Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Possibilities for folder organization support on Kindles?

Sometime in the past year I read a possibly old post that stated that it is possible to open a book in the native reader by command. In addition, KOReader ond Coolreader have file browsers and can launch reader apps.

It seems to me that it should be a small step to have the KOReader file browser show azw* files and allow the user to open an azw* file with the Kindle native reader app or to use the file browser as a starting point for a standalone app to open azw* books from the file browser.

I could get this functionality by converting my books to epub, but I am becoming fond of XRAY functionality and frequently use the Kindle dictionaries.

I hope this is possible and that the suggestion strikes some developer's fancy. I do know that over the years many have expressed strong interest in organizing books in folders on Kindles.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
It should be possible to have a command line menu, using the dialog package. Within this menu, the files and folders could be visible. By clicking on a ebook file, the command to open it using the Kindle's in built reader (for azw*s, mobis, txt, image files, etc.) should be invoked. I think something like this happens in the package Kindle menu.
Another possibility is to use midnight commander and configure it so that it opens an ebook file with the Amazon reader.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
It should be possible to have a command line menu, using the dialog package. Within this menu, the files and folders could be visible. By clicking on a ebook file, the command to open it using the Kindle's in built reader (for azw*s, mobis, txt, image files, etc.) should be invoked. I think something like this happens in the package Kindle menu.
Another possibility is to use midnight commander and configure it so that it opens an ebook file with the Amazon reader.
I can only find mentions if the Kindle Menu package but not the package itself, even after quite a bit of looking. I also can not find the midnight commander or the dialog package. I'm not particularly interested in a terminal package. If I want to do any CLI on a Kindle I SSH over USB.

I do appreciate the tips and would like to try Kindle Menu and maybe the others if someone can point me to where to get them.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I honestly don't remember if we can still do nested Collections, but if we still can, one popular option was faking a folder hierarchy via Collections.

And I seem to remember LibrarianSync providing just such a feature.

EDIT: That's probably a no on the nested collections, given that bit from LS's doc: "Subfolders will be treated as different collections".

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-09-2018 at 05:53 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I honestly don't remember if we can still do nested Collections, but if we still can, one popular option was faking a folder hierarchy via Collections.
It was possible on earlier CM versions and kindles. I have nested collections on my PW1 and they work fine. Only issue is you can't back out from a nested collection. Have to go to home.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I do appreciate the tips and would like to try Kindle Menu and maybe the others if someone can point me to where to get them.
See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225860
(for kindlemenu)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186007
(for dialog - it's part of the whole frotz package)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3383786
(for midnight commander)
Old 12-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Sometime in the past year I read a possibly old post that stated that it is possible to open a book in the native reader by command. In addition, KOReader ond Coolreader have file browsers and can launch reader apps.

It seems to me that it should be a small step to have the KOReader file browser show azw* files and allow the user to open an azw* file with the Kindle native reader app or to use the file browser as a starting point for a standalone app to open azw* books from the file browser.

I could get this functionality by converting my books to epub, but I am becoming fond of XRAY functionality and frequently use the Kindle dictionaries.

I hope this is possible and that the suggestion strikes some developer's fancy. I do know that over the years many have expressed strong interest in organizing books in folders on Kindles.
I would like to second @j.p.s suggestion to modify Koreader or CoolReader to open AZW* files with the native reader.

I've been using collections and LibrarianSync to work around the limitations of the native book list browser. My problem is exacerbated by the fact that I read in 3 different languages (I rely heavily on Kindle dictionaries and vocabulary builder). So ideally I organize by language, then by genre and so forth. Without hierarchical structure, my list of collections and lists of books inside collections quickly grow out of control.

There are quite a few talented developers here. The first 2 that come to my mind are NiLuJe for Koreader or sergeyvl12 for CoolReader.

@NiLuJe and @sergeyvl12 : what would be the best way to BEG you to do this?
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
We don't have metadata handling for K8/KFX files (I'm not even sure we do for M7?), so that'd render the FM much less useful .

The fact that we pretty much freeze the native system while KOReader is running doesn't help either.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
Thanks for the explanation. Koreader does handle Mobi properly. But if the native system is frozen on Koreader startup than this is a dead end.

I wonder how difficult would be to add "read" button to Kindle Explorer. It does seem to read the file system adequately. It would work fine on mobi and azw3 files but probably not on kfx. Do you think this is a worthwhile approach? Should we go beg in that thread?
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
We don't have metadata handling for K8/KFX files (I'm not even sure we do for M7?), so that'd render the FM much less useful .

The fact that we pretty much freeze the native system while KOReader is running doesn't help either.
Thanks for the explanation. The second reason sounds fatal.