Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-08-2022, 09:02 AM   #136
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I just tried it it. The 3.0 64-bit version works on Catalina.

After downloading, make sure it will launch by double-clicking the icon. You may have to option-right-click-open it, since it's not signed by a known developer. once it'll launch OK, quit, and drag an epub onto it. It will ask for more permissions, to do with the Finder.

Once all permission have been given, it should just work as normal.
Jon writes:
Quote:
Most likely it's a 32-bit program and will not run on a 64-bit only MacOS.
Apparently there is a 64 bit version, so it's some other issue?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #137
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The 64 bit version works just fine for me on Monterey. No problems at all once permissions are given.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:24 AM   #138
bsilvamm
bsilvamm began at the beginning.

Device: Ibooks
Hi,
This app isn't working for me. I've Macos Ventura. Basically it doensn't do anything when dragging a book from ibooks. Any idea?
bsilvamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:29 AM   #139
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works for me. Did you read this post written by its author and perform those steps?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=130
Old 01-16-2023, 09:01 AM   #140
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
added the info to the first post.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #141
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
I’m admittedly a little fuzzy on this, but aren’t ebooks dragged from Books not the actual epub, but rather some sort of package that happens to have the exact filename as the epub?

Edit: Yes, just confirmed that an "epub" dragged from Books to Desktop is a package that you can navigate into using Terminal, and what's inside is essentially already an unzipped epub. So likely the application doesn't know what to do with it, since it's not an actual zipped epub.

Last edited by phillipgessert; 01-16-2023 at 12:07 PM.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:32 AM   #142
bsilvamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Works for me. Did you read this post written by its author and perform those steps?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=130

I've started with this steps, but nothing...
Should I drag it directly from iBooks or for Finder first?

If I drag it directly it only save on Finder...

If I save in Finder and afterwards drag it in the app it asks me if I want to replace and then returns the following error:
"sh: line 0: cd: /Users/bruno/Downloads/Ponha o Seu Dinheiro a Trabalhar para Si.epub/: No such file or directory"

If I add the book to calibre continues to return errors...

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:21 AM   #143
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Move this App to your Desktop first. Then once there, double click on it to set permissions to use.

If you then drag an unzipped epub folder from your Desktop to it, it will create the zipped up epub on the Desktop.

As for iBooks, if these are purchased books from the Apple store they will have DRM and can not be edited or viewed in calibre or anyplace else.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:46 AM   #144
bsilvamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Move this App to your Desktop first. Then once there, double click on it to set permissions to use.

If you then drag an unzipped epub folder from your Desktop to it, it will create the zipped up epub on the Desktop.

As for iBooks, if these are purchased books from the Apple store they will have DRM and can not be edited or viewed in calibre or anyplace else.

Ok! Thanks. I thought it was possible to do it in purchased ebook in Apple. I will try other solution then...
Old 01-17-2023, 12:21 PM   #145
KevinH
Sigil Developer

You can zip up a iBooks epub folder even for drm books with this App, You can store/manage that book in your calibre database. You just will not be able to edit or view the book in any other ereader than Books due to the drm.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:47 AM   #146
eroux
eroux began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
On iPadOS 16 Apple's "Books" app is a somewhat... suboptimal?... experience.

I have decided to get all of my books out of it, which of couse means I wasn't keen to drag-'n-drop more than a thousand times. So I have taken pdurrant's Apple script and extracted the commands into the following Shell Script, which I called ePubFolder2File and saved into my path:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

main_loop()
{
    opts=':';
    while getopts ${opts} opt; do
        case "${opt}" in
            [?]|*)
                echo "usage: $(basename "$0") EPUB_FOLDER" >&2
                exit 1;
            ;;
        esac
    done
    shift $((OPTIND - 1));

while [[ "$1" != "" ]]; do
        build_epub "${1}"
        shift;
    done
}

build_epub ()
{
    local source_folder="$1"
    local dest_file
    local current_dir=$(pwd)

dest_file="$(basename "${source_folder%.epub}").epub"

if [[ $(dirname "${source_folder}") == "." ]] && [[ "${source_folder}" != "${source_folder%.epub}" ]]; then
        source_folder="${source_folder%.epub}"
        mv "${source_folder}.epub" "${source_folder}"
    fi

cd "${source_folder}" || exit 1
    zip --quiet -X0 "${current_dir}/${dest_file}" mimetype
    zip --quiet -rDX9 "${current_dir}/${dest_file}" * -x "*.DS_Store" -x mimetype
}

main_loop "$@"
I used it like follows from my shell to get all of my ePubs into a sane format:

Code:
$ find "/Users/eroux/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~apple~iBooks/Documents" -type d -name \*.epub | 
    while read epubdir; do 
        if [[ ! -f  $(basename "$epubdir") ]]; then 
            echo "Processing $(basename $epubdir)"; 
            ePubFolder2File "$epubdir"; 
        fi;
    done
It took a couple of minutes, but now I can move them to a new reader.
eroux is offline   Reply With Quote