Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #256
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I fly weekly in Europe and 3 to 4 times a year to the US, and for the last 2 years or so I have kept my Kindle on and was never asked to switch it off. Airplane mode is necessary for take-off and landing but that's it.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #257
Crhis
Enthusiast
Crhis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 7 Plus
I'm curious as to what difference it makes to the actual pilot between having a device fully connected versus airplane mode.

If bringing down a plane was as easy as switching on the 3G on my Kindle then I'm not sure why we're all messing around taking off our shoes in the security line.

Last edited by Crhis; 05-19-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Crhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #258
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhis View Post

If bringing down a plane was as easy as switching on the 3G on my Kindle then I'm not sure why we're all messing around taking off our shoes in the security line.
It isn't, but having 100 3G radios all broadcasting at maximum power trying to contact an out-of-range transmitter can, according to those who know more about it than I do, have an adverse effect on an aircraft's avionics systems. If you have a WiFi router on board, as some airlines are now introducing, the phones' wireless transmissions will be at very low power level, hence no interference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #259
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
One lady on another forum said the flight attendant threatened to put her off the plane because she wouldn't put her knitting up. The lady tried to claim medical reasons, the attendant said where is your doctor's note. She didn't have one.
What sort of medical condition requires you to have your knitting with you at all times, anyway? ... flight anxiety, maybe, and the knitting was a calming influence -- but of course knitting also comes with long knitting needles which I would really not want flying into my head sharp end first.

(Also, it's a good thing the cabin crew on the turn-all-electronic-devices-off flights didn't know that you *can't* turn Kindles completely off... or, for that matter, any other device containing a li-ion battery. The charging circuit is always powered.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #260
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
What sort of medical condition requires you to have your knitting with you at all times, anyway? ... flight anxiety, maybe, and the knitting was a calming influence -- but of course knitting also comes with long knitting needles which I would really not want flying into my head sharp end first.

(Also, it's a good thing the cabin crew on the turn-all-electronic-devices-off flights didn't know that you *can't* turn Kindles completely off... or, for that matter, any other device containing a li-ion battery. The charging circuit is always powered.)
I think she tried to say she couldn't sit still without something to do. I think she used ADHD but had no proof.

Now there was a missionary that told Mexican airport security that she was an American and that the TSA allows all Americans to take needlework on a plane. They finally let her put it in her bag but told her if she took it out, it would be confiscated.
Note, Mexico does not allow knitting on planes for the reason you stated.
Now the cheap plastic long needles are not that sharp but with enough velocity they could injure or kill someone.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #261
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhis View Post
I'm curious as to what difference it makes to the actual pilot between having a device fully connected versus airplane mode.

It is not so much the avionics as the potential for messing with cellular networks on the ground. FAA isn't concerned, FCC is.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #262
nurseshelly
Connoisseur
nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: galaxy tab, kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find that my Voyage more than meets Amazon's stated battery life of 6 weeks of use at 30m a day (=6 x 7 / 2 = 21h). I read for an average of around 3h a day and charge my Voyage considerably less often than once a week.

Amazon claim a battery life of 28h (8 weeks at 30m/day) for the Oasis. Do you think you're getting less than that from it?
I'm charging my Oasis every week ... that is because the cover is almost out of battery and then it gives me the annoying message about plugging my device in. Technically I could take the cover off and continue reading but I have to this point been just plugging it in. I haven't timed it but it's charged within an hour (it's probably less, but I haven't watched to see when it's done).
nurseshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #263
nurseshelly
Connoisseur
nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: galaxy tab, kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Check the measurements; I'm quite certain it won't fit in these "small" or "medium" Oberon sleeves. The Oasis is 0.3" or 7mm wider than the Voyage, and that's on the smaller dimension. This Oberon sleeve just doesn't have that much slop.

A visit to Oberon's main site may show *other* products which could be repurposed to fit the Oasis, but this sleeve isn't it.
Wah! I need a crying emoji!
Maybe a tantrum will do it
nurseshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #264
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseshelly View Post
Then again, there are many other things you can do with this lovely sleeve, if you really want to own one! I bought it, figuring if it didn't work well on my Voyage, I could put 4x6 recipe cards in it. Or things like that. Which is a *real* stretch, mind you!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #265
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseshelly View Post
Here you go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:59 PM   #266
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Did you load all the books on the Oasis via Calibre? Just checking to be sure Calibre recognizes the new device.

Jim
Just got my new Oasis and tried to load books via Calibre. My device is not recognized. Any tips?

Crap, this is from the original Oasis thread. I"m sorry. I just got the new Oasis released today. Will try to find a proper thread. Thanks.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:36 AM   #267
leesgraag
leesgraag began at the beginning.

Device: oasis 2
the updated version of calibre does not recognize my new kindle oasis, can someone please help me and tell me what to do
leesgraag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 AM   #268
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
There's a new release beta for Calibre in this thread on the Calibre forum.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...60#post3601760
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #269
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelmaroon View Post
Just got my new Oasis and tried to load books via Calibre. My device is not recognized. Any tips?

Crap, this is from the original Oasis thread. I"m sorry. I just got the new Oasis released today. Will try to find a proper thread. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesgraag View Post
the updated version of calibre does not recognize my new kindle oasis, can someone please help me and tell me what to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
There's a new release beta for Calibre in this thread on the Calibre forum.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...60#post3601760
Wrong thread.
I know everyone is excited, but check the date of this thread, it is for the original KOA, not the one released today.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #270
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Wrong thread.
I know everyone is excited, but check the date of this thread, it is for the original KOA, not the one released today.
I'll close this thread temporarily while people get sorted. If anyone needs to post here before I reopen it, PM me and I'll open it for you.

ETA: Now reopened.

Last edited by issybird; 11-02-2017 at 08:40 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote