Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-27-2020, 03:59 AM   #76
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j03 View Post
If I root it, will the functions and apps specific to Onyx Boox still be there after or will there be some kind of Android "reset". I mean, I like the Onyx PDF reader, and also there are functions related to the e-ink, like the different refresh modes of the screen for example. Will those still be there after rooting?
If you're just rooting, then yes; but if you use a different image, then certainly not.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #77
j03
j03 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
If you're just rooting, then yes; but if you use a different image, then certainly not.
Ok, thank you for answer. Then, I will educate myself a bit more on rooting and decide if I do it to my Max3. Thanks!
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 11:45 PM   #78
shunf4
shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Max 3
Hi all, here is the convenient way to download the latest .upx update file and decrypt it to .zip file:

https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxUpdateUpx
shunf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:07 AM   #79
shunf4
shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shunf4 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

the Magisk module Show_navigation_bar is now causing bug on version 2020-11-04_07-07_3.0_9aed398. Whenever I touch the navbar buttons, SystemUI crashes. Be aware if you want to upgrade to 2020-11-04_07-07_3.0_9aed398.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #80
shunf4

Hi all,

I developed a Xposed module to fix the crash on touching navbar buttons. As time goes and more upgrades potentially break more things I plan to add more fixes and more features to this module.

https://github.com/shunf4/xposed-boox-tweaks-and-fixes
Advert
Old 12-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #81
shunf4

Now (I'm not sure whether it's BOOX upgrade or Magisk upgrade that caused it), directly installing Magisk in Magisk Manager won't make Magisk last permanently.

Though the original post says Magisk should be installed to recovery partition as per Magisk installation instruction because "Our device uses 'system as root'", I found that we can actually patch the boot image and make it work. Just patch the boot.img extracted from update.zip, boot from it under fastboot, and it should work. If you want permant installation, flash it to boot partition under bootloader.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #82
dnlhoust
dnlhoust began at the beginning.

Device: Note 3
Are the steps similar for rooting the Note 3? I assume i need to source a recovery img somewhere?
dnlhoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #83
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
You put the update for Note 3 in the same directory as the program and run the command

"python DeBooxUpdate.py Note3"

Of course you need python installed and additionally Cryptodome library.
Then you simply use magisk to patch the boot image extracted from the decrypted update package
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #84
dnlhoust
dnlhoust began at the beginning.

Device: Note 3
If I only wanted temporary root to mess with /etc/hosts; fastboot boot instead of flashing the patched boot.img from the upx would be enough?

Thanks for entertaining dumb questions - been a long few years since I messed with android rooting
dnlhoust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #85
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Yes, although you risk messing your /system partition, which *potentially* could prevent future OTA updates. It's been a long while since I messed around android too, so my answer is not 100% sure. The preferred way of doing things is making magisk module substitute those files, although for that to work, you'd have to have persistent root.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:10 AM   #86
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunf4 View Post
Hi all, here is the convenient way to download the latest .upx update file and decrypt it to .zip file:

thanks for this, currently I am just using a bind mount to intercept decrypted updates on the device
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:10 AM   #87
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi all,

I developed a Xposed module to fix the crash on touching navbar buttons. As time goes and more upgrades potentially break more things I plan to add more fixes and more features to this module.

https://github.com/shunf4/xposed-boox-tweaks-and-fixes
awesome work
Old 12-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #88
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
Now (I'm not sure whether it's BOOX upgrade or Magisk upgrade that caused it), directly installing Magisk in Magisk Manager won't make Magisk last permanently.

Though the original post says Magisk should be installed to recovery partition as per Magisk installation instruction because "Our device uses 'system as root'", I found that we can actually patch the boot image and make it work. Just patch the boot.img extracted from update.zip, boot from it under fastboot, and it should work. If you want permant installation, flash it to boot partition under bootloader.
yes, this was discovered awhile ago. i posted an update in the OP that a lot of the posts on the first few pages are no longer relevant as there was an early OTA update that changed the boot.img of our device. the boot.img by default does not have a ramdisk and instead the ramdisk is loaded from the recovery.img on boot. BUT for whatever reason, if a ramdisk is put on boot.img for our devices, it also gets loaded as well. i believe this can change with an ota update in the future, but it probably wont. ill update the OP again to make this more clear
Old 12-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #89
diabl0w
Connoisseur

if anyone has a fix for Titanium Backup schedules not working, I would really appreciate it. I think its related to the lockdown of some intents by onyx. For example, the android_boot_complete intent is not broadcast to user apps, onyx somehow locked this down. So apps that should start at boot will not start at boot. the workaround for this is to make them system apps, and then they will successfully start at boot. However, this workaround isnt working for making titanium backup schedules run
Old 12-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #90
diabl0w
Connoisseur

I tried to compile TWRP for our device but was unable to succeed. It seems like a lot of the guides online are outdated... Some of the more reliable guides require the kernel source code which onyx is illegally witholding from us.