Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
David Kudler
Enthusiast
David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad
Bug: multiple "cover-image" tags

I love the Add Cover... tool. Nice, responsive cover — what's not to like? But it's got a bug that I find irritating.

When you use it to replace a cover image, it adds the properties="cover-image" property to the new image in the OPF manifest... but doesn't remove it from the old one.

This leads to epubcheck failure, and having to go back and find the old image and remove the property in the OPF file manually. Not a huge problem, but annoying.

I'm running Sigil 0.9.8 on a MacBook Pro running macOS 10.12.6, FWIW.

Other folks have run into this, right? I often have to replace the cover before uploading to KDP, since I don't want the full-scale image taking up valuable KB; and sometimes, with series, I'm simply dropping the new text (and cover) into the template file.

Last edited by David Kudler; 08-01-2017 at 03:40 PM.
David Kudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't typically use it to replace a cover image (I delete the existing cover image first), but I have witnessed some squirrelly behavior when used with existing covers in the past. I just never tracked down exactly what was happening.

I tend to use the InsertImageSVG plugin and just set the semantics manually for the cover image. But there's no reason why the built-in feature should not work correctly. I'll take a look at it when I get some time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
David Kudler
Enthusiast
David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thanks! I realize I'm being lazy —*and everyone's workflow is different. But it would be nifty to be able simply to replace the cover with one quick pass.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can duplicate the issue. It only affects EPUB3s. I see it, but I don't know how to fix it yet. Just "seeing it" is a huge part of the battle for me, though.

Thanks for the bug report and the details.

P.S. the code in place is definitely intended to allow you to replace an existing cover, so it's not just a "lazy" thing. It's just missing a piece that removes the properties="cover-image" portion from a previously existing cover image with EPUB3s.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
David Kudler
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update! Nice to know I'm not just lazy or crazy (not just). ;-)
Advert
Old 08-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kudler View Post
Thanks for the update! Nice to know I'm not just lazy or crazy (not just). ;-)
You could be irregardless of the bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
David Kudler
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could be irregardless of the bug.
As I said, not JUST.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This should now be fixed in master. As a workaround please use Tools->Epub3 Tools -> Update Manifest Properties and it should fix the duplicate cover-image properties.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-17-2017 at 02:30 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
This should now be fixed in master. As a workaround please use Tools->Epub3 Tools -> Update Manifest Properties and it should workaround the duplicate cover-image properties.
Thanks, Kevin. I was checking out possible solutions for this but I couldn't quite find one that wasn't too "unwieldy."
Old 08-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
David Kudler
Enthusiast

Nice! Thank you both.

Tags
0.9.8, bug report, cover, cover tool, sigil