Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #16
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
GtrsRGgr8 I could not fix a skillet of cornbread low-fat or no-fat. But then cornbread should be smothered & covered in real butter with cracklings baked inside. Made out of yellow cornmeal with a touch of sugar for sweetness.
Oh my. It has been a long time since I had crackling cornbread. Too long. The last place was at a restaurant called "Stan's" on a Columbia, Tennessee exit of I-65. They even had sorghum there, and I loved having it on the cornbread sometimes. I guess I'll have to learn to make it, cornbread that is not the sorghum. ha Maybe Koland will have a recipe for it in the new cookbook that she's writing. hahaha
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #17
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should have said--Stan's changed up and they no longer have cracklin' cornbread, and other things that I like. I don't know any restaurant now that serves it.
Advert
Old 01-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #18
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
KyBunnies,
The secret to cornbread is you must have a seasoned cast iron skillet. It also helps if you have bacon grease and a paper towel to add a thin layer of bacon grease then heat up the pan while mixing the cornbread.
Oops misread your post.
Cinisajoy that is where the cracklings come in. grease, fat & skin. So good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Oh my. It has been a long time since I had crackling cornbread. Too long. The last place was at a restaurant called "Stan's" on a Columbia, Tennessee exit of I-65. They even had sorghum there, and I loved having it on the cornbread sometimes. I guess I'll have to learn to make it, cornbread that is not the sorghum. ha Maybe Koland will have a recipe for it in the new cookbook that she's writing. hahaha
Almost every Sunday morning I have homemade biscuits and sorghum. I am not fond of cornbread & sorghum.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #19
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Okay, is it settled? Koland will write a cookbook?

We could make it a Mobileread project. Why there are people on this site across all of the different forums and threads who could do everything necessary to produce it! They can proofread it, publish it (in every ebook format known to man) . . . . why there are even people who could translate it into several different languages! It woud be the first Mobileread-published ebook! I am so excited!
well.... can it be gluten free?

cause.. I have one of those, around here somewhere...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #20
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
well.... can it be gluten free?

cause.. I have one of those, around here somewhere...
That you wrote????

Of course, I was joking. But if you wrote a gf cookbook, that's impressive.
Advert
Old 01-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #21
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

A FREE Title for the Musically-Inclined, Courtesy of University of California Press.

There is a definite trend by publishers, especially ones affiliated with academic organizations, to go into the open access model (read: to giveaway their digital publications). The publisher of this book, the University of California Press, has started moving into open access. This is one of their first publications in that program.

But university presses do tend to publish specialized and esoteric items! This one fits that description, although it seems to be the least like that among UCP's current open access offerings.

Title: Instruments for New Music: Sound, Technology, and Modernism.
Formats: mobi, ePub, pdf.
Author: Thomas Patteson.
Publisher: University of California Press.
Pages: 250.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): None at Amazon; 4.00 (1) at GoodReads. The book was published just last November.
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price at Amazon if available there: $37.53.
Book Description (Amazon):
Player pianos, radio-electric circuits, gramophone records, and optical sound film—these were the cutting-edge acoustic technologies of the early twentieth century, and for many musicians and artists of the time, these devices were also the implements of a musical revolution. Instruments for New Music traces a diffuse network of cultural agents who shared the belief that a truly modern music could be attained only through a radical challenge to the technological foundations of the art. Centered in Germany during the 1920s and 1930s, the movement to create new instruments encompassed a broad spectrum of experiments, from the exploration of microtonal tunings and exotic tone colors to the ability to compose directly for automatic musical machines. This movement comprised composers, inventors, and visual artists, including Paul Hindemith, Ernst Toch, Jörg Mager, Friedrich Trautwein, László Moholy-Nagy, Walter Ruttmann, and Oskar Fischinger. Patteson’s fascinating study combines an artifact-oriented history of new music in the early twentieth century with an astute revisiting of still-relevant debates about the relationship between technology and the arts.
Comments:
URLs:
Mobi.
EPub.
Pdf.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #22
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
That you wrote????

Of course, I was joking. But if you wrote a gf cookbook, that's impressive.
Yes. Very limited distribution and it was a few years ago, before the ebook craze (and the gf craze - at the time, gf recipes were hard to come by).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #23
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
X-link to the DRM-free megathread for the new Humble Bundle:

Humble Book Bundle Lonely Planet contains not just the expected travel guidebooks from the specialty publisher, but also some culture-introductory ones like regional recipe cookbooks, practical guides on DIY photography and survival tips, and photo artbooks on the wonders of nature and other world attractions.

And last week's Humble Bundle Be the Boss has updated with two more business management titles.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #24
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I shouldn't have, but I couldn't resist , on sale today at Amazon Canada (and probably elsewhere) for $CDN 2.99 (that's a 85% discount)

After Thermopylae: The Oath of Plataea and the End of the Graeco-Persian Wars by Paul Cartledge

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CG3JMA8

Product Description
The Battle of Plataea in 479 BCE is one of world history's unjustly neglected events. It decisively ended the threat of a Persian conquest of Greece. It involved tens of thousands of combatants, including the largest number of Greeks ever brought together in a common cause. For the Spartans, the driving force behind the Greek victory, the battle was sweet vengeance for their defeat at Thermopylae the year before. Why has this pivotal battle been so overlooked?
In After Thermopylae, Paul Cartledge masterfully reopens one of the great puzzles of ancient Greece to discover, as much as possible, what happened on the field of battle and, just as important, what happened to its memory. Part of the answer to these questions, Cartledge argues, can be found in a little-known oath reputedly sworn by the leaders of Athens, Sparta, and several other Greek city-states prior to the battle-the Oath of Plataea. Through an analysis of this oath, Cartledge provides a wealth of insight into ancient Greek culture. He shows, for example, that when the Athenians and Spartans were not fighting the Persians they were fighting themselves, including a propaganda war for control of the memory of Greece's defeat of the Persians. This helps explain why today we readily remember the Athenian-led victories at Marathon and Salamis but not Sparta's victory at Plataea. Indeed, the Oath illuminates Greek anxieties over historical memory and over the Athens-Sparta rivalry, which would erupt fifty years after Plataea in the Peloponnesian War. In addition, because the Oath was ultimately a religious document, Cartledge also uses it to highlight the profound role of religion and myth in ancient Greek life. With compelling and eye-opening detective work, After Thermopylae provides a long-overdue history of the Battle of Plataea and a rich portrait of the Greek ethos during one of the most critical periods in ancient history.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #25
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Also on sale today at Amazon Canada for $CDN 1.99 (usually $15.33):

Gospel of Freedom: Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Letter from Birmingham Jail and the Struggle That Changed a Nation by Jonathan Rieder

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009SJZPHM
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I shouldn't have, but I couldn't resist , on sale today at Amazon Canada (and probably elsewhere) for $CDN 2.99 (that's a 85% discount)

After Thermopylae: The Oath of Plataea and the End of the Graeco-Persian Wars by Paul Cartledge
Thank you! Also at Amazon US. I checked Kobo, but it's $4.99 there- if someone wants to check out its price-matching policy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #27
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CG3JMA8
<snip>
Thanks.

Here's a link for us Yanks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CG3JMA8.

Amazon rating: 3.9 stars, from 9 reviews; GoodReads 3.48, from 348 ratings.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thank you! Also at Amazon US. I checked Kobo, but it's $4.99 there- if someone wants to check out its price-matching policy.
Quote:
Thanks.

Here's a link for us Yanks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CG3JMA8..
Didn't my link work?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #29
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I could not resist this book deal today, about a thief...

Amazon US: The Napoleon of Crime: The Life and Times of Adam Worth, Master Thief

Quote:
The Victorian era's most infamous thief, Adam Worth was the original Napoleon of crime. Suave, cunning Worth learned early that the best way to succeed was to steal. And steal he did.

Following a strict code of honor, Worth won the respect of Victorian society. He also aroused its fear by becoming a chilling phantom, mingling undetected with the upper classes, whose valuables he brazenly stole. His most celebrated heist: Gainsborough's grand portrait of the Duchess of Devonshire--ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales--a painting Worth adored and often slept with for twenty years.

With a brilliant gang that included "Piano" Charley, a jewel thief, train robber, and playboy, and "the Scratch" Becker, master forger, Worth secretly ran operations from New York to London, Paris, and South Africa--until betrayal and a Pinkerton man finally brought him down.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #30
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Didn't my link work?
It was an innocent faux pas.

I did, in fact, read your message before sending mine. I was composing the message and scrolled down to read the previous messages to see what had been said. As you know, the texts located there do not show links. Your message showed "Also at Amazon US," without indicating that you had provided a link. I thought that you had just made the simple statement that it was at Amazon U.S., without providing the link.

Excusez moi.