Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Stridr
Stridr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Moving Kindle books to micro-SD card on Samsung Tab A (Android) Tablet

I recently purchased a Samsung Tab A tablet to use primarily as an e-reader. I want to use the Kindle app to read ebooks that I've sideloaded. I don't have enough room on the internal Tab A storage, so I purchased a micro-SD card and want to put the books on there.

However, I am not sure how to have the Kindle app access a folder on my micro-SD card--is this possible?

Most of my books are in azw3 format, and I saved them to a folder on my micro-SD card. My original plan was to use the FBReader app. I've used this app on my phone for years and like it a lot. But I am noticing that it often does not render the format of azw3 ebooks properly. If I were to change them to epub it would do better--but even then the formatting isn't as good as with the Kindle app. Plus, I like various features on the Kindle app better. But to use it, I need to be able to have it access books on my micro-SD card...
Stridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridr View Post

However, I am not sure how to have the Kindle app access a folder on my micro-SD card--is this possible?
The Kindle app does not read from the sdcard. A clumsy workaround would be to store all your books on sdcard and copy or move the books from sdcard to internal storage for reading. Then after finishing move them back

ETA: Unlike eink Kindles the app does not do folders either (just tried to double check). So books that you plan on reading next need to be in internal_storage/kindle

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 07-14-2018 at 11:35 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2018, 01:33 AM   #3
Stridr
Stridr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks. That's disappointing, but it is what it is. I've been coping books from the sd card to to Kindle folder in internal memory on a piecemeal basis already, and it kind of sucks.

I guess I'll just use calibre to reformat all my azw3 files to epub and start using FBReader (or some other ebook reader app).
Stridr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, card, kindle app, micro-sd, tab a