Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
ryddera
ryddera began at the beginning.

Device: ipad mini
"spine is undefined" error

Greetings folks :-)

As a newbie (and a new member to the forum) I had to audacity to create a test version of a fixed-layout epub with media overlay.

When testing it I get a "spine is undefined" error (in Firefox), and the epub is completely ignored by both Readium and epubcheck.

I patched this epub together (by hand) from various tutorials and other sources I came upon online, and now have no idea how to proceed. When the epubcheck starts spewing forth error messages, then I'll know what to do next :-) otherwise I'm completely in the dark.

Can I use Sigil for media overlay epubs?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks, in advance,

Ryddera
Attached Files
File Type: epub test-3.epub (230.7 KB, 147 views)
ryddera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
You used the wrong comment format in your .opf file:

Code:
<!– misc –>
AFAIK, comments in .xml files require two hyphens on each side:

Code:
<!–- misc -–>
As for the your file, you may want to download some ePub3 sample files, reverse-engineer them and compare them with your file to find out what you need to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryddera View Post
Can I use Sigil for media overlay epubs?
Sigil is an ePub2 editor and doesn't support ePub3 features such as media overlays.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
ryddera

Doitsu,

Thanks for the sample files and the confirmation regarding Sigil. I must have been working with the wrong examples and I do have a lot to learn but, any pointers regarding the "spine is undefined" error would be greatly appreciated. If it's at all possible.

Thanks again,

Ryddera
Old 12-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryddera View Post
I must have been working with the wrong examples and I do have a lot to learn but, any pointers regarding the "spine is undefined" error would be greatly appreciated. If it's at all possible.
Whatever spine error message Firefox displays is irrelevant. What kind of errors did epubcheck display?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
ryddera

>What kind of errors did epubcheck display?

I get nothing, a blank screen, with the validator logo at the top. I am using the online (beta) version.

(Thanks!) Ryddera
Advert
Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Did you use this website? If so, try again, because it displayed several errors and warnings for your file.

Code:
ERROR 	OEBPS/content.opf 	19 	3 	The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup.
ERROR 	OEBPS/content.opf 	- 	- 	The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup.
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/audio/page01.m4a) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/cover.xhtml) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/images/cover.jpg) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/page01.smil) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/images/Thumbs.db) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/Thumbs.db) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/fonts/Booter_5-0.ttf) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/images/background1.jpg) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/page02.xhtml) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/images/background2.jpg) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/css/styles.css) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/toc.ncx) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/page01.xhtml) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
WARNING 	item (OEBPS/css/page01.css) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
It seems that the errors are caused by comments in the .opf file and the warnings by undeclared files.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
ryddera

Weird! This is the URL I was using, and all I got was a blank screen (on BOTH my computers!). I'll figure out what was wrong with the validator, but the great news is that I now have a list I can work with Many thanks! Now I can proceed on my own.
I am so glad I joined this forum
Best,
Ryddera
Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Download epubcheck and run it locally on your computer. It does require Java.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
ryddera

JSWolf,
I just found out about that option. I have Java on my computer and I intend to try it out. Thanks!
Rudders