Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool would like toc to be centered

i can't find a way to center the toc (rather than it being defaulted to left justify) when i convert epub to mobi
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moved to the Mobi forum (from Sigil), because that's something that should be done by the mobipocket converter.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
i can't find a way to center the toc (rather than it being defaulted to left justify) when i convert epub to mobi
There is no setting that I know of that will automatically produce a centered toc when converting an epub to mobi (either with calibre or kindlegen). You must build the inline (html) ToC by hand yourself if you want it centered.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There is no setting that I know of that will automatically produce a centered toc when converting an epub to mobi (either with calibre or kindlegen). You must build the inline (html) ToC by hand yourself if you want it centered.
i've tried adding center code to the generated toc in sigil, it saved ok, but when i converted the epub with calibre there was no toc in the mobi.

it seems some moderator moved this from sigil to wherever we are now...sigh
Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Yes, I'm some moderator

So, what do you exactly want to get centered? Do you have an inline TOC in ePUB that is centered and doesn't appear centered in Mobi? If that't the case, I don't think there's anything special in it being a TOC, and it should work (or not work) like any piece of centered text. If you don't get the right Mobi output, please post the code in the source file.

Or do you have an off-line (NCX) TOC in the ePub that you want converted into an inline TOC when the Mobi is created, and you want the output to be centered? In this case, there's nothing you can do in the ePub side, it's all the settings/defaults/behaviour of the converter (calibre in your case). Whether or not it is possible to change this easily, I don't know, but I guess it could be possible (maybe in a future version if it isn't now) in calibre, and hardly likely in kindlegen.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, I'm some moderator

So, what do you exactly want to get centered? Do you have an inline TOC in ePUB that is centered and doesn't appear centered in Mobi? If that't the case, I don't think there's anything special in it being a TOC, and it should work (or not work) like any piece of centered text. If you don't get the right Mobi output, please post the code in the source file.

Or do you have an off-line (NCX) TOC in the ePub that you want converted into an inline TOC when the Mobi is created, and you want the output to be centered? In this case, there's nothing you can do in the ePub side, it's all the settings/defaults/behaviour of the converter (calibre in your case). Whether or not it is possible to change this easily, I don't know, but I guess it could be possible (maybe in a future version if it isn't now) in calibre, and hardly likely in kindlegen.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

would like toc to be centered

my problem appears to be solved
Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
And the solution was...?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And the solution was...?
i thought you'd never ask

using sigil, let it auto-generate a toc, then using calibre

1. convert the epub to mobi
2. convert the mobi to epub
3. center the toc page's text
4. convert the epub to mobi

what had gone wrong to make me try alternatives to the (purely aesthetic) change was that there was no longer a link to the final mobi file's toc page. after i installed calibre 0.8.27 this problem existed no more

Last edited by alansplace; 11-20-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fix oops!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good to know. Thanks .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote