Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #16
Retired Newbie
Retired Newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4GB 8th Generation
Thank you all for your help. I have discovered that I can switch my router/modem from broadband to wifi and back again, so I have been able to register my Kindle with Amazon and can just switch to wifi briefly when I want to download eBooks etc.

Many thanks!
Retired Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Just out of interest, how does your computer connect to what you are calling 'broadband'? (Wifi is just another way of transmitting broadband.)

I mean, when your wifi signal is switched off, how do you connect your computer to the internet?

I use something which in the UK are called 'home plugs' but I believe that in the US they're called 'powerlines'. They are large plugs which go into electrical power sockets. You put one beside your router/modem and connect the two with the ethernet cable; and you put another into a power socket beside your computer, with one end of an ethernet cable plugged into the computer and the other end plugged into the home plug. You can, I believe, set up a home network this way, but I just use them for a single computer wherever I happen to be sitting at the time.

This is a version of them (mine are much older):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BD9TF...123&th=1&psc=1

Just curious about how you connect to the internet if you're not using wifi?

Last edited by BookCat; 12-14-2018 at 12:32 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I use something which in the UK are called 'home plugs' but I believe that in the US they're called 'powerlines'. They are large plugs which go into electrical power sockets.
They are really special radio transmitters helped by the home wiring which acts as an aerial. All cause interference to Shortwave radio. Newer faster ones interfere with FM radio and even Air band.
They work badly if there is SMPSU / Charger / CFL / LED psu interference. They are mostly using the mains for power.
The makers get them to pass FCC / CE /CSA by a cheat, either only plugging one in, or not sending data, or too short mains cable. Actual ethernet cable is really cheap and can run at a genuine 1000Mbps. WiFi speed depends on distance, equipment, number of users etc.
Actual home network speed is unrelated to the Internet connection speed (via Broadband, Mobile/cell or Satellite terminal).
I used to be an RF design engineer at an Internet Service Supplier. That's why I know.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
They are really special radio transmitters helped by the home wiring which acts as an aerial. All cause interference to Shortwave radio. Newer faster ones interfere with FM radio and even Air band.
They work badly if there is SMPSU / Charger / CFL / LED psu interference. They are mostly using the mains for power.
The makers get them to pass FCC / CE /CSA by a cheat, either only plugging one in, or not sending data, or too short mains cable. Actual ethernet cable is really cheap and can run at a genuine 1000Mbps. WiFi speed depends on distance, equipment, number of users etc.
Actual home network speed is unrelated to the Internet connection speed (via Broadband, Mobile/cell or Satellite terminal).
I used to be an RF design engineer at an Internet Service Supplier. That's why I know.
I've used these for years with no problems (touch wood). The only ones I had problems with were a pair of Devolo ones which kept losing the signal. I've had my current ones for about ten years with very few issues. On rare occasions the ethernet cable has become loose; easily fixed.

I listen to the radio only via computer. I prefer to listen to podcasts so I'm not tied down to particular times. Same for television, though I prefered it when I didn't need a license for this. So I've no idea how this affects radio waves.

I don't really see the point of your statement, except to say that they're expensive. They're cheaper now than they were when I bought them. They used to be around £70-£80. It should be a one time expense, unless you buy a particularly dud pair, in which case you can return them.

Written not from a scientific point of view, but that of someone who has actually used these for a very long time.

Wifi always gave me a headache on both sides of my head, right at the point where the laptop antennae (sp?) are. So I keep my laptop's wifi signal finder turned off.

I now live in a quiet, leafy, residential area of mostly elderly people and a few families which is not bombarded by signals, unlike the studentified locale in which I previously lived. (I learned about the wifi sensitivity by pinching unsecured wifi for a short time before I had cable installed.)

The OP doesn't seem to be a techno wizard, so can I respectfully suggest keeping the science bit to a minimum. It goes over our heads.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If not properly designed and constructed, home ethernet over power line devices can cause considerable interference to various radio receivers in many different radio bands, possibly over an entire neighborhood.

There have been proposed schemes to provide internet over electric power utility distribution lines that were alleged to interfere with GPS signal reception (and amateur radio receivers as well).

The regulation of radio interference are for the protection of neighbors of device owners, not for the protection of device owners.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J

I can only assume that there are no such regulations in the UK, otherwise they would not be so easily available here. They are openly displayed in shops like Currys and Computer World. Which is unlike the old-style light bulbs which can now only be purchased on line (I hate the eco bulbs, they're impossible to get rid of and dangerous.)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I can only assume that there are no such regulations in the UK, otherwise they would not be so easily available here. They are openly displayed in shops like Currys and Computer World. Which is unlike the old-style light bulbs which can now only be purchased on line (I hate the eco bulbs, they're impossible to get rid of and dangerous.)
Only because they are readily availlable does not mean they are not also heavily regulated. Cars in the UK are readily availlable for sale and displayed everywhere. Yes? And yet they are very heavily regulated to be street legal, much more so than in the US, for example. (With the one possible exception of California where touching anything puts you in grave danger of getting cancer).

Which kind of eco bulbs are you talking about? The old style CFL are not easily disposed of, but that was yesterday. Current eco bulbs (the led kind) are not dangerous and most can even be recycled.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #23
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Which kind of eco bulbs are you talking about? The old style CFL are not easily disposed of, but that was yesterday. Current eco bulbs (the led kind) are not dangerous and most can even be recycled.
I think I'm refering to the CFL type, the ones which contain lots of mercury. Led lighting gives a very harsh light. I prefer the old style bulbs, I think they were called incandescent.
(However, I hate the light-fittings in this house and must get an electrician in to change them - they are stupid chandelier things which shine the light at the ceiling, not the room!)

Presumably, if there were lots of regs re the home plugs this would be plastered all over the literature which comes with it. As I said above, it's a long time since I needed to buy them as mine have been working fine for ages, but I don't remember any regs being mentioned. Nor were they mentioned by the cable company engineer who replaced my modem/router a couple of years ago. He could see I was using them, if not, I explicitly told him when asking him to switch off the wifi on the router/modem.

If home plugs were policed in Britain, we'd know about it.

It's a bit like having a policeman come to your house while you're smoking a joint and not saying anything about this. Doesn't happen. You'd be marched down the local nick.

Last edited by BookCat; 12-15-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #24
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Presumably, if there were lots of regs re the home plugs this would be plastered all over the literature which comes with it.
I wouldn't be so sure. It's amazing how many N-in-1 adapter plugs you can buy which are totally nonconformant with BS1363 and sodding dangerous as a result. Mostly these are available from online sellers, but not exclusively. (Way too many examples at http://www.bs1363.org.uk/.)

And that's a violation which doesn't cause wifi interference but rather explosions and electrocution.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J

I bought mine from an actual shop; can't remember if it was Currys or PC World (they were next door to each other at the time). So not too concerned (touch wood) about them exploding.

This is getting very silly and off-topic.