Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
swamp thing
Enthusiast
swamp thing began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Gutenberg.org : "Read this book online" feature broken?

There used to be a feature at www.gutenberg.org, where you could read a book page by page within your browser. There were controls for page navigation and bookmarking.

This feature seems to be broken... for example:-

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24895

The link that says "Read this book online" is now merged with the one for downloading the entire HTML document.

Any idea what happened? Is there still a way to get to the in-browser reading interface?

Thanks,
S.T.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Selecting "Read This Book Online" allows one to read in-browser. I just did so, for the book whose link you provided and for another I randomly chose, linked here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45813...-h/45813-h.htm.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Hovering your mouse pointer over "Read this book online: HTML" shows the "Download" label, but clicking it opens it (as HTML, I suspect) in your browser. Or, at least, it should.

If that's not working for you, what browser are you using?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Selecting "Read This Book Online" allows one to read in-browser. I just did so, for the book whose link you provided and for another I randomly chose, linked here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45813...-h/45813-h.htm.
I can just say that, for me also, it is still working properly. (?) Have you (the OP) somehow set up your browser to "Save Link As ..." instead of opening the file when clicked?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
swamp thing
Enthusiast

Hi..

Froide and rcentros --- when you click on the link, do you see the entire book as a single HTML file (couple of hundred kb worth of text) in your browser?

Or... do you get a few paragraphs (a "page") with navigation buttons and page number selector?

In the past (more than a few months ago) I used to get a pagified version with nav buttons etc.

Today, I get the whole book in a single view in the browser.

One more point that should help resolve the issue :
In the current version of the book's web page, the links saying "Read this book online" is located in the table of different formats that are available.

In the old version, the same link was located above the table and presumably pointed somewhere else. See this blog for a description and screenshot of the "read online" feature as it is supposed to work (scroll down to item-1):
http://ebookfriendly.com/project-gutenberg-tips-tricks/

===============
Screenshot of the old version:

Thanks and Regards,
S.T.
Advert
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
swamp thing
Enthusiast

I found some bookmarks that I had saved a long while back. Although they don't work any more, I could build working ones by trial and error that give you "online" views of arbitrary books.

For example:

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/wor...5812&pageno=20

A General History and Collection of Voyages and Travels — Volume 02 by Kerr
(bookmark to page 20 of this book)
Old 06-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've been using Project Gutenberg for many years. When I click on HTML the entire book appears in my browser and I can scroll down through it. I can't remember it ever working differently, BUT the arrangement you describe, a page at a time with navigation buttons, is how the "read online" function works at Archive.org, and Archive does have a separate collection of Project Gutenberg books.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #8
swamp thing
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
When I click on HTML the entire book appears in my browser and I can scroll down through it.
That's just it.. the "Read online" hyperlink used to be different from the "HTML" link, but now it has moved down into the table and become part of the HTML link.

See my previous post for a URL that still works, that I have constructed by trial and error. The problem is that it takes you to an arbitrary text file.. I don't know how to make this URL work for a given book, because the serial number is not the same as the book ID that is used in the main page for the document that we are interested in.

S.T.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #9
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
+1 to what cromag and swamp thing described. I've cut and pasted the following content from the download tab:

The Call Of The South by Louis Becke

No cover available

DownloadBibrec
Download This eBook

Format Size
Read this book online: HTML 541 kB
EPUB (no images) 202 kB
Kindle (no images) 819 kB
Plain Text UTF-8 475 kB
More Files…
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
JohnRR
Connoisseur
JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnRR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Maybe you can use the Firefox browser and the EPUBReader addon. It allows you to navigate and bookmark.
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote