Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #466
ThatBookGuy
ThatBookGuy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 1 + 3
The InkPad 3 is available via Amazon market place in my country!

I just ordered it; let's take a look if it's worth buying.
The only reason for me to give it back would be if the new Pocketbook cloud was mandatory. I hate cloud based services.
ThatBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #467
ThatBookGuy

I got my InkPad 3 today - it's just marvellous.
It's bright.
It's really lightweight (90 grams less than Inkpad 2).
It's fast (double core CPU + doubled RAM capacity compared to Inkpad 2).
It wakes up much faster than the Inkpad 2 (15 seconds cold start).
It seems to be more precise than former Inkpad screens. On Inkpad 1, I almost never could enter menu mode in my library (to mark and delete books); instead the inkpad always opened the book I touched. The Inkpad 3 entered menu mode precisely each time I tried.

The only drawbacks are:
- High price (around 250 EUR over here)
- No cover available yet (not from Pocketbook, not from 3rd party). But I think this will be a matter of time.

A very clear recommendation.

Oh, by the way: It has a micro USB slot for charging, PC-Communication and Audio. The package contains no charger (!), but
- a micro USB cable, and
- a headphone adapter for micro USB.

Last edited by ThatBookGuy; 02-21-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Advert
Old 02-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #468
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBookGuy View Post
I got my InkPad 3 today - it's just marvellous.
It's bright.
It's really lightweight (90 grams less than Inkpad 2).
It's fast (double core CPU + doubled RAM capacity compared to Inkpad 2).
It wakes up much faster than the Inkpad 2 (15 seconds cold start).
It seems to be more precise than former Inkpad screens. On Inkpad 1, I almost never could enter menu mode in my library (to mark and delete books); instead the inkpad always opened the book I touched. The Inkpad 3 entered menu mode precisely each time I tried.

The only drawbacks are:
- High price (around 250 EUR over here)
- No cover available yet (not from Pocketbook, not from 3rd party). But I think this will be a matter of time.

A very clear recommendation.

Oh, by the way: It has a micro USB slot for charging, PC-Communication and Audio. The package contains no charger (!), but
- a micro USB cable, and
- a headphone adapter for micro USB.
Can you say what the internet browser is like, how is the scrolling speed of web pages and refreshing of images?

I also wonder how PDFs are...can you pinch and zoom, and how smooth is this?
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #469
ThatBookGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Can you say what the internet browser is like, how is the scrolling speed of web pages and refreshing of images?

I also wonder how PDFs are...can you pinch and zoom, and how smooth is this?
Well, I will never use the browser on this machine, so I cannot tell what it's like.

Pinch and zoom with PDF-reflow works very smooth. Reformatting takes place immediately. I have a PDF with heavy graphics (an issue of some PC mag). Turning a page on this PDF is less than a second (could take minutes on my InkPad 1). The graphics are very crisp and bright due to the higher resolution of the new machine:
- Inkpad 1+2: 8" E Ink® Pearl™ 1200 × 1600
- InkPad 3: 7.8" E Ink® Carta™ 1404 × 1872

I don't know if it's a bug, but pinch to zoom seems to work only onedirectional: Bigger font size works as expected, but smaller font size works only via menu (means: no zooming out - just zooming in). But the new inkpad has a dedicated hardware menu button, and changing font size via menu has no lags. It just reformats the moment you set the font size - without delay. So it's no big issue and literally only takes a second.

Yes, I'm really in love with this gadget.

Last edited by ThatBookGuy; 02-22-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #470
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Well, I will never use the browser on this machine, so I cannot tell what it's like.

Pinch and zoom with PDF-reflow works very smooth. Reformatting takes place immediately. I have a PDF with heavy graphics (an issue of some PC mag). Turning a page on this PDF is less than a second (could take minutes on my InkPad 1). The graphics are very crisp and bright due to the higher resolution of the new machine:
- Inkpad 1+2: 8" E Ink® Pearl™ 1200 × 1600
- InkPad 3: 7.8" E Ink® Carta™ 1404 × 1872

I don't know if it's a bug, but pinch to zoom seems to work only onedirectional: Bigger font size works as expected, but smaller font size works only via menu (means: no zooming out - just zooming in). But the new inkpad has a dedicated hardware menu button, and changing font size via menu has no lags. It just reformats the moment you set the font size - without delay. So it's no big issue and literally only takes a second.

Yes, I'm really in love with this gadget.
Let me calm down a little that enthusiasm... I tested a multilayer PDF encrypted for edition and reflow does not work, takes about one minute to advance page and zoom is not so smooth...

With a 100 MB scanned PDF, it works little better but not much. With a normal PDF of about 100 KB is more or less usable.

However I agree with all other things. Screen is very crisp and clear, works reasonable fast with ePub (but not as fast as a Kindle, for example), and so.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #471
ThatBookGuy

Quote:
I don't know if it's a bug, but pinch to zoom seems to work only onedirectional: Bigger font size works as expected, but smaller font size works only via menu (means: no zooming out - just zooming in).
I'm just wondering if Pocketbook reads this forum.
My Inkpad 3 was delivered with Firmware 5.17 from January 2018. Today I found on Pocketbooks support page a new 5.17 firmware, but from February 21st. This new firmware has pinch to zoom corrected; now it works both ways just fine.

Dear Pocketbook: Please, bring out the cover for the Inkpad 3.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #472
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm just wondering if Pocketbook reads this forum.
My Inkpad 3 was delivered with Firmware 5.17 from January 2018. Today I found on Pocketbooks support page a new 5.17 firmware, but from February 21st. This new firmware has pinch to zoom corrected; now it works both ways just fine.

Dear Pocketbook: Please, bring out the cover for the Inkpad 3.
Just updated mine as well. In my case, the Cloud Sync is still not available. :-(

I seriously doubt that PocketBook read this forum.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #473
rfog
Guru

BTW, a link to a video showing how PDF performs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_mk-j2hknw
Old 03-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #474
ThatBookGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
BTW, a link to a video showing how PDF performs...
Looks really fast to me. Still happy and satisfied.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #475
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
It's easy to install koreader - would make the pdf reading experience better for sure
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #476
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
It's easy to install koreader - would make the pdf reading experience better for sure
Last time I tried it didn't work. I modified some LUA file to add this device but then the touch screen was "inverted". The reaction to the touch was just in the other side of the screen.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #477
ThatBookGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
I installed it on my Inkpad 1 some months ago, but deleted it very disappointed.
Seemed much more complicated to me than the original PDF reader.
Maybe I just failed to see the advantages.
I just want to read PDF files, nothing more, nothing less.
Won't do any annotations, won't lookup words, nothing but turning pages.
I really like the original PDF reader for its simplicity.

Last edited by ThatBookGuy; 03-09-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 AM   #478
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
It's more complicated but once you found the settings that fit you well you can set them as default and almost never touch the settings again. If the default reader is good enough for your use, that's perfect though
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:42 AM   #479
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Pinch and zoom with PDF-reflow works very smooth. Reformatting takes place immediately.
I don’t like the formatting. I’d rather a black and white low quality image, and no refreshing (which is called a2 mode—I don’t know if your device can do it.)

Quote:
But the new inkpad has a dedicated hardware menu button, and changing font size via menu has no lags. It just reformats the moment you set the font size - without delay. So it's no big issue and literally only takes a second.
I’d rather it didn’t reformat. Especially if using pdf, or browsing, etc.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 03-12-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #480
ThatBookGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
I’d rather it didn’t reformat. Especially if using pdf, or browsing, etc.
You don't have to reformat your PDFs; it's just an option.