Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-28-2021, 05:39 AM   #1
LTS
LTS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Automatic elimination of "orphans"

It is a~problem peculiar to Polish I'm afraid. In Polish a~line break after a~one-letter world is a~typographic mistake called "an orphan". For this purpose so-called hard-spaces must be used. I~suppose that orphan elimination may be implemented by Calibre or one of its plugins. Unfotunatelly I~cannot find it. Thanks for any help!
LTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS View Post
It is a~problem peculiar to Polish I'm afraid. In Polish a~line break after a~one-letter world is a~typographic mistake called "an orphan". For this purpose so-called hard-spaces must be used. I~suppose that orphan elimination may be implemented by Calibre or one of its plugins. Unfotunatelly I~cannot find it. Thanks for any help!
Just edit the book and replace all such spaces by a NBSP:

Search: (\W\w)\s+
Replace: \1\u0080 (or equivalent).
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #3
LTS

The problem is: tags (for example <p ....>). This should work for regular text only - not inside tags!
(btw: \u00A0)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
LTS

I can use

([^<A-Za-zĄĆĘŁÓŚŻŹąćęłóśżź]\w)\s+

for avoiding <p ...> and similar tags but omitting all elements inside < > would be perfect
Old 04-04-2021, 04:58 AM   #5
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Look here: https://swiatczytnikow.pl/jak-pozbyc...kow-w-calibre/
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:39 AM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTS View Post
The problem is: tags (for example <p ....>). This should work for regular text only - not inside tags!
(btw: \u00A0)
Ah, yup, my mistake. That's what you get for writing things off-the-cuff.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing, hard-spaces, typography