Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Next model kobo? Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2

New text string found in the nickel of v.4.3.8871: "Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2"

Last edited by surquizu; 03-02-2017 at 01:51 PM.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
I wonder if that will be a 6.8" Reader with 300dpi, capacitance touch, the comfort light like the KA1 , more internal storage, no card slot, and hopefully Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
looks like Kobo are struggling to come up with a completely new original idea, what will it be next Kobo Mini Edition 2 perhaps.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
looks like Kobo are struggling to come up with a completely new original idea, what will it be next Kobo Mini Edition 2 perhaps.

best wishes koboy
Or the Aura Edition Two Edition Two?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post

best wishes koboy
Did the Mini sell well enough to get an edition 2? I know they are popular with some forum members, but I seem to remember and awful lot of really good sales on them like Kobo was trying to move them out. How popular were they at full price I wonder.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Or the Aura Edition Two Edition Two?
it wouldn't surprise me.

best wishes koboy
Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Where exactly did you find this? I can't see this or any thing else suggesting a new device is coming along. But, I haven't looked that hard.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:07 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't see any sign of a new screen resolution option in firmware 4.3.8871, for whatever that is worth.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Which file did you find this in? I checked libnickel.so.1.0.0 and nickel and found only two references to Aura H2O, neither of which had the Edition 2 string following them.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I wonder if that will be a 6.8" Reader with 300dpi, capacitance touch, the comfort light like the KA1 , more internal storage, no card slot, and hopefully Overdrive.
Maybe it'll come with a cover.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Where exactly did you find this? I can't see this or any thing else suggesting a new device is coming along. But, I haven't looked that hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Which file did you find this in? I checked libnickel.so.1.0.0 and nickel and found only two references to Aura H2O, neither of which had the Edition 2 string following them.

I have found the reference inside the qm file that is generated with the pipcat scripts for extracting nickel text strings to translate the interface.

Copy part of code:

Code:
<message>
        <source>Kobo Aura HD</source>
        <translation>Kobo Aura HD</translation>
    </message>
    <message>
        <source>Kobo Touch 2.0</source>
        <translation>Kobo Touch 2.0</translation>
    </message>
    <message>
        <source>Kobo eReader Touch Edition</source>
        <translation>Kobo eReader Touch Edition</translation>
    </message>
    <message>
        <source>Kobo Aura H2O</source>
        <translation>Kobo Aura H2O</translation>
    </message>
    <message>
        <source>Kobo Aura ONE</source>
        <translation>Kobo Aura ONE</translation>
    </message>
    <message>
        <source>Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2</source>
        <translation>Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2</translation>
    </message>
</context>
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I have found the reference inside the qm file that is generated with the pipcat scripts for extracting nickel text strings to translate the interface.

Copy part of code:

Code:
    <message>
        <source>Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2</source>
        <translation>Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2</translation>
    </message>
</context>
Which would seem to indicate that it is buried in a compressed string.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo mini came out when new models had front light, bigger screen, or maybe higher resolution while Kobo Mini only had smaller screen and lower price. I think it needed front light to have better sales. Kobo at that time was invisible in USA market and still is. My dentist saw my mini and bought one. 2 USA airmen saw mine in a Best Buy store and wanted to buy one.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Kobo mini came out when new models had front light, bigger screen, or maybe higher resolution while Kobo Mini only had smaller screen and lower price. I think it needed front light to have better sales. Kobo at that time was invisible in USA market and still is. My dentist saw my mini and bought one. 2 USA airmen saw mine in a Best Buy store and wanted to buy one.
i agree a new Kobo Mini with front light would be a good sequel.

best wishes koboy
Old 03-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
No, there were a bunch of 5" e-readers before the kobo mini. Hanlin released several, and so did Pocketbook, Hanvon - and those were just the ones with the E-ink screens.

I have a bunch of them on my shelf.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote