Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile
mehetabelo began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 1-3, Kobo AuraHD, Boox Afterglow2
Kindle PW3, Collections Cloud Sync Error Question

Most of this post is an explanation, but I will get to the main question first, then explain. I would like someone who has a newer Kindle PW3, or possibly a Voyager to confirm some information I have seen online about Cloud Sync and side-loaded books. Is it possible to turn off cloud sync on the newest PW3 so that the error about the content not syncing to cloud connections disappears?

I ran across this on the amazon page, discussing this annoyance:
I don't know if this applies to other models, but at least on the Voyage you can completely disable the cloud in Settings -> Device Options -> Parental Controls -> Restrictions
(From: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdPage=1&cdSort=newest&cdThr ead=Tx2NTXBWYEM84OD)

So I would like to know if anyone has a newer PW3, or an updated PW2 (to some of the latest firmware) and can check this option.

I have had 3 kindle Paperwhites, because of how extensively I use and abuse them with my travel they tend to get cracked screens even with the cover purchase. My original PW1 had the usb connection fail, and while I may be able to open it and fix it (I still have it) the screen had some small cracks and it isn't something I'm dedicated to ever doing unless there's no other option. I have been watching for older PW's to be sold used but rarely ever see them locally or where I am traveling to.

Now, my current PW2 is in okay shape, with just one crack in the screen but it's almost 1.5 years old now, so I'm worried somethings going to happen to it even if I baby it. I've been looking into replacing it, and while I do have a KOBO glo, I just can't seem to keep using it and continue to go back to my Kindle. Currently I'm on 5.4.0 which was annoying to get on there since I started with a version much later. I do this because I side load so much, as a very large majority (80%+) of the books I read are internet based, primarily fanfiction, but not entirely. I update them often and continually reload the new books (with updates) on my kindle and it allows me to continue reading from where I last was. However, with 5.4.2+ the cloud sync error drove me insane and thus I rolled back. Even books I purchase I side load, and I haven't had my kindle 'online' for more than a few seconds since a few days after I purchased it.

I'd like to know, as I mentioned in the beginning, if the information I read about was correct on the voyager, and if it also was an option on the newest firmware on PW2, and if it was a mainstream option on PW3. I've gone to the stores I can find that have the newest kindles, to look through them, but unfortunately the store mode they are in does not allow access to the settings menu and thus I cannot find out myself.

I have searched extensively through google as of a couple days ago and can't find any other mention of this option, though it is possible I'm just using the wrong keywords in the search. I appreciate the time anyone spends doing this for me.

Edit note: I spent half an hour searching this forum as well prior to asking this, so if this question has been asked, I apologize but I could not find anything recent regarding this situation.

Last edited by mehetabelo; 01-18-2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Fixed formatting and note at end.
mehetabelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It's Voyage, not Voyager. That mistake drives me crazy.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
It's Voyage, not Voyager. That mistake drives me crazy.
I think in most cases it's an unintentional mistake--when typing on an iPad/iPhone, for whatever reason Apple's auto correct frequently replaces "Voyage" with "Voyager".
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

Alright, Voyage.

Another (possible) reason that people will call it Voyager is because Voyager is a 'object/person' while Voyage is not considered an object when one thinks, or says 'the voyage' the mind generally does not immediately associate it with an object unless it's presented as such. So, for someone unfamiliar with it having only seen the name once or twice, they may very well have made the association of an object with it, and then made the association of Voyager rather than Voyage.

That's probably what happened in my case, I've seen it written Voyage dozens of times in passing, but I probably have seriously thought about buying the thing once since it came out. I have a feeling the page turn buttons would break, plus I almost always read in landscape mode, and don't believe said buttons work in that mode. It *had* a better screen, but I had no problem with the Kindle Paperwhite's screen at all, so that didn't interest me in the least, nor did the light adjusting option. It was a waste to me, so after the initial comparison there was never any interest and that was a long time ago.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #5
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

Well, that got me nowhere. I'm bumping this once to see if anyone will help me out. Can anyone even verify the option exists on PW3 or Voyage?
Advert
Old 02-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@mehetabelo: I have a PW3 and there is no way to disable pop-up window with message that the book you just added to a collection will not be synced to the cloud. And if you (like me) keep your Kindle in Airplane mode you will get TWO pop-ups, first one asking to turn on WiFi & right after pressing the "ignore" button and selecting the collection(s) you will get a second with that annoying message. And that is the case for every sideloaded (as in converted, not from Amazon) book.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@mehetabelo: I have a PW3 and there is no way to disable pop-up window with message that the book you just added to a collection will not be synced to the cloud. And if you (like me) keep your Kindle in Airplane mode you will get TWO pop-ups, first one asking to turn on WiFi & right after pressing the "ignore" button and selecting the collection(s) you will get a second with that annoying message. And that is the case for every sideloaded (as in converted, not from Amazon) book.
Actually, the message only occurs with books loaded via USB, not books that are bought from somewhere else and sent to the Kindle cloud.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:45 AM   #8
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@shalym: Well since all of my books are loaded via USB (sent by Calibre) Amazon is irritating me "only" for all of my books...

And what part of "sideloaded (as in converted, not from Amazon)" is not clear enough? sideloaded = sent via USB. Not all people use Personal Documents Archive aka (Kindle) Cloud or care that it "fixes the problem". I don't like that kind of "fixes", Amazon should've just added "don't show this notification again checkbox" and that would be the end of this annoyance for people who send all their non-Amazon book via USB. While they (Amazon/Lab123) are at it they can also add checkbox for "no I don't wan't to use cloud collection, local/device only collections please"

Last edited by shamanNS; 02-21-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you sent this request to Amazon?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #10
shamanNS
Guru

@HarryT: I might as well shout it for my window for all the difference it would make. Because Amazon/Lab123 does not listen to user feedback/requests/suggestions (or we would have better/user changable font sizes choices and "cover as screensaver" since Kindle 2 release date at the latest). So I just don't bother emailing them.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile

@HarryT. I've seen dozens and dozens of people complain on the internet, and I personally sent them a request to get rid of this 'feature' and pointed out, in the request that a lot of people hated it, and would like to disable it.

Amazon does this for a reason, mostly because they want people to stay within their environment completely. This is also very likely why they don't allow almost any competitors (especially android boxes) to access their prime video streaming service. I could rant about this all day, but they do it for multiple reasons, and primarily for money. I don't blame them for it - it's a natural thing, business want to make money - but it really really drives a lot of people nuts, not just me.

@ShamanNS Thanks for the information. I had hoped that the parental control restrictions I read about allowed disabling the 'feature' but damn it all, I guess I'll just have to buy used off ebay or something if I have to replace. Or get used to my kobo or boox.

Yes, I'm very much like you, I side load everything and keep my kindle in airplane mode 99.999% of the time. I actually took it out for about 30 seconds yesterday just to sync the time (it had gotten about 15 minutes out of sync). But before that, it's been 8 months to a year since it was out of airplane mode. When I get books from amazon, I just download them and side-load them anyway, so *shrug*.

As I understand it, they dulled the problem a little, but only having one popup every x minutes (something like an half an hour to an hour) instead of every time you moved/deleted (as it is when first introduced) but again, I don't have a newer model and my firmware is set prior to these newly introduced features so all my information is from boards.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #12
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I've recently updated PW2 to latest firmware and the pop-up nags much less now. Instead of twice for every book that I add to a collection it is now occasional, but I don't know if this is X minutes or N books. It's certainly a big improvement. I've checked all the settings but can't find one to switch it off completely.

Last edited by Agama; 02-22-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
shamanNS
Guru

I only have "read" collection on my Kindle and only add one book at a time once I've finished reading it. I'm using that collection for decluttering Cover view, so I haven't noticed any differences in nagging frequency

Last edited by shamanNS; 02-22-2016 at 03:56 PM.