Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
mitra1
Zealot
mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis 2,ONYX boox max lumi
Reinkstone R1

What do you think about it? I have the doubt that is too economic and i don'r receive updates.https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...h-color-e-note
mitra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Colour eink is poor contrast and poor colour! It's inherent physics. Also it's some alternate eink screen. Alternatives did exist in the past, all greyer than the current eink in Kobo/Kindle etc. Amazon bought in one and buried it.
Goodereader seems to be sharing PR on it without much substance.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Looking at the images and the docs, the colour comes from a filter layer over the display. This matches with the lower colour resolution quoted. I was not impressed with any of eInk's colour technology to this date and I suspect the R1 is going to be equally disappointing.

Looking at the images on Reinkstone's site, the colour looks very similar to Kaleido2.

Looking at the good-display.com website, it does say 4096 colours again matching Kaleido.

For the weight, I might as well buy an iPad Air for the 70 grams difference and get a display capable of full colour video at decent frame rates.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-21-2021 at 01:16 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at the images and the docs, the colour comes from a filter layer over the display. This matches with the lower colour resolution quoted. I was not impressed with any of eInk's colour technology to this date and I suspect the R1 is going to be equally disappointing.

Looking at the images on Reinkstone's site, the colour looks very similar to Kaleido2.

Looking at the good-display.com website, it does say 4096 colours again matching Kaleido.

For the weight, I might as well buy an iPad Air for the 70 grams difference and get a display capable of full colour video at decent frame rates.
If the contrast ratio of the DES slurry display or whatever is better than eInk's before the color layer it might be better. The comparison video they posted between the Nova 3 Color and Reinkstone looks to me like the Reinkstone is a tad better...

I'd like a color version of my Boox Note Air. Occasionally a journal article will have a figure that requires color to make any sense of it and 4096 is enough for that. Probably fine for comics too. I like that I can't watch videos on the damn thing.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
If the contrast ratio of the DES slurry display or whatever is better than eInk's before the color layer it might be better. The comparison video they posted between the Nova 3 Color and Reinkstone looks to me like the Reinkstone is a tad better...
The documentation says the CR is 8. Compare to eInk Pearl at 10 and eInk Carta at 15. The white reflectance shows as 20 min and typ 25. By comparison, an eInk Carta shows 74% minimum. This may be affected by testing methodogy differences.

And note that the Good-Display numbers are for the B&W screen with no front light, touch, colour filter or other layer in front of the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DES__10_1_specs.png
Views:	223
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	187803  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This might be a SCAM though, according to the comments under the GoodEReader article and comments on reddit.

It appears "Reinkstone" belongs to Wiwood Technology, who also created the "E-Pad". The E-Pad had a very dodgy history. It was released three times (first as Whisky E-pad, then Eewrite E-Pad and finally as Wiwood E-Pad), during multiple Kickstarter campains. Apparently these guys quickly disappear and abandon their product after they have got your money. Then they reappear later under a different company name or label.

So there is a high chance these "software issues" mentioned by GoodEreader might not be worked out after all. (They have only registered the "ReInkstone" label for 1 year, expiring at the end of November.)

More likely you can buy the updated version next year again under a different name.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:02 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Any colour tech using reflected light with a filter on a mono display has to be desaturated or it's too dark. Even then basic physics says the display will be worse ambient brightness than a mono screen.

The underlying mono technology seems poorer than Carta or Mobius, so this will be rubbish in ambient light. It will need front LED lighting and will have washed out colour. The black, white and 14 shades at best also limits colours + shades + hues to less than 4096 compared to over 200,000 to over millions for LCD and millions for OLED or real LED (called Crystal by Sony). This is basic physics.

Kickstarter and similar can also be a gamble. Spending money with Boyue, Xiaomi, Pocketbook, Kobo or Amazon seems more sensible.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote