Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Phoenix87103
Phoenix87103 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PDF support in Kindle Paperwhite

Is it possible to read PDFs landscape mode in Kindle PaperWhite?

I'm thinking of buying a paperwhite and all of my books are in .pdf format. It would be useless for me to buy one if paperwhite doesn't support PDFs in landscape mode. A website (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...paperwhit.html) says "The Kindle paperwhite does not support reading PDFs in landscape mode."

Can someone please confirm if paperwhite indeed does not support PDFs in landscape mode. Also does anyone know if amazon is going to release an ebook reader with better pdf support anytime soon?
Phoenix87103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
disu93
disu93 began at the beginning.

huh? I don't know why it says it doesn't. All my PDF's have landscape mode! But the way that the kindle views pdf's is bad, it has big margins. Fortunately, you can jailbreak it and remove the margins so it fills the screen.
disu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Paperwhite supports landscape mode for PDFs though the margins are too big so not the whole space is used. Here how it looks like (the book is not in English but it doesn't matter).

Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF is not an eBook format. No 6" device is at all satisfactory for reading PDFs unless the pages are formatted for that screen size. Almost all PDFs are formatted for A4/Letter paper sizes.

If you want to read PDFs, get a large-screen tablet, or at the very minimum an eInk device with a 9.7" screen. A PW is not a good choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Those are pretty nice screenies. I didn't know the PW could landscape pdfs. Does it split the page up into two halves (bottom and top) in landscape mode?

Does it also support text reflow? I suppose zoom is too much to ask for.

My old 650 does that and most pdfs are pretty readable, though it's not ideal. The rooted Nook STR does it too, though I think the 650 does it better.

Bear in mind that ereaders are not ideally suited to reading pdfs, but you can do it, with the right ereader and software, in a pinch. Personally I prefer to convert them. You can do it with mobipocket creator.

Obviously a 10 inch tablet would handle the format better. I do understand amazon has started selling the large screen DX again. You might consider that, but they are not cheap.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it splits the page horizontally.

The PW (like all Kindles) supports PDF zoom, but not reflow.

Honestly, you'd be wasting your time with a PW if PDF is your primary format. Learn from the experience of those of us who've "been there, done that, got the Tee-shirt" . If you insist on buying in spite of what we recommend, buy direct from Amazon so you'll be able to return it.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
There is a PDF Converter that will attempt to reformat a PDF to a more suitable screen size, effectively taking a 20 page PDF and making it a 60 page file.

I've had some success with it, but that it dependant on the initial file

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
And we integrated it into KoReader (see developers' board) - but jailbreaking and running third party software isn't for everyone.

In general, I agree with HarryT. Reading PDFs with (at least 10") tablets is so much more fun.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There is PDF to Epub which can turn them into HTML, Epub or Kindle format books. Calibre can also do it though in both cases it does seem to depend on the initial PDF file.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Notrega
Notrega began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite / Fire
You can send the pdf file to your kindle email with "convert" in the subject of the email and it will convert it for you. It has a tendency to jack some of the graphics if you are converting a textbook for example. I had several pdfs I had to read for a class and did't want to print and carry a thousand pages. The convert bit worked well on my Fire, no reason it shouldn't work on the PW.

Last edited by Notrega; 06-06-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Notrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Phoenix87103

Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone know if Amazon have any plans to release a new kindle (perhaps with better pdf support)? Also what do you think about Ectaco JetBook Colour 2?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix87103 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone know if Amazon have any plans to release a new kindle (perhaps with better pdf support)? Also what do you think about Ectaco JetBook Colour 2?
Amazon did release a Kindle with a better PDF support. The Kindle Fire 8.9 HD is much better for PDF then an eInk Kindle. But that said, the iPad with Goodreader is even better then any Kindle (or any Android tablet) for PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #13
Phoenix87103

k. Thanks. Guess I'm gonna go for an iPad
Old 06-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Yamada
Enthusiast
Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yamada ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad; K1/2/DX; Some Sony thing I bought at Yodobashi
Why do people keep insisting trying to read PDFs on these things?
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
Why do people keep insisting trying to read PDFs on these things?
Because PDF is a very common format, and many people are not experts, and don't understand the fundamental differences between PDF and a "proper" reflowable ebook format.