Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
cane
Enthusiast
cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3,Kindle Oasis 2016,2022 Basic kindle
PocketBook 740

This looks like a winner to me.

. The Pocketbook 740 costs 14999 rubles, or $266 USD
https://translate.googleusercontent....ZIFLdu8MerDWgQ

one more link
https://translate.google.ca/translat...tbook%2F740%2F

https://translate.google.ca/translat...oj&prev=search

Last edited by cane; 01-30-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more info
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
It does look interesting. I've been thinking about getting a new e-reader, but I'm happy still with my Glo, so another device would need to give me something that I don't already have and would benefit from, i.e. a larger display. None of the existing 7.8" options I looked at convinced me completely (mostly the absence of a card slot). This one seems to have it all.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane View Post
Don't you think you should credit the site where you learned of the 740?

It's pretty clear you lifted that first second sentence from my blog post. Where's the link to my post?

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-31-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Don't you think you should credit the site where you learned of the 740?

It's pretty clear you lifted that first sentence from my blog post. Where's the link to my post?
I was looking at your blog post and saw that "This looks like a winner to me." sentence posted in a comment by jimo at 10:24AM while the post here by cane with that sentence was posted at 10:17AM (both posted on 2018-Jan-30 and ASSuming that MR shows the time for my time zone while Digital Reader shows the time for EST so 3 hours ahead). The first link in the message on MR is the same as the link in the message from jimo though the link on MR worked -- the ... in the link on Digital Reader doesn't work for me.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-30-2018 at 11:35 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:29 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Who usually sells those in the US? Or do they have to be imported?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was looking at your blog post and saw that "This looks like a winner to me." sentence posted in a comment by jimo at 10:24AM while the post here by cane with that sentence was posted at 10:17AM (both posted on 2018-Jan-30 and ASSuming that MR shows the time for my time zone while Digital Reader shows the time for EST so 3 hours ahead). The first link in the message on MR is the same as the link in the message from jimo though the link on MR worked -- the ... in the link on Digital Reader doesn't work for me.
I have no idea what you're trying to say.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:00 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Who usually sells those in the US? Or do they have to be imported?
They have to be imported, but I don't know from whom. I used to buy mine from a Pocketbook France, but I don't think they are still in operation.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no idea what you're trying to say.
What I was saying?
  1. the comment on your blog post with "This looks like a winner to me" in it was posted 7 minutes after the post on MR with the same sentence. The sentence was not written by you as part of your post.
  2. The link in the comment on your blog was hooped while the link in the post here was usable -- I am assuming they pointed to the same page as the visible portions of the link were identical.
  3. Based on the above two points, it would appear to be more likely that jimo used cane's post as the basis for his comment. Alternately they are the same person.

I did a test comment on your site and the time stamp on it was 3 hours ahead of my local time. Posts on MR are set to show in my time zone so I subtracted 3 hours from the time of the comment by jimo which still left it being posted 7 minutes after the post on MR by cane.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-31-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
What I was saying?
  1. the comment on your blog post with the "This looks like a winner to me" in it was posted 7 minutes after the post on MR with the same sentence. The sentence was not written by you as part of your post.
  2. The link in the comment on your blog was hooped while the link in the post here was usable -- I am assuming they pointed to the same page as the visible portions of the link were identical.
  3. Based on the above two points, it would appear to be more likely that jimo used cane's post as the basis for his comment. Alternately they are the same person.

I did a test comment on your site and the time stamp on it was 3 hours ahead of my local time. Posts on MR are set to show in my time zone so I subtracted 3 hours from the time of the comment by jimo which still left it being posted 7 minutes after the post on MR by cane.
The sentence is identical to the one in the text of my post, which I published at 11:39 am. According to the timestamp I see on MR, this thread was not posted until 1:17 pm (all times eastern).

When you consider the idiosyncratic formatting of that sentence, and the time stamps, it is pretty clear that I didn't get the credit I deserved.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
The sentence is identical to the one in the text of my post, which I published at 11:39 am. According to the timestamp I see on MR, this thread was not posted until 1:17 pm (all times eastern).

When you consider the idiosyncratic formatting of that sentence, and the time stamps, it is pretty clear that I didn't get the credit I deserved.
This seems rather odd. I see only one instance of the word winner when I look at the blog post I read and that was in the comment by jimo. The blog post I am looking at is located at: PocketBook 740 Features a 7.8″ Screen, Dual-Core CPU. Is there another post I missed as the closest I come to the winner sentence is "This is a tempting ereader, especially when you consider the price." in the post I read.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
This seems rather odd. I see only one instance of the word winner when I look at the blog post I read and that was in the comment by jimo. The blog post I am looking at is located at: PocketBook 740 Features a 7.8″ Screen, Dual-Core CPU. Is there another post I missed as the closest I come to the winner sentence is "This is a tempting ereader, especially when you consider the price." in the post I read.
sorry, I screwed up a little - I was referring to

"The Pocketbook 740 costs 14999 rubles, or $266 USD"
Old 01-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
sorry, I screwed up a little - I was referring to

"The Pocketbook 740 costs 14999 rubles, or $266 USD"
Thanks. That makes it quite a bit clearer given the link only gives the price in rubles and you rounded the price in US$ down.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-31-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
cane
Enthusiast
cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3,Kindle Oasis 2016,2022 Basic kindle
https://translate.google.com/transla...8/&prev=search

THE FLAGSHIP POCKETBOOK POCKETBOOK 740 COSTS 14,999 RUBLES

https://amazingreveal.com/2018/02/01...8-inch-screen/

AMAZING REVEAL
THE BACKBONE OF INFORMATION

Last edited by cane; 02-02-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: more features
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Gotta love all the quoting each other these pages do. Especially, the comments about the narrow frame allowing the device to be "about the size of a 6-inch device" and "only slightly larger than the 6-inch models"

So here are the sizes of a few other ereaders for comparison:

Code:
6" devices
Kindle Voyage     162 x 115 x 7.6mm
Kobo Aura 2       159 x 113 x 8.5mm
Nook Glowlight 3  176 x 127 x 8.8mm

6.8" devices
Kobo H2O 2        172 x 129 x 8.8mm

7.8" devices
Kobo Aura One     195 x 138.5 x 6.9mm
Tolino Epos       209 x 140 x 8.2mm
Pocketbook 740    195 x 136.5 x 8mm
Even by comparison with the Nook GL3 and it's massive bezels, my humble opinion is that the Pocketbook 740 fails to be "about" the size of a 6" device. Height wise, it would saying my 162cm (5' 4" inch) neighbour is about the same height as my 195cm (6' 5") son. The GL3 would be the equivalent of a 5' 9" inch person while the H2O2 would be the equivalent of a 5' 7" person and the Aura 2 coming in at a stubby 5' 2.5" inches.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Gotta love all the quoting each other these pages do. Especially, the comments about the narrow frame allowing the device to be "about the size of a 6-inch device" and "only slightly larger than the 6-inch models"

So here are the sizes of a few other ereaders for comparison:

Code:
6" devices
Kindle Voyage     162 x 115 x 7.6mm
Kobo Aura 2       159 x 113 x 8.5mm
Nook Glowlight 3  176 x 127 x 8.8mm

6.8" devices
Kobo H2O 2        172 x 129 x 8.8mm

7.8" devices
Kobo Aura One     195 x 138.5 x 6.9mm
Tolino Epos       209 x 140 x 8.2mm
Pocketbook 740    195 x 136.5 x 8mm
Even by comparison with the Nook GL3 and it's massive bezels, my humble opinion is that the Pocketbook 740 fails to be "about" the size of a 6" device. Height wise, it would saying my 162cm (5' 4" inch) neighbour is about the same height as my 195cm (6' 5") son. The GL3 would be the equivalent of a 5' 9" inch person while the H2O2 would be the equivalent of a 5' 7" person and the Aura 2 coming in at a stubby 5' 2.5" inches.
All good points, but width is more important to me than height, and the 7.8" Pocketbook 740 is a few mm narrower than the 7" Kindle Oasis 2.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote