Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
What does this mean and how to fix it?

Every time I click on a book or task in Calibre I get this, type of message for each book

calibre, version 5.19.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>Exception</b>:Failed to open "C:\\Users\\John's\\OneDrive\\Documents\\Calib re Library\\Reed Farrel Coleman\\Where It Hurts (2700)\\cover.jpg" with error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: "C:\\Users\\John's\\OneDrive\\Documents\\Calib re Library\\Reed Farrel Coleman\\Where It Hurts (2700)\\cover.jpg"

calibre 5.19 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (7, 0, 0) && Extract ISBN (1, 5, 0) && Kobo Books (1, 8, 2) && Kobo Utilities (2, 13, 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1430, in copy_cover_to
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: "C:\\Users\\John's\\OneDrive\\Documents\\Calib re Library\\Reed Farrel Coleman\\Where It Hurts (2700)\\cover.jpg"

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1434, in copy_cover_to
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: "C:\\Users\\John's\\OneDrive\\Documents\\Calib re Library\\Reed Farrel Coleman\\Where It Hurts (2700)\\cover.jpg"

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 583, in current_changed
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 568, in get_book_display_info
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 746, in cover
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 448, in cover
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 746, in cover
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 75, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 786, in copy_cover_to
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1437, in copy_cover_to
Exception: Failed to open "C:\\Users\\John's\\OneDrive\\Documents\\Calib re Library\\Reed Farrel Coleman\\Where It Hurts (2700)\\cover.jpg" with error: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: "C:\\Users\\John's\\OneDrive\\Documents\\Calib re Library\\Reed Farrel Coleman\\Where It Hurts (2700)\\cover.jpg"
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Move your calibre library folder out of one drive
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You do not want any cloud service software ever touch your Calibre library. NEVER EVER!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:55 PM   #4
dan2the6th
Connoisseur
dan2the6th began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone XR
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what is being warned against here. I have Windows 10 and OneDrive, and my Documents folder is mirrored in OneDrive, which includes my Calibre library. I've never had any trouble with this. Am I doing something radically dangerous?
dan2the6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2the6th View Post
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what is being warned against here. I have Windows 10 and OneDrive, and my Documents folder is mirrored in OneDrive, which includes my Calibre library. I've never had any trouble with this. Am I doing something radically dangerous?
Yes you are. You risk causing damage to your Calibre library. So far you've been lucky or you've just not yet come across something that's gone wrong.
Advert
Old 06-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
See ==>> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

To all intents and purposes cloud storage services are networked drives

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #7
dan2the6th
Connoisseur

So I don't quite get this. All my files are stored on my local hard drive, and OneDrive is used simply to provide a mirror copy. Calibre is not using "network storage" in any sense that I can see. As I said, I have not had a single problem so far, so I guess I'm not going to change my habits. If all my books get wiped out for some reason in the future, I'll crawl back in here and admit I was wrong.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
One Drive is not a true Mirror. It tries and sync and sometimes reverts files while another part of Calibre is updating.
Calibre moves files and makes DB entries as to where/what. These need to happen in lock-step and not be interfered with (file lock for one)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember that until you attempt a recovery from a backup, that you don't really have a backup.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:31 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I had my calibre library in OneDrive once, years ago. At some point it just started to randomly delete my files. Since that incident I no longer use OneDrive at all (I have disabled it on all my laptops and on my Surface tablet).

Calibre and OneDrive don't work well together. And you may not notice it until the damage is irreversible (I noticed it after several of my files - book formats, covers etc. - were just gone, but fortunately I had backups).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
See ==>> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

To all intents and purposes cloud storage services are networked drives

BR
I don't think cloud storage servers are networked drives for one major difference. The cloud server software is a two-way sync. That makes then compltely different.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #12
dan2the6th
Connoisseur

OK, y'all have convinced me. What's the best way to move my entire library from one folder (the one in OneDrive) to a different folder? Do I just move all the files then go into Calibre and delete the library and re-create it?
Old 06-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
OK, y'all have convinced me. What's the best way to move my entire library from one folder (the one in OneDrive) to a different folder? Do I just move all the files then go into Calibre and delete the library and re-create it?
NO to delete.

On the Library Icon: Switch / Create: USE EXISTING:<the location>
(IT WILL TAKE WAY LONGER TO ACTUALLY move THE LIBRARY FOLDER, THAN DO THIS STEP)

You may need (~100%) repairs since you are moving from the cloud.
Run the Maintenance tool on the Library Icon ONCE THE LIBRARY HAS BEEN MOVED
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #14
dan2the6th
Connoisseur

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think cloud storage servers are networked drives for one major difference. The cloud server software is a two-way sync. That makes then compltely different.
If you always remember to sync before and after using Calibre, then there's no difference between one-way and two-way sync. Well, at least with Dropbox there isn't. Of course the trick is not to forget. Plus most people have the cloud starting with Windows and running constantly in the background, and they're not willing to change this habit. I've never done that.

Still, with OneDrive nothing helps. It eventually messes up your library, no matter what you do.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote