Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity22 View Post
I have started a new thread about this as the my question is irrelevant to embedded fonts.

Having said that, I have never got embedded fonts to work in Amazon Look Inside for epubs, that I use them in my print books and on Apple.
Given that the LITB is closer to KF7 than KF8/KFX, that's hardly surprising. Amazon basically overrides the font embedding, for the LITB, to prevent the lunatics from taking over the asylum. Everyone remember what happened to the descriptions when they allowed HTML? Anytime you wonder about WHY Amazon won't let you do X, remember the descriptions debacle.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:19 AM   #32
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
remember the descriptions debacle.
Sorry, what is/was the "descriptions debacle"?

If it refers to the <dc:description> in the OPF, yeah, I hate all the html crap you often find there. If I edit that at all, I make it plain text.

Last edited by AlanHK; 12-12-2018 at 01:22 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Sorry, what is/was the "descriptions debacle"?

If it refers to the <dc:description> in the OPF, yeah, I hate all the html crap you often find there. If I edit that at all, I make it plain text.
Hi, no, that's not what I meant. (Altho I don't disagree!). I meant that at one time, you could write HTML in the book description field, using tags like bold, em, color, and heading tags. People used it to make it look as though Amazon had put the content there, using Amazon orange, etc. Not only did Amazon get a bit fed up with the, uh...hijacking, I guess I'd call it, of their colors and text appearance, but more importantly (probably), the HTML in the page would mess with the page's rendering.

I once "solved" a mystery of why a friend's book was appearing, entirely in italics, by realizing that she'd probably left an open italicization tag in the description. Sure enough, once she put in the closing tag, the LookInside no longer appeared all in italics. :-)

Anyway, Amazon decided that they'd had enough of that and significantly curtailed the capability.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:30 AM   #34
Tenome
Enthusiast
Tenome began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Yup, you mean the OS/2 version number. It should be 3. Auto might work, but not always. That is one of the reason my FontShrinker program always sets the version to 3.
Necropost, but I wanted to say thanks for this, had no idea. I couldn't figure out why a font I wanted to use wasn't rendering properly, turns out it was on 2.
Tenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #35
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
Reviving this thread as well simply because this (and threads dating back to 2010) got me started on why certain fonts I was embedding weren't working on ADE. More than just putting the OS/2 version on 3...

You also have to check that the font is installable (not just editable). I was surprised to see that the Liberation Fonts were failing... until I changed that.

Perhaps, you may also need to check that the Charsets are properly set. I also had to select the 4 "Latin" Unicode Ranges on top and "1252 Latin-1" below for certain fonts... it may have to do with the fact that at some point, I made subset TTF files strictly for embedding. But ADE also ignored the font until I fixed that, too. In FontForge this is easily done but the interface is a bit clunky for changing the Charsets.

Last edited by darkpoet; 03-09-2023 at 02:00 PM.
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert