Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
johnson_pw
johnson_pw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Surface 3?

I'm looking to replace my 8 year old laptop and Nook HD+. I am pretty confident that on the laptop side the Surface 3 will be able to perform all of the things I currently use my laptop for.

However, I do use my Nook HD+ for alot of reading of PDFs and Epubs with a couple of different readers, and comics via ComicRack. Are there any Surface 3 owners that can confirm that there are viable apps to replicate these experiences on the Surface 3?
johnson_pw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:17 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't own a Surface 3, but a Surface Pro 2 and an Asus Vivotab Note 8.

Personally, I find even the 10" of the SP2 too large to comfortably read (comics might work). I use my Asus for that and I simply installed Calibre on it. I use the reader that comes supplied with that. Works perfectly. I never read PDF so I can't comment on that.

I searched for ComicRack and that's apparently a windows application, so it should work fine on the Surface as well. I could install it on my SP2 today to check out how it works with a touchscreen...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I own a Surface Pro 3 and just went on a 10 day trip. It replaced my laptop superbly.

However, I usually use my Galaxy Note as my ebook reader. I find the Surface Pro 3 is quite large. I do love it for news - I use NextGen rss reader for this.

I did read a couple of comics from ScribeD in my browser and it worked ok, but not great. Sadly ScribeD doesn't have a Windows app. Haven't tried ComicRack.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
Initially I tried using CDDisplayEX via desktop for comics but got fed up with sausage fingers on the small screen so ended up using 'Cover' app (on my switch 10) - works well for me.
I went through most of the free cbz/cbr readers first and I had niggles with all of them - ended up paying £2.40 iirc? for the fully unlocked Cover, you can trial it and it limits the number of files you can see in the app but it gives you an idea of its functionality.
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
AnthonyBe
AnthonyBe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I use Freda on my Surface and Lumia 930 so that I can grab books directly from my Calibre library when I'm travelling.

I agree with the sentiments that the Surface Pro 2 and 3 get a bit heavy to use as a reader. They've fine if you can rest it on your lap or something, but holding it up (e.g. on a plane) is a little tiring.

The Surface 3 is about 180g lighter than the Pro 3 (800g vs 622g) and the screen just over an inch smaller (12" vs 10.8") and this is quite noticeable when holding it like you would a tablet/eReader.
AnthonyBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
I'm also looking for a replacement for my iPad 2, and I was thinking that Surface Pro might be worth looking at.

I mostly read technical PDFs and browse the web on the iPad and with a Surface I could actually get some programming done. The thing is, I cannot find a PDF reader on the Windows Store that can rival GoodReader.

One basic feature of GoodReader that seems to be missing is the ability to dynamically "crop margins" of PDFs (screenshot). Does anyone know of a PDF reader that has this functionality?
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
I'm also looking for a replacement for my iPad 2, and I was thinking that Surface Pro might be worth looking at.

I mostly read technical PDFs and browse the web on the iPad and with a Surface I could actually get some programming done. The thing is, I cannot find a PDF reader on the Windows Store that can rival GoodReader.

One basic feature of GoodReader that seems to be missing is the ability to dynamically "crop margins" of PDFs (screenshot). Does anyone know of a PDF reader that has this functionality?
You could use Briss to crop the pages before reading them on your regular pdf reader.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
With any of the Surface Pro's or a Surface 3 (not older Surface 1 or Surface 2) you aren't limited to just the Windows Store. They will run virtually any Windows software. Not sure if there is any Windows PDF reader that will do what you want, but don't limit yourself to looking at the Windows Store.

The Surface 3 is a nice size/shape for reading things on.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

With a screen the size of the Surface Pro you can simply use the Adobe regular version instead of an app. You can reflow the text, zoom past the edges if you wish to reduce the margin and many additional reading features. Don't forget you have two computers in one, a tablet and a laptop.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
With any of the Surface Pro's or a Surface 3 (not older Surface 1 or Surface 2) you aren't limited to just the Windows Store. They will run virtually any Windows software. Not sure if there is any Windows PDF reader that will do what you want, but don't limit yourself to looking at the Windows Store.

The Surface 3 is a nice size/shape for reading things on.
The unique benefit of using a Surface (instead of a notebook) device is in using it as a tablet. That is best accomplished by the apps in the Windows store. Using desktop apps on the Surface in tablet-mode is technically possible, but not desirable. It is an inferior experience than using "native" touch-optimized Modern UI apps.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I find on the larger tablet screen that it's not so necessary to trim margins --- when I do, I use the full version of Acrobat to do this, which preserves the text as type, vector elements, &c.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just bought a surface 3 and it works very well in tablet mode for comics perfect size and shape i use cover to read them
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I just bought a surface 3 and it works very well in tablet mode for comics perfect size and shape i use cover to read them
I just discovered Cover recently and I think it's hands down the best comic reader for Windows. It doesn't load up as fast as it should, and it takes a long time to scan a large library to add thumbnails showing the covers, but it's full of great features, and it's a joy to use.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #14
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Agreed - perfect size and shape! I traded in the Surface 2, which was too long and narrow for comics reading (16:9 ratio instead of the S3's 3:2).

The only thing I would change about the Surface 3 is to have a kickstand that would also work in portrait orientation instead of just landscape. I read a lot of comics and always hold the Surface in my hands, but it would be great if it could stand, vertically.

I haven't used Cover. I use Comics Jolt and like it.
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The unique benefit of using a Surface (instead of a notebook) device is in using it as a tablet. That is best accomplished by the apps in the Windows store. Using desktop apps on the Surface in tablet-mode is technically possible, but not desirable. It is an inferior experience than using "native" touch-optimized Modern UI apps.
I was just going to say I bought a Surface 3 two weeks ago. I have Calibre on it and ITunes. I don't have any issues using desktop programs and in many cases there just isn't any app good enough in the Windows store (which is why I am using iTunes for music and video playlists)

I tend to use the Surface as a normal laptop with touch/tablet ability.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, ebooks, surface 3