Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
de Salier
de Salier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Elipsa
[Kobo] Error communicating with device

Hello All,

I know this problem is not new, but it is new for me.

Quote:
calibre, version 5.20.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

IOError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 515, in _books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1955, in books
apsw.IOError: IOError: disk I/O error
I have been going through a lot of posts, but not sure if there is a solution for this.

When I connect the device W10 can access everything and I can move folders around if I would wish to do so. But as soon as Calibre start to access the device the error occurs. I have reset both Calibre and the Device multiple times.

The weird thing is is that it does not happen with Calibre on Linux for some reason.

Any thoughts on this issue?
de Salier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That is a problem reading the database on the device. It usually means the database is corrupt. It can mean there are other issues accessing the device, but, you have checked that.

To fix this, you can restore a recent backup of the database if you have one. Otherwise, you will need to sign out of the Kobo account on the device and then sign in again. This will recreate the database and import any sideloaded books. Unfortunately, you will lose the reading status and annotations for sideloaded books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
de Salier

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is a problem reading the database on the device. It usually means the database is corrupt. It can mean there are other issues accessing the device, but, you have checked that.

To fix this, you can restore a recent backup of the database if you have one. Otherwise, you will need to sign out of the Kobo account on the device and then sign in again. This will recreate the database and import any sideloaded books. Unfortunately, you will lose the reading status and annotations for sideloaded books.
Hi,

Thank you for the information.

I did a reset (sign out/sign in) as you mentioned (twice). When I connect it to the W10 PC I can access it fie the file explorer normally. When I open Calibre and it tries to connect to the reader it failed on both occasions. When I restart the computer I can sometimes get it connected, but that seems very random.

So it is all a little bit confusing
Old 06-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There is a DATABASE on the device that gets updated when you disconnect (you might see the message on the Kobo).

That is what is flaky, not necessarily the book (although, it might have some metadata corruption that only affects the DB and was not trapped because it was so strange).
It might also be your Anti-virus mucking with (false positive) the DB as Calibre reads it for status info.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
de Salier

I just did a complete reset of the device again, removing all content. Even now I get the same error.

After the error even Windows 10 doesn't recognize the device anymore.
Any chance the internal storage is no longer working properly?
Old 06-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #6
de Salier

Got this comment from Kobo Support

Quote:
I have read your case and due to the latest updates that Kobo has had, the device can only be recognized through the Kobo desktop app for synchronization or updating and to add books you will need to use ADE which is a file manager
They could not tell me if it was still possible to use calibre as it was outside their parameters
Old 06-06-2021, 04:03 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Salier View Post
Got this comment from Kobo Support

They could not tell me if it was still possible to use calibre as it was outside their parameters
That's news to me. And inconsistent with my experience and the experience of plenty of other Kobo users. The last firmware version release for any Kobo device was in February. And nothing about the support changed then. Of course, Kobo doesn't officially support calibre for managing the books. But, they also don't do anything to stop it. They do support manually sideloading books or using ADE for books with DRM. Neither of these methods will look at the database on the device.

The Kobo desktop application can also be used to sync books from the Kobo store. This does access the database, though not necessarily in the same way that calibre does. You can try this and see if there are any errors. But, do not run calibre and the Kobo desktop at the same time if the device is connected.

A possibility is your anti-virus/malware. That might be blocking calibre from accessing the database properly. Or something else might be using it.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #8
de Salier

- installed an older firmware to see if that might change something, sadly not the case.
- did a complete windows 10 reinstall, also no effect.

as it was a sudden change I am starting to think that there is something wrong with the device storage. And sadly there is nothing we can do about that
Old 06-07-2021, 12:33 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Salier View Post
- installed an older firmware to see if that might change something, sadly not the case.
- did a complete windows 10 reinstall, also no effect.

as it was a sudden change I am starting to think that there is something wrong with the device storage. And sadly there is nothing we can do about that
Did the Kobo desktop application work properly?

It does sound like faulty storage on the device. If it is still under warranty I would try and return it. But, you said it was working under Linux. That would suggest a change in Windows. Do you have an older Window box around you could try it on?
Old 06-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #10
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Me too

I also have a Kobo Libra H20, and this is the error message I started getting today - it's been maybe two weeks since I last connected the device to Calibre:

calibre, version 5.21.0

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1974, in books
apsw.CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

This is pretty much identical to the problem de Salier had, and I haven't yet been able to clear it. It seems very hard to believe we both have identical hardware faults.

When I used the "Update cached metadata in device" command, I got the different error message:

calibre, version 5.21.0

'list' object has no attribute 'set_debugging_title'

File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 545, in _sync_booklists
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 976, in sync_booklists
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2431, in update_device_database_collections
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'set_debugging_title'

If I sideload by using Windows file explorer the book goes to the Kobo, and it is complete and readable there.

I would appreciate suggestions!
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
I also have a Kobo Libra H20, and this is the error message I started getting today - it's been maybe two weeks since I last connected the device to Calibre:

calibre, version 5.21.0

This is pretty much identical to the problem de Salier had, and I haven't yet been able to clear it. It seems very hard to believe we both have identical hardware faults.

When I used the "Update cached metadata in device" command, I got the different error message:

calibre, version 5.21.0

'list' object has no attribute 'set_debugging_title'

File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 545, in _sync_booklists
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 976, in sync_booklists
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2431, in update_device_database_collections
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'set_debugging_title'

If I sideload by using Windows file explorer the book goes to the Kobo, and it is complete and readable there.

I would appreciate suggestions!
See post #2 of this thread for the answer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #12
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
See post #2 of this thread for the answer.
I saw it, thanks: but I didn't understand what was meant by

"To fix this, you can restore a recent backup of the database if you have one. Otherwise, you will need to sign out of the Kobo account on the device and then sign in again."

And I am not at all sure it worked for de Salier, either.

But I'd be happy to give it a try. Could you just explain in layman's terms how I would "sign out of the Kobo account on the device"?
Old 06-29-2021, 10:18 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
I saw it, thanks: but I didn't understand what was meant by

"To fix this, you can restore a recent backup of the database if you have one. Otherwise, you will need to sign out of the Kobo account on the device and then sign in again."

And I am not at all sure it worked for de Salier, either.

But I'd be happy to give it a try. Could you just explain in layman's terms how I would "sign out of the Kobo account on the device"?
Coincidentally, I just suffered the same problem today with my Elipsa. This should solve your problem:
  1. Go to Home page
  2. Select "More"
  3. Select "Settings"
  4. Select "Accounts" and tap on "Sign out"
After you follow the login steps, your books should reappear.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:04 AM   #14
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Coincidentally, I just suffered the same problem today with my Elipsa. This should solve your problem:
  1. Go to Home page
  2. Select "More"
  3. Select "Settings"
  4. Select "Accounts" and tap on "Sign out"
After you follow the login steps, your books should reappear.
Thanks very much: that did indeed fix the problem. Very kind of you to help a tech-incompetent like me.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #15
Arararara
Arararara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch , Paperwhite ,oasis , Kobo Elipsa
Hello , i got the same problem with my new kobo elipsa it work just fine for some days and then this appeared

It didnt work when i loged out of the kobo and even after reset , it also makes my kobo 'import content ' even if nothing was added
Arararara is offline   Reply With Quote