Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #46
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And when you get stuck downloading KFX, I call BS on Amazon's part.
I think the reasoning with KFX is that the book is designed to be read on that exact reader, and if you try to put it onto a different reader with different resolution, or screen size, or both (or other differences based on firmware version, etc), the book will not look as nice. If you really want to download a book and put it onto a different device (which is the point of most authors/publishers wanting DRM free) then you want to download the generic version rather than the one that is tailored to a specific device.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I think the reasoning with KFX is that the book is designed to be read on that exact reader, and if you try to put it onto a different reader with different resolution, or screen size, or both (or other differences based on firmware version, etc), the book will not look as nice. If you really want to download a book and put it onto a different device (which is the point of most authors/publishers wanting DRM free) then you want to download the generic version rather than the one that is tailored to a specific device.

Shari
Let's say you don't have a Kindle. You do have Kindle for PC. You buy an eBook published by Tor and you think you'll be able to convert it to work on your Kobo. You download it and end up with KFX. How would you then be able to download it with no DRM so you can convert it to ePub? That may be an issue for a lot of people. That's why I call KFX BS because it's encrypted making it not DRM free when the publisher says it should be DRM free.

Can you say that KFX is a better format? I can't because I think not. Using what you said about KFX being tailored to your Reader, the same could be done with KF8. I don't see anything with KFX that could not be done with KF8 if Amazon would make the KF8 renderer do it. Plus, the back end on Amazon could do the tailoring for KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't see anything with KFX that could not be done with KF8 if Amazon would make the KF8 renderer do it.
Let it go and move on. Don't buy if you cannot remove DRM. Amazon is not going to "enhance" the KF8 renderer, because it is not possible unless you add features to the KF8 format itself. If you add features to KF8, it will no longer be KF8, but a different format/version. A format like KFX for example.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote