feel very comfortable with the overwriting approach, anyway - you may feel differently, of course! Back when I last had a jailbroken Kindle, it was possible to display and select the other fonts you'd installed via the hack in the Kindle's menu, which I vastly preferred. Obviously, doing that has since been made impossible by newer firmwares, and your only option on later firmwares is to overwrite an existing font.

Out of interest, Harry, is there any performance issue from having a lot of books with embedded fonts on a Kindle? I use a Voyage, and I have approx. 660 books, none of which have embedded fonts at the moment. I've just tested a book with an embedded font (ChareInk), and obviously the file size is larger, but performance on the device seems otherwise fine. I'd like to do this for my entire library, but I'd rather not if it's going to adversely affect my Kindle/make it sluggish, though. Any tips greatly appreciated!
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croker View Post
I'd echo this as a fair summary of the situation. Please also note that I've just recently jailbroken my Voyage before updating the firmware to 5.8.5. KUAL and the screensaver hack seem to work fine on 5.8.5, but I couldn't get the font hack to work at all. Whether this is a temporary thing occasioned by a new firmware, I don't know, but it seems likely.

I do have to say that I personally don't feel very comfortable with the overwriting approach, anyway - you may feel differently, of course! Back when I last had a jailbroken Kindle, it was possible to display and select the other fonts you'd installed via the hack in the Kindle's menu, which I vastly preferred. Obviously, doing that has since been made impossible by newer firmwares, and your only option on later firmwares is to overwrite an existing font.

Out of interest, Harry, is there any performance issue from having a lot of books with embedded fonts on a Kindle? I use a Voyage, and I have approx. 660 books, none of which have embedded fonts at the moment. I've just tested a book with an embedded font (ChareInk), and obviously the file size is larger, but performance on the device seems otherwise fine. I'd like to do this for my entire library, but I'd rather not if it's going to adversely affect my Kindle/make it sluggish, though. Any tips greatly appreciated!
Have you installed Python?
Did you install Python BEFORE installing the font add-in?

Go to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219405

Open the spoiler under the section: "Installation" and check your work carefully.

- - - -

The re-installation of add-ins after an update -
That has been true ever since (about) firmware version 5.1.2 when Amazon switched to complete image updates.

It is one of the main reasons for MrPI -
Which runs in 'batch mode' - allowing you to re-install everything at once (just put all of your update_*.bin packages in /mrpackages at the same time).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Have you installed Python?
Did you install Python BEFORE installing the font add-in?

Go to:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219405

Open the spoiler under the section: "Installation" and check your work carefully.
Knc1, can I be frank? You gave me some excellent answers to my questions recently when I was looking into jailbreaking my Voyage, and for that I am grateful. However, when I have encountered problems and have happened to mention that on these forums, your last couple of responses have come across as incredibly patronising. For example, the needless caps and the whole "check your work carefully" is totally unnecessary here. I'm not a 10 year old kid, and speaking to me like one isn't really an endearing trait.

I appreciate that this may not have been your intention, but this last post of yours in particular really did not come over well to me at all.

Allow me to elaborate - for the record, yes, I have installed Python, and yes, I did so BEFORE installing the font add-in. I know I've installed it, as the first hack I installed was the screensaver hack, and that requires Python to be installed in order for it to work (at least, it does if you wish to use the 'Cover' function, which is why I installed it at that point). For reference, the screensaver hack works fine on my KV.

Moreover, the instructions you linked to are the ones I was following to try and install the font hack. The specific problem I encountered was the font files I'd copied (into the linkfonts/fonts folder) would not appear under the "Custom" sub-menu, after selecting "Font Overrides > Populate this menu". Nor did they appear under any of the custom or amazon menus, as it happens. I also followed the advice of hitting "Font Overrides > ** Refresh **" when the menu didn't populate (even though I don't have a heavy KUAL extensions folder, nor a lot of custom fonts), and that didn't work either. Other than those suggestions, there was nothing else stated in the instructions as a possible solution to this problem.

After going back through the instructions again (twice in fact), to make sure I hadn't missed anything, I was still unable to get this hack to work on 5.8.5. Now, is it possible that I am still making some kind of user error? Absolutely it is, although I've done my level best to find it thus far. However, if this hack's failure to work on my KV is because of me, it isn't because I haven't checked my work thoroughly.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
KUAL > Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache

Then Populate/Refresh...
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Knc1, can I be frank? You gave me some excellent answers to my questions recently when I was looking into jailbreaking my Voyage, and for that I am grateful. However, when I have encountered problems and have happened to mention that on these forums, your last couple of responses have come across as incredibly patronising. For example, the needless caps and the whole "check your work carefully" is totally unnecessary here. I'm not a 10 year old kid, and speaking to me like one isn't really an endearing trait.

I appreciate that this may not have been your intention, but this last post of yours in particular really did not come over well to me at all.

Allow me to elaborate - for the record, yes, I have installed Python, and yes, I did so BEFORE installing the font add-in. I know I've installed it, as the first hack I installed was the screensaver hack, and that requires Python to be installed in order for it to work (at least, it does if you wish to use the 'Cover' function, which is why I installed it at that point). For reference, the screensaver hack works fine on my KV.

Moreover, the instructions you linked to are the ones I was following to try and install the font hack. The specific problem I encountered was the font files I'd copied (into the linkfonts/fonts folder) would not appear under the "Custom" sub-menu, after selecting "Font Overrides > Populate this menu". Nor did they appear under any of the custom or amazon menus, as it happens. I also followed the advice of hitting "Font Overrides > ** Refresh **" when the menu didn't populate (even though I don't have a heavy KUAL extensions folder, nor a lot of custom fonts), and that didn't work either. Other than those suggestions, there was nothing else stated in the instructions as a possible solution to this problem.

After going back through the instructions again (twice in fact), to make sure I hadn't missed anything, I was still unable to get this hack to work on 5.8.5. Now, is it possible that I am still making some kind of user error? Absolutely it is, although I've done my level best to find it thus far. However, if this hack's failure to work on my KV is because of me, it isn't because I haven't checked my work thoroughly.
The above quote contains a description of what you have done in detail.

Details that you have not provided before.
Until that post, you have been feeding us information in disconnected bits and pieces the same way a young child would.

The "tone" is from your expecting us to be able to read over your shoulder or channel into your mind.

Is there anything else that you have done that lead up to this situation, that you have not yet mentioned?
Please don't make me continue to ask you a question about each and every point along the route.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Don't expect this to work.

You know our Update_*.bin packages are model locked.
The fonts add-in is also firmware version specific.
This package does test the firmware version and should not install on firmware version that are not supported.

But the test is not strict enough for Amazon/Lab126's use of what should be a descriptive version numbering.

Notice that they skipped 5.8.3 and 5.8.4 - that is easy to spot.
But what is not immediately obvious without digging into the internals, is that 5.8.5 should actually be numbered 5.9.0
So the package testing for 5.8.* will install but will not work on something that is actually 5.9.*

NiLuJe is expecting to have some free time during the next school break and may be able to fix this for the KT2-5.8.5 users.

OR
Repeat the current jailbreak instructions and just don't update to 5.8.5 update to something known to work with the font add-in.
(which is why I include direct links to older versions - to handle situations like this).

Your choice, run 5.8.5 and wait for NiLuJe or run something earlier that the font add-in supports.

Last edited by knc1; 10-23-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #10
Croker
Connoisseur

Quote:
The above quote contains a description of what you have done in detail.

Details that you have not provided before.
Until that post, you have been feeding us information in disconnected bits and pieces the same way a young child would.

The "tone" is from your expecting us to be able to read over your shoulder or channel into your mind.

Is there anything else that you have done that lead up to this situation, that you have not yet mentioned?
Please don't make me continue to ask you a question about each and every point along the route.
I'm not making you do anything - I didn't even ask for help, from you or from anyone else. I simply made a statement that, for me, the font hack wasn't working on my KV running firmware 5.8.5. I don't know if me stating that is some kind of personal affront to you, but you seem to be acting like it is, which I just find utterly baffling.

Anyway, of your own volition - not at my request - you then leapt in with your patronising "check your work" routine. You could have just typed "Did you install Python before the font add-in?" or "Were these (link) the instructions you followed when installing it?" Or, you know, maybe not even have replied at all, since I hadn't asked for assistance. There's a lot of things you could have done, in fact, that would have been infinitely preferable to what you actually did.

Similarly, with your second response - I've taken the time to respond in details to the questions YOU asked, and explained about your tone in the (obviously forlorn) hope that how your earlier post came across was a misunderstanding on my part. What do I get in response? An accusation that I am communicating with you in the manner of a young child.

On top of that, you then claim that I'm expecting you and/or the rest of the community to "read over [my] shoulder or channel into [my] mind". Again, for clarity - I didn't ask for help from anyone here, I made an observation about what had happened to me. You're basically insulting me for making an unclear request for help - despite my not having made a request for help! Unsurprisingly, I tend not to take kindly to strangers berating me for things I haven't actually done.

I'm certainly not making you continue to ask questions, either - whether you do so is entirely up to you. I've not sought your help in this case, and yet here you are, complaining about it and attempting to belittle me about it. Your responses, by the way, have actually gone some way to dissuading me from seeking help here in the future, if I'm totally honest. I would suggest, however, that if you'd like further information from anyone here, you might start or a far more polite footing?

I'm an infrequent poster, but a long-standing member of this community, and I am extremely disappointed to have been on the receiving end of your behaviour - it isn't something I've witnessed here before, and I wouldn't wish it on myself or anyone else. As such, I've felt obliged to report your post (the second time I've had to do this in 24 hours, as it happens, although I've yet to receive a response from a moderator) as I feel you are being incredibly rude and condescending, and you appear to be incapable of recognising this. Your second reply here, for me, completely underlines that.

(EDIT: It now transpires, from the post you made whilst I was typing this, that the font hack won't work with firmware 5.8.5 yet - so it's not a case of user error at all, which makes the hullaballoo on your part here - to my eyes at least - even more needless than it was already).

Last edited by Croker; 10-23-2016 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Update regarding firmware in light of knc1's subsequent post.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
(EDIT: It now transpires, from the post you made whilst I was typing this, that the font hack won't work with firmware 5.8.5 yet - so it's not a case of user error at all, which makes the hullaballoo on your part here - to my eyes at least - even more needless than it was already).
The officially released font hack might not work, but the latest snapshot release (r13420) works on my PW2 with the 5.8.5 firmware release (after selecting Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Clear fontconfig cache and Fonts > Restart the KF8 & KFX readers now).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:58 AM   #12
Croker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The officially released font hack might not work, but the latest snapshot release (r13420) works on my PW2 with the 5.8.5 firmware release (after selecting Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Clear fontconfig cache and Fonts > Restart the KF8 & KFX readers now).
Doitsu, I appreciate your input. I've tried the approach you describe, but it didn't work for me, either.

I'm at a loss to explain it, but thanks anyway.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:46 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Doitsu, I appreciate your input. I've tried the approach you describe, but it didn't work for me, either.

I'm at a loss to explain it, but thanks anyway.
Sometimes I had to select the font menu and switch fonts to and back from Bookerly or Caecilia for it to work.

Also if you open a book you still might see the old font until you swipe several times to display the previous/following pages.

BTW, I only overrode code2000, maybe it doesn't work with other fonts.
What system font did you try to replace and what was the replacement font?

@knc1:
Quote:
Notice that they skipped 5.8.3 and 5.8.4 - that is easy to spot.
But what is not immediately obvious without digging into the internals, is that 5.8.5 should actually be numbered 5.9.0
So the package testing for 5.8.* will install but will not work on something that is actually 5.9.*
Are there any significant hardware/firmware differences that might prevent the font hack from working on a Voyage/Oasis even if it works on my PW2 with the 5.8.5 firmware?

I.e., are there significant differences between the PW2 5.8.5 firmware and the Voyage/Oasis 5.8.5 firmware?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #14
Croker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Sometimes I had to select the font menu and switch fonts to and back from Bookerly or Caecilia for it to work.

Also if you open a book you still might see the old font until you swipe several times to display the previous/following pages.

BTW, I only overrode code2000, maybe it doesn't work with other fonts.
What system font did you try to replace and what was the replacement font?
The font I was trying to use (ChareInk) never showed up in the menu as being available for selection. The specific problem I encountered was the font files I'd copied (into the linkfonts/fonts folder) would not appear under the "Custom" sub-menu, after selecting "Font Overrides > Populate this menu". So I was never able to select them to override a system font (it was my intention to override Caecilia Condensed, but obviously I never got that far!).
Old 10-24-2016, 06:28 AM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The font I was trying to use (ChareInk) never showed up in the menu as being available for selection.
This frequently happened to me too in the past.

Try the following:

1. Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache
2. Font Overrides > Empty this menu
3. Font Overrides > Fully populate this menu

(You might have to repeat steps 2 and 3 and/or restart the Kindle.)

Good luck!