Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
nexo
nexo began at the beginning.

Device: none
No spell checking in Book View?

Maybe I just missed this, but it seems that there is no spell checking in Book View, just in Code View. Is there a plan to add spell checking in Book View?
nexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No. Not at this time. There's no plans to make any new improvements to Book View at all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-05-2018 at 10:10 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Can you explain why this is really needed?

We have the Spellcheck list.
If you click a word, it takes you to the closest occurrence of that word in CV, where you can review the context. a double-click takes you to the next occurrence . In CV, a right-click on the word, offers many choices.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can you explain why this is really needed?
I'd like to see the erroneous words highlighted in Preview. In some situations its hard to discern the context because of the surrounding HTML. Less of a problem in novels, but in reference or technical texts the code often gets in the way.

Sure its not really needed, but then again nor are Windows, Linux and OSX, RT-11 was good enough, surely

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-05-2018 at 07:52 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Sure its not really needed, but then again nor are Windows, Linux and OSX, RT-11 was good enough, surely

BR
RT-11 on PDP 11-03 with two 8 1/4" drives for the win

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #6
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Sometimes I actually read an e-book from within Sigil, using the Book View function. But because I'm fortunate enough to have an eye for editorial misadventures, if I decide that the book is a chocolate mess, I'll just go ahead and run the spellcheck before continuing to read. That gets the actual misspellings out of the way in advance. Then all I have to do is keep my eyes peeled for those malapropisms that are sure to be included.

I understand from what DiapDealer has stated in other threads, that the Book View is a huge maintenance headache--it's like trying to use a screwdriver to drive a nail--so I'm just going to enjoy it while it exists and miss it when it eventually goes away.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
RT-11 on PDP 11-03 with two 8 1/4" drives for the win

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Hey, I learned on that box, bruddah! (Actually, the PDP-8, but...hate to date myself...lol)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hey, I learned on that box, bruddah! (Actually, the PDP-8, but...hate to date myself...lol)

Hitch
PDP 8L, PDP 8e here. both had 'core' type memory and used a TTY for I/O
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:05 AM   #9
nexo

I am a litte surprised about the question, why I would need spell checking in book view.

As an author, the only reason for me to use an Epub editor like Sigil is to write a book directly within the Epub editor without the need of a word processor like Word. For the writing process, I naturally use book view, not code view. Code view is required only for formatting purposes.

I do not know whom Sigil sees as their target user group. If it is book authors, all functionality like spell checking and find & replace should be targeted at book view.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexo View Post
I am a litte surprised about the question, why I would need spell checking in book view.

As an author, the only reason for me to use an Epub editor like Sigil is to write a book directly within the Epub editor without the need of a word processor like Word. For the writing process, I naturally use book view, not code view. Code view is required only for formatting purposes.

I do not know whom Sigil sees as their target user group. If it is book authors, all functionality like spell checking and find & replace should be targeted at book view.
I can't and won't speak for the maintainers, but in the 7-8 years that I've used and been involved with Sigil, it's never--never--been thought of, or promoted as, a word-processor or word-processor replacement.

Nor was ever targeted at authors. It's always been an XHTML editor for the creation of ePUBs, targeted at users who are already familiar with (or willing to learn) the ins and outs of XHTML and CSS. It's the step you use after you've finished your manuscript in a proper word-processor--not the replacement for Word, et al.

You might try something like AWP (Atlantis Word Processor), if you don't want to use Word. Or OO/LO.

If you're interested, do some searching here on the forum. I believe you'll see the same answer, about Sigil very specifically not being a WP replacement, for pretty much always.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I can't and won't speak for the maintainers, but in the 7-8 years that I've used and been involved with Sigil, it's never--never--been thought of, or promoted as, a word-processor or word-processor replacement.
Nope. Not a word-processor.

Quote:
Nor was ever targeted at authors. It's always been an XHTML editor for the creation of ePUBs, targeted at users who are already familiar with (or willing to learn) the ins and outs of XHTML and CSS. It's the step you use after you've finished your manuscript in a proper word-processor--not the replacement for Word, et al.
Exactly so. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine an author using Sigil to write a book.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see Sigil as a bookmakers tool, more or less the equivalent of typographers and binders.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just FYI I know of several authors that use the calibre editor to write books (and that doesn't have book view) so it's quite likely there are even more using sigil for that purpose.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:44 AM   #14
nexo

Ok, I understand now more about the target group of Sigil.

Of course, I would not think of spoiling your wildest dreams, but let me tell you a little bit about my wildest dreams.

As an author, I always dreamed of a tool that would offer the possibility to write an eBook directly within an eBook editor, because I am not interested in technical issues, but want to write, save - and have an eBook. As long as the publishing channel is eBook only, I do not see any sense in writing the book in a word processor and then waste my time converting and adjusting the code.

I met Sigil only a few weeks ago - and my wildest dreams seemed to come true, because Sigil does exactly that. I wrote my last book directly in Sigil. There ist not much missing for the perfect writer's tool - just find & replace and spell checking in Book View. I am sure: If Sigil would add this functionality, many more professional authors would love to use it.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Setting and properly using Styles for headings and such in Libre/Open Office, Pages, or Word can and will allow you to use a full fledged word processor and its tools to write with, and then exporting/importing it into Sigil or Calibre for final polishing (using some of the free plugins) is probably a better bet for most authors.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote