Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Although not a grammatical error, one mistake that always annoys me is to see the expression "whet your appetite" (ie, sharpen it) wrongly written "wet your appetite" (ie dampen it). It makes me wonder if people who write such things ever actually stop and consider the meaning of what they are saying.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #47
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
What I find curious is the increasing interchangeability between verbs and nouns, and the decline of the adverb.
That's because adverbs are evil.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #48
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Although not a grammatical error, one mistake that always annoys me is to see the expression "whet your appetite" (ie, sharpen it) wrongly written "wet your appetite" (ie dampen it). It makes me wonder if people who write such things ever actually stop and consider the meaning of what they are saying.
Only if they are writing verbally?

If they write, are they not penning ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Only if they are writing verbally?

If they write, are they not penning ....
One can say something in writing. It is a figure of speech.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #50
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
What I find interesting is when a phrase or figure of speech falls over into becoming an idiom. For you the whetting of an appetite still makes sense because you know what whetting is, so the phrase "whet you appetite" derives part of it's meaning from the meanings of the words that make it up. For others the phrase had become idiomatic - the phrase a whole has a meaning but that meaning has become detached from the "literal" meanings of the words - hence there is no way of knowing that it is whetting and not wetting. The classic example of an idiom becoming completely detached from the meanings of the words that make it up is "kick the bucket" - I know of no convincing explanation as to why this phrase might mean "to die", yet most British English speakers would know this meaning without stopping to think about the literal meanings of the words.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #51
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
That's because adverbs are evil.
Irregardless, I like to read em....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #52
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Actually, that's how I learned it at school, if I remember correctly. I mean "try and" was taught as the correct form. For a while I felt slightly guilty using "try to", but I got used to it as everyone seems to use it that way.
We definitely went to different schools.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #53
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
The odd thing I skip over, but just occasionally something jars....my pet peeve is the use of meter when it should be metre (English UK writing).

and the others I see frequently, "10 items or less"
In the USA, the correct spelling is meter (but then, we haven't used English in years).
Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #54
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
In the USA, the correct spelling is meter (but then, we haven't used English in years).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #55
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Yes, language changes over time. So, for some, that means there is nothing in language that is correct usage. It's rather like the dolts who refer to a lie as someone else's reality. No, it's a lie. "Womyn" is not simply an alternative spelling of "women" as some dictionaries state.

I do try to not be pedantic but I recently read a book in which people "whaled" instead of "wailed". Oh, well, language changes, you know, and perhaps that's just his reality. Maybe I don't know where his head is at.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #56
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
The one that irritates me is the use of the word "gift" as a verb. I don't know why it should do so, but it does. What's wrong with "give"?
The verb form of gift is considered archaic by most English speakers today. Still, 'tis a perfectly good word.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #57
Sine Nomine
sine nomine
Sine Nomine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3; iPod Touch
My pet hate is would of/should of/could of instead of would have etc. Of is NOT a verb.
Sine Nomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #58
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Nomine View Post
My pet hate is would of/should of/could of instead of would have etc. Of is NOT a verb.
I have an interesting preposition for you...

The misuse of "of" comes from "would've/should've/could've." The word of is pronounced pretty much the same as the contracted form of have.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 10-23-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #59
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
When I'm reading a good book, grammatical, spelling, and usage errors don't bother me a bit. As long as I can understand what the author is trying to say, I'm perfectly content. But...
... If I have to read one... more... story... where the author refers to a revolver having a safety catch that needs to be unlocked before firing I'm going to scream! Revolvers don't have safeties. Semi-autos have safeties. Mystery writers who've written dozens of crime novels really should know this!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #60
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The misuse of "of" comes from "would've/should've/could've." The word of is pronounced pretty much the same as the contracted form of have.
That's why I usually write 'shoulda, coulda, and woulda!'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote