Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
All good points, but width is more important to me than height, and the 7.8" Pocketbook 740 is a few mm narrower than the 7" Kindle Oasis 2.
Hmmm.... the issue I was looking at was the comparison to 6" readers on the web pages happily quoting Pocketbook's sales puffery without stopping to do any real world comparison. On pocketbook.ru, they refer to 7.8-8" screen ereaders as heavy and bulky and comment the 740 is only slightly larger than a typical 6" reader. I used Google's autotranslation feature to read the page.

Another item I found rather funny was hyping the dual core processor. A few months back, I was looking at the Boyue Likebook Plus which is also a 7.8" device but using a quad core processor -- oddly a very similar device to the Icarus XL HD. I just would love to know how their automatic page turning is implemented.

See PocketBook 740 for the original page.

As for the asymmetric design of the Oasis 1 and 2, I gather that was done to put most of the weight of the ereader on one side with the page turn buttons making it easier to hold one handed. I've only handled an Oasis 2 on one occasion and I did find it comfortable to hold one-handed for that short period but then I hold my KA1 and Tolino Epos one-handed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #17
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane View Post
Personally I'm liking the Russian devices. Just give me e-ink, a backlight, storage (SD card) and don't make it hard for me to side-load books and I'll throw money at you.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #18
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Another item I found rather funny was hyping the dual core processor. A few months back, I was looking at the Boyue Likebook Plus which is also a 7.8" device but using a quad core processor -- oddly a very similar device to the Icarus XL HD. I just would love to know how their automatic page turning is implemented.
It is funny to have such power for a reader but there are other apps that I like to use in conjunction, for instance vpn access while browsing private calibre libraries, so, multiprocessors would actually get my attention.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Personally I'm liking the Russian devices. Just give me e-ink, a backlight, storage (SD card) and don't make it hard for me to side-load books and I'll throw money at you.
That's a tall order since e-ink can't be backlit.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #20
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Even by comparison with the Nook GL3 and it's massive bezels, my humble opinion is that the Pocketbook 740 fails to be "about" the size of a 6" device. Height wise, it would saying my 162cm (5' 4" inch) neighbour is about the same height as my 195cm (6' 5") son. The GL3 would be the equivalent of a 5' 9" inch person while the H2O2 would be the equivalent of a 5' 7" person and the Aura 2 coming in at a stubby 5' 2.5" inches.
I thought the "slightly larger than" referred to the weight rather than the physical dimension, and just chalked it up to the automatic translation not being accurate enough.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 02:29 AM   #21
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
That's a tall order since e-ink can't be backlit.
Really? Does my Monte Crisco 3 deceive me?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:05 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If your "Monte Crisco 3" is an e-ink device, it cannot be backlit. To be backlit means the light is behind the screen shining through it. e-ink screens are opaque and light cannot be pass through it. They are frontlit by putting a light guide on the front that shines the light onto the front of the screen.

Beyond that, I cannot comment as a quick search doesn't find anything for "Monte Crisco 3".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Beyond that, I cannot comment as a quick search doesn't find anything for "Monte Crisco 3".
https://www.amazon.com/ONYX-Monte-Cr.../dp/B073Q3SQ27

https://onyxboox.com/boox_monte-cristo3

Last edited by rcentros; 02-03-2018 at 04:53 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #24
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
If your "Monte Crisco 3" is an e-ink device, it cannot be backlit. To be backlit means the light is behind the screen shining through it. e-ink screens are opaque and light cannot be pass through it. They are frontlit by putting a light guide on the front that shines the light onto the front of the screen.

The unique MOON Light technology enables one to use the device in the dark or under poor lighting conditions. When this function is used, soft luminescence of the screen (comfortable for reading) is being generated.

Now, perhaps you are simply being pedantic but my device is certainly an e-ink device and it certainly can be read in the dark.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Now, perhaps you are simply being pedantic but my device is certainly an e-ink device and it certainly can be read in the dark.
Nobody said the eInk devices can't be illuminated, just that they can't be backlit. "Backlighting" is - as its name suggests - having a light source behind the screen, which shines through the screen. You can't backlight an eInk screen for the very simple reason that it's completely opaque.

Illuminated eInk devices are frontlit. That is, they have LEDs above the screen, whose light is directed onto the screen from above by a light diffuser.

This is not pedantry, but a fundamental difference between lighting systems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
All good points, but width is more important to me than height, and the 7.8" Pocketbook 740 is a few mm narrower than the 7" Kindle Oasis 2.
I do agree with this point. Width is what largely determines portability. Much though I enjoy reading on my 7" Kindle Oasis 2, I can't put it into even the largest pocket, because it's too wide. It's almost square, because of the "bulge" at one side of the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #27
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
If your "Monte Crisco 3" is an e-ink device,

http://www.therandomblogger.com/humo...f-monte-crisco

Last edited by 4691mls; 02-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I thought the "slightly larger than" referred to the weight rather than the physical dimension, and just chalked it up to the automatic translation not being accurate enough.
Size not weight is what I think of when I see overall dimensions ( габариты ).
Old 02-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Mountain of vegetable based shortening? Surely you jest.

Seriously I thought it was a Monte Cristo 3 as in Le Comte de Monte-Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (père).

And I'm almost certain that by now many people will have pointed out that an eInk device can not be backlit. Frontlit, yes.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #30
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:

Seriously I thought it was a Monte Cristo 3 as in Le Comte de Monte-Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (père).
That is indeed a play on words that it exploits. Lots of images of Alexandre Dumas and the cover of "Le Comte De Monte Cristo".