Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Slider moves Text does nothing stays the same.
No error msg to post. It simply does nothing
Have you checked the CSS of the book? If there are any line-height lines, remove them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #17
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you checked the CSS of the book? If there are any line-height lines, remove them.
Well as it turns out I reprocessed the book using Calibre. With my usual custom settings. and Deleted and replaced book on device. It does seem to function now. So at least that is resolved. So thanks to all who did offer suggestions I can now get back to enjoying my book. Although I still wonder why it worked before and not now with the current firmware.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #18
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
GeoffR
It works for me in a large book.
sickel.patch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=45
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `sickel reboot timeout`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Version patch: 4.6.9995
# https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3565316&postcount=45
#
## sickel reboots the device if 10 seconds pass without a ping.
## Enable this patch to increase that time limit to 20 or 30 seconds.
#
# 10sec --> 20sec
#replace_bytes = 33DC, 42 F2 10 71, 44 F6 20 61
#replace_bytes = 33EE, 42 F2 10 71, 44 F6 20 61
#replace_bytes = 363A, 44 F6 20 61, 49 F6 40 41
#
# 10sec --> 30sec
replace_bytes = 33DC, 42 F2 10 71, 47 F2 30 51
replace_bytes = 33EE, 42 F2 10 71, 47 F2 30 51
replace_bytes = 363A, 44 F6 20 61, 4E F6 60 21
</Patch>
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #19
gillesit
gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Pocketbook 912 - Kobo AuraOne
"Custom reading footer style" trouble

Enable the "Custom reading footer style" patch and run 4.6.9995.bat
I find this mistake:

Read 5213896 bytes from input file 'E:\Kobo\4.6.9995\patch_kobo_4069995\4.6.9995_sour ce\nickel'
Ignoring disabled patch `Disable reading footer`
find_base_address: unique string at 004B885F
E:\Kobo\4.6.9995\patch_kobo_4069995\tools\pa32lsb. exe: line 81 in 'E:\Kobo\4.6.9995\patch_kobo_4069995\4.6.9995_sour ce\nickel.patch': replace_string mismatched data.
ERROR processing E:\Kobo\4.6.9995\patch_kobo_4069995\4.6.9995_sourc e\nickel.patch

ciao
gillesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #20
gillesit
gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.gillesit shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesit View Post
Enable the "Custom reading footer style" patch and run 4.6.9995.bat
I find this mistake:

Read 5213896 bytes from input file 'E:\Kobo\4.6.9995\patch_kobo_4069995\4.6.9995_sour ce\nickel'
Ignoring disabled patch `Disable reading footer`
find_base_address: unique string at 004B885F
E:\Kobo\4.6.9995\patch_kobo_4069995\tools\pa32lsb. exe: line 81 in 'E:\Kobo\4.6.9995\patch_kobo_4069995\4.6.9995_sour ce\nickel.patch': replace_string mismatched data.
ERROR processing E:\Kobo\4.6.9995\patch_kobo_4069995\4.6.9995_sourc e\nickel.patch

ciao
Problem solved, I changed a value incorrectly.

I wanted to ask if the patch `New home screen 'patch removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size` will also be implemented for firmware version 4.6.9995
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #21
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesit View Post
Problem solved, I changed a value incorrectly.

I wanted to ask if the `New home screen 'patch removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size` will also be implemented for firmware version 4.6.9995
You only have to copy inside nickel.patch the code linked by GeoffR in message 2.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:50 AM   #22
gillesit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You only have to copy inside nickel.patch the code linked by GeoffR in message 2.
But in the patch I see "Multi-version patch: 4.6.9660" and not 4.6.9995
ciao
Old 10-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If you read message 3, you'll see that oren64 says that the patches work in this FW. I sincerely doubt they are going to create a new message / file to change a comment.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #24
gillesit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If you read message 3, you'll see that oren64 says that the patches work in this FW. I sincerely doubt they are going to create a new message / file to change a comment.
It works perfectly. Thank you
Old 10-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #25
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I'm using that patch myself. Check:
Code:
#
# The following three patches are mutually incompatible,
# don't enable more than one.
#
# `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins`
# `ePub fixed top/bottom margins`
# `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom`
#
I am sorry, my bad. I have the body padding-bottom enabled. Let me try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Regarding your personalised 'popup dictionary size' css stream ...

Just to clarify, have you applied the nickel patch using the pipcat-method directly or have you used GeoffR's makepatch utility to create an entry for the GeoffR nickel.patch file?

Depending on your reply I can give you an idea of the pitfalls to look out for.
I am using GeoffR method and replacing the values in your dictionary popup increase patch. But since there isn't any difference in the nickel and nickel-modif, the makepatch generated an empty patch. I haven't checked it but will check it again today and will reply.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #26
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
I am using GeoffR method and replacing the values in your dictionary popup increase patch. But since there isn't any difference in the nickel and nickel-modif, the makepatch generated an empty patch. I haven't checked it but will check it again today and will reply.
When using the pipcat method, for each new firmware if you are planning to re-run patch.py you first need to re-run the extract.py routine to create a new nickel-extracted.css file. Then open it to get the header
Code:
/* found: 91 (zlib) pos: 4c1655 */
for the CSS stream you want to modify. Make sure that the header in your nickel-modified.css file is exactly the same. There is a 99.9999% chance the red values are not the same as the ones you used for the previous firmware.

Once you've succeeded in modifying nickel via pipcat, using GeoffR's makepatch v0.02 utility can greatly improve the chances of your patch surviving from one firmware to the next without needing to re-do the pipcat part, but only if Kobo didn't change the contents of the CSS stream.
  • make sure you run makepatch with the -b option so that all but one of the absolute addresses are replaced with relative addresses
  • in the makepatch output file, replace the line containing the one remaining absolute address (base_address = xxxxxx) with a find_base_address = `...`. You can look at my `Dictionary frame size` entry in GeoffR's nickel.patch file to see how that can be done.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #27
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
This patch

`New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size`

Significantly increased my Glo HD's response time with anything related to the home screen, including waking from sleep, which was still a seven second delay even after upgrading the FW. Now that process takes about 3 seconds. All other actions, relating to the home screen, such as returning to the home screen from a book or the book list, are also significantly faster.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #28
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Question `New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size`

i also wanted to give oren64's new patch `New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size` a try. So i copied it into the nickel.patch, but all the compiler said was:
Quote:
tools/patch32lsb-x86_64-Linux: line 1385 in '4.6.9995_source/nickel.patch': find_base_address string not found.
it seems it can't find the given find_base_address = `\x52\x78\x9C\x9D\x94\x5D\x4B\xC3\x30\x14\x86\xEF`

EDIT: Forget about it, just found out oren64 was right, the `New home screen increasing cover size` mustn't be activated at same time....

Last edited by the_Pan; 10-14-2017 at 11:11 AM.
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #29
thorindwarf
Enthusiast
thorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to beholdthorindwarf is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm patiently waiting for the Cyrillic keyboard layout patch (Glo)

Actually I could (want to) do it myself if someone point me out to an instruction how you guys do this. I'm techie so I will learn it fast and gladly contribute.
Thanks!

Last edited by thorindwarf; 10-14-2017 at 04:48 PM.
thorindwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:33 AM   #30
GlenRunciter
Enthusiast
GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
THX GeoffR, everyting works just perfect...
GlenRunciter is offline   Reply With Quote