Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
JBL firmware update question

Hey guys, I get confused reading about the recent Ectaco firmware updates.

Here's what I know: My JBL has version 15 and it works with no complaints.

Version 16 allows you to read books with Adobe ePub DRM.

I have not yet purchased a book with a DRM, and my intention at this time is to remove the DRM (whether Adobe ePub or azw mobipocket) before putting it onto my JBL.

So here's the question: Is there any reason for me to upgrade my JBL's firmware from the present v. 15?
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well I have not yet seen any valid reason to upgrade Russell. Not sure if it helps or not.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bill, I'm a klutz when it comes to gadgets, and my thinking is that if there is no obvious benefit to me with the upgrade, I'm not going to try to do it and possibly brick the device.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
First, the JBL Firmware 0.16e is due any day now.

The thing that complicates things IMHO is that it's not just about the DRM, especially if
you use epub a lot. I will probably never "activate" ADE on my PC. But I do find that I
like the way the Adobe Mobile Reader handles .epub and .pdf, over what was prior to
0.16b (FBReader & FoxIt, I believe). Most of my ebooks are still DRM free .pdb, but I
now tend to convert what I buy into .epub.

There are things to like about either reader setup, but for me the new one seems a little
better, (it even has TOC working in .epub and PDF Reflow).

If you calmly follow the instructions and do the upgrade with an SD card, it is very hard
(if not impossible) to "Brick" any ARM9 based device. There is always a way to get back
to the factory settings and have a clean starting point.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
First, the JBL Firmware 0.16e is due any day now.

The thing that complicates things IMHO is that it's not just about the DRM, especially if
you use epub a lot. I will probably never "activate" ADE on my PC. But I do find that I
like the way the Adobe Mobile Reader handles .epub and .pdf, over what was prior to
0.16b (FBReader & FoxIt, I believe). Most of my ebooks are still DRM free .pdb, but I
now tend to convert what I buy into .epub.

There are things to like about either reader setup, but for me the new one seems a little
better, (it even has TOC working in .epub and PDF Reflow).

If you calmly follow the instructions and do the upgrade with an SD card, it is very hard
(if not impossible) to "Brick" any ARM9 based device. There is always a way to get back
to the factory settings and have a clean starting point.

Luck;
Ken
I see 0.16e on jetbook website now:
http://www.jetbook.net/update.php

It looks like regular jetbook and jetBook lite have exactly the same features now
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I see 0.16e on jetbook website now:
http://www.jetbook.net/update.php

It looks like regular jetbook and jetBook lite have exactly the same features now
The regular Jetbook supports eReader DRM? I must have missed that, good
for Ectaco. (Not that I really care about DRM support.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard

A quick look at the JBL 0.16e is looking very good. It even found my last page, but I
did have to select the book from my recent reading list. The quotes are as they should
be now (not question marks) in .ebup., at least for this one that I recently converted
with Calibre. (The question marks are still there in the older Calibre conversions, I
checked.) Overall, it looks like you can get a really nice looking .epub with this new
firmware and the current version of Calibre.

The initial loading seems a little slower, but that may be just me. It took about 12sec
to build the initial TOC, also. The spacing and paragraphs look a little better, to me,
as well. (The additional attention to the formatting may be slowing the initial load some.)

Luck,
Ken
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Wait! Do I understand you to say that with v. 16, I can with ePub books use the table of contents to jump to the beginning of a chapter?

If so, that would be a reason to upgrade, I think.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Right, with 0.16e (not 0.16) - if - the .epub file has them implemented.
My Calibre conversion from .pdb with TOC to .epub has them and they show up when
you select the Table of Contents option from the menu button options that are there
in .epub files, with the new 0.16e Firmware. It takes a few seconds for it to build the
TOC list/menu, the first time you do it.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The regular Jetbook supports eReader DRM? I must have missed that, good
for Ectaco. (Not that I really care about DRM support.)

Luck;
Ken
I'm not sure if regular Jetbook supports eReader DRM but it has Adobe 9.1 version so ePub books from B&N works fine on both units jetBook and JBL.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Well I have not yet seen any valid reason to upgrade Russell. Not sure if it helps or not.
I see SEVERAL valid reasons to upgrade. The PDF reflow alone is a great reason to upgrade. The table of contents for both PDF and epub files are also valid reasons to upgrade. The improved format when reading epub files makes this a great upgrade as well. I can't see a reason why anyone WOULDN'T want to upgrade.

I've upgraded four JBLs and haven't experienced an issue with any of them. I believe the reports of "bricking" a JBL with an upgrade are highly exaggerated. As long as you follow the upgrade instructions and make sure you have fully charged batteries, there should be no worries.

After you upgrade you'll wonder why you didn't do so sooner!
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I seem to remember that zoom is loused up in the new version. Anyone know?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #13
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I seem to remember that zoom is loused up in the new version. Anyone know?
It's not loused up. It is changed, so that instead of the Zoom button bringing up the Zoom menu, it just advances it down the Zoom menu, increasing the font size by one step on the menu.

It DOES get rid of the pdf zoom where you could zoom to 1/4 or 1/9 of the page.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:28 AM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
It's not loused up. It is changed, so that instead of the Zoom button bringing up the Zoom menu, it just advances it down the Zoom menu, increasing the font size by one step on the menu.

It DOES get rid of the pdf zoom where you could zoom to 1/4 or 1/9 of the page.
The PDF zoom menu is what I use so methinks I will just leave well enough alone, thankyouverymuch.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

OK Number 6, you've convinced me. I'll study up on it, and plan to do the upgrade by the end of the month.