Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #61
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
RRBurton,

I would wait and make sure this ereader works with DRM'ed files, since you plan to get free books from your library. The SONY, does work with the library's free ebooks as long as they are in PDF Format---(I KNOW, I KNOW none of you need to tell me that PDF sucks....the books are free so I don't really care how it looks on the page).
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #62
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
However, if I had to choose between this and the Jetbook, I'd choose the COOL-ER. I like the design of the Cool-er ALOT better than the Jetbook (which is really ugly and cheap looking, in my opinion).
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #63
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
So, do they support folders?

I'm not sure how they get 750,000 titles. Perhaps they count each e-book format separately.
Thanks Wallcraft - was just going to post that question. When will someone give us folders!!! I'm up to 35 pages of books on my k - romance, mystery, biography, horror.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #64
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
To be competitive they are gonna have to sell a lot less than 250$.

They may have good intentions, although their 750K ebooks shop seems a gross exaggeration, but at the end of the day would you buy a Hyundai if it was almost the same price as an Audi?
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #65
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Had they set the price at $200 I think they would have trouble meeting demand.
or $400, WITH FOLDERS!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #66
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
RRBurton,

I would wait and make sure this ereader works with DRM'ed files, since you plan to get free books from your library. The SONY, does work with the library's free ebooks as long as they are in PDF Format---(I KNOW, I KNOW none of you need to tell me that PDF sucks....the books are free so I don't really care how it looks on the page).
The specifications of the Reader indicate that they do support DRM on the ADE books (ePUB and PDF). Since they got the software from Adobe this makes sense. I would expect this to work on ADE books you buy and those you check out of a library.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #67
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
"Supports DRM" is not the same as "your device can read this ebook." I don't have ADE registered (and am not planning to do so), and don't have Microsoft Reader installed on my computer--but when I add PC to the list, it shows me books in Microsoft Reader. (Including public domain books that they only offer in MS Reader.)

I understand that they're expecting users to just buy books and push "install whatever I need to read this" buttons, but I don't have to like it.

And, of course, since they don't mention the existence of DRM at all, there's no way to tell which of their books are and aren't DRM'd.
I agree it should be mentioned but neither does Amazon. They just assume since you own a Kindle you will be able to read the books, DRM or not.

Dale
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #68
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrburton View Post
This Coolreader seems to fit my desires. I think it's gonna be my choice. I don't think content format is going to be a problem for me, I'll be just tracking down free content and using Chicago Public Library (once i get a card). ePub should be fine.
If you plan to get some of your content from the Chicago Public Library you will probably only be able to get pdf. If their contention that ADE is used then pdfs should be used fine.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #69
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
I agree with porkupan that RobertB should not be knocking any competitor's products without hard facts.

I have always been grateful to RobertB for his willingness to share information about upcoming Astak products but in my opinion making disparaging allegations about your competitors' products that are about to beat you to market is not a way to win friends and influence people.

I'm sure we will get a hands on review of both the cool-er product and the Mentor lite product within the next month so consumers can make their buying decision based on true specifications and factual experience.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #70
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
I want one

Okay I have to admit it, the fun colors totally make me want one!

$250 is a bit high, but if it supports alot of formats well I would probably go for it.

I love my little eb1150, but having to convert DRM'd stuff can get annoying.

Did I mention I like the pretty colors?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #71
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
For those concerned about the $250 price tag, I found this on their FAQs:

Quote:
The recommended retail price of the COOL-ER is shown below, but look out for special offers and promotions:
- $249 (US)
- £199, including VAT
- €225, including VAT
Maybe there will be a slightly lower price once it's released.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #72
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I liked the looks of it at first, but after looking at some of the pics on Endgadget, it looks kind of cheaply built. Granted, I've never handled one and this is just what I'm getting from pics, so take everything I say with that in mind. The screen looks good, 'A' or 'B' it looks nice. The buttons and the case though, while eye catching at first, really look cheaply built and kind of crappy. The case looks like it's all plastic, not aluminum like I thought it might be. There's a seam going down the side which makes me think this. The buttons look kind of flimsy and ill placed. It's not a product I'd spend $250 on. It looks like a chinese knockoff you'd find at a swapmeet or on Ebay going for $99-$150.

Now, if the pics aren't doing it justice, and it's got an aluminum case, I think it would sell really well between $150-$200.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #73
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

It looks identical to the Cybook that goes for $350.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
However it is still very unclear, where did they get the library of 750,000 titles...
Mostly PDF format. I could not find any ePub. But then I did not look that hard.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #75
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Quick note: going through searching by titles for each letter of the alphabet (7404 "A" books, 4565 "B" books, etc.) gets a total of 87,867 ebooks. Which is rather a bit short of 750,000, even if they count multiple filetypes as multiple books. I rather imagine they don't offer 9+ filetypes for each.
Before I read your post I did an empty title search and got 105,968 hits. I also totaled the categories and got 104,361. I may have missed something. Amazon has 111K in fiction alone. Cooler has 33K. They both have some duplicates and some PD works in there. I did notice they had more titles under Business & Investing than Amazon, though. I think you're quite right that they are stretching things with counting each format. It looks like not all titles are available in every format, though.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote