Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
image size reduced

Hi Sigil friends! I noticed on my Kindle ereader that some of the book cover images in the backmatter of my ebooks were about a third of the size they should be. The ones that looked normal looked like screenshot 75. The ones that looked reduced look like screenshot 74. What's up with that? Should the images in the backmatter (because I noticed that when I first open a cover in Sigil that the width and height stuff are automatically there) always be like the example in screenshot 75?

I just copy and paste these images from older ebooks of mine, so I don't know how it's supposed to work.

Thanks.

I've been experimenting and it seems to me that my image size stays the right size when the width and height attributes are specified after I turn the .epub into a .mobi. However, and this is speculation, after I upload that selfsame .mobi to Kindle Direct Publishing, and it does its processing, then the file with the width and height specified is reduced. (And the flipside, again this is speculation, is that the image without the height and width specified does not get reduced.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_075.png
Views:	177
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	167508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_074.png
Views:	160
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	167509  

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 11-07-2018 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Additional thought after experimenting
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I admit to not knowing a thing about image sizing for Kindlebooks, Greg. Perhaps the Kindle Formats forum might be a better place to ask about image-sizing best practices in html/epub source that will be converted to a Kindlebook (and any subsequent KDP alterations)? It's not really a Sigil-specific matter at all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I admit to not knowing a thing about image sizing for Kindlebooks, Greg. Perhaps the Kindle Formats forum might be a better place to ask about image-sizing best practices in html/epub source that will be converted to a Kindlebook (and any subsequent KDP alterations)? It's not really a Sigil-specific matter at all.
Thanks a lot, Diap. You're right. And I found some answers talking to KDP so I'm good now.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moved the ensuing discussion about Kindlebook image-scaling best practices here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-25-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Moved the ensuing discussion about Kindlebook image-scaling best practices here.
Diap?

When I click that, I get a 'No valid thread specified" message?

Hitch

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-25-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Diap?

When I click that, I get a 'No valid thread specified" message?

Hitch
Well that was extremely weird.
The links should be fixed, now. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Well that was extremely weird.
The links should be fixed, now. Thanks for letting me know.
I live to serve, big guy.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote