Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #34216
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
On March 25th I paid several bills online out of my checking account, including the electric power bill which was due by April 1st. I got a confirmation number for that payment which I wrote down.

Today (April 7th) I was balancing my checkbook and discovered that the power company payment had never cleared. I went online to my power company account and it was showing as past due.

I called the power company's customer service and found out that my confirmation number is useless. The woman didn't even want it. All she would do was take my payment over the phone.

I asked how am I supposed to know if any of my future payments go through, given that apparently the confirmation number means nothing? She said I can go online to my account the next day and see if it still shows a balance. Why should I have to do this ??

And to top it off, she kept accusing me of yelling. I was not yelling. I live in an apartment building with thin walls and I don't want my neighbors knowing my business. I was speaking firmly but politely, not using any foul language or anything like that.

So now I guess every month I will have to log into my power company account TWICE - once to pay my bill, and a second time a couple days later to make sure the payment actually went through.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:53 PM   #34217
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
On March 25th I paid several bills online out of my checking account, including the electric power bill which was due by April 1st. I got a confirmation number for that payment which I wrote down.

Today (April 7th) I was balancing my checkbook and discovered that the power company payment had never cleared. I went online to my power company account and it was showing as past due.

I called the power company's customer service and found out that my confirmation number is useless. The woman didn't even want it. All she would do was take my payment over the phone.

I asked how am I supposed to know if any of my future payments go through, given that apparently the confirmation number means nothing? She said I can go online to my account the next day and see if it still shows a balance. Why should I have to do this ??

And to top it off, she kept accusing me of yelling. I was not yelling. I live in an apartment building with thin walls and I don't want my neighbors knowing my business. I was speaking firmly but politely, not using any foul language or anything like that.

So now I guess every month I will have to log into my power company account TWICE - once to pay my bill, and a second time a couple days later to make sure the payment actually went through.
Just curious, but are you using your banks bill pay or the electric companies site to pay?

It does seem very strange that a confirmation number is no help.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:19 PM   #34218
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just curious, but are you using your banks bill pay or the electric companies site to pay?

It does seem very strange that a confirmation number is no help.
The the "Log on to my power company account twice" comment seems to suggest it was the power company's own system, not the banks. If so, this is really outrageous, and you should do more than vent and rant here. If a customer service manager can't help you, then complain to your board of public utilities and anyone else who'll listen. Media consumer advocates, perhaps?

If it was in fact the bank's system, then of course it's not the power companies fault, any more than a check lost in the mail would be their fault, and the bank's confirmation number wouldn't mean anything to them obviously.

However the attitude of the rep you spoke to is a problem in either case. I find from experience that CSRs who are so concerned with telling customers how THEY want to be treated rather than being concerned about how they are treating the customer (you know, the person who it is their job to treat respectfully and serve?) are often the most incompetent and ill-informed CSRs. They seem to be so busying looking for ways to demand respect from you, that they have no intellectual capacity left for learning their company policies and procedures, nor do they think being informed and accurate in such matters is of any concern, compared to the task of making sure they themselves are not disrespected. So you might want to simply call back during a a different shift and speak to another rep or a manager who actually seems to care about serving customers. I would not be surprised if you found out that there IS a way to verify payments with their confirmation number after all.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 04-08-2021 at 10:38 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #34219
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab A
I always write the confirmation number in my bank book, figuring that it'd be useful in an instance like this. Otherwise why do they give it? I'd ask for a manager, sounds like the person answering the phone didn't care to help you much.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:27 AM   #34220
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I always write the confirmation number in my bank book, figuring that it'd be useful in an instance like this. Otherwise why do they give it? I'd ask for a manager, sounds like the person answering the phone didn't care to help you much.
I do this, too. In my case, when I pay my credit card bill I write the payment date and confirmation number on the bill. They also offer an email confirmation, which I always ask for.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:57 AM   #34221
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I used to take screen captures, but stopped. My bank has a history of the transactions going back a year.

I guess it is possible that something could go wrong and my bank may screw up, but I get cross checks (account activity and daily balances emails) that I thought the confirmation numbers were redundant.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #34222
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

If it was in fact the bank's system, then of course it's not the power companies fault, any more than a check lost in the mail would be their fault, and the bank's confirmation number wouldn't mean anything to them obviously.

ApK
Wouldn't it depend on where "it got lost in the mail"? If it got "lost in the mail" once the power company received the mail, I would say it is the power companies fault (although hard to prove for regular mail).
Old 04-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #34223
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wouldn't it depend on where "it got lost in the mail"? If it got "lost in the mail" once the power company received the mail, I would say it is the power companies fault (although hard to prove for regular mail).
Dude. (?!)

I think it's well understood, particularly in context, what "lost in the mail" means.

Did you honestly think I meant, or that readers would assume I meant, that "lost in the mail" referred to the loss or mishandling by the recipient of an item that had previously been delivered by mail?!
Old 04-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #34224
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
It was the power company's online payment system, which I have been using for a long time with no problem until now.

I hate making phone calls and I am not someone who thinks quickly enough in such a situation. I found the power company also has a place on their website where you can email customer service so I will probably try following up that way. At least they won't be able to accuse me of shouting at them....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #34225
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dude. (?!)

I think it's well understood, particularly in context, what "lost in the mail" means.

Did you honestly think I meant, or that readers would assume I meant, that "lost in the mail" referred to the loss or mishandling by the recipient of an item that had previously been delivered by mail?!
bro!! Since they aren't honoring a confirmation number, I would also assume they are the type of company that would use an excuse like "it must have got lost in the mail" even it was still sitting in their mail room, it fell behind a cabinet in their mail room, they just threw it out, ...
Old 04-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #34226
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It was the power company's online payment system, which I have been using for a long time with no problem until now.

Thank you for the clarification.

Makes you think about stuff like this when companies say "would you like a confirmation number?".

Reminds me of the Seinfeld skit about car reservations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM
Old 04-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #34227
ApK

Quote:
bro!! Since they aren't honoring a confirmation number, I would also assume they are the type of company that would use an excuse like "it must have got lost in the mail" even it was still sitting in their mail room, it fell behind a cabinet in their mail room, they just threw it out, ...

Indeed! But I'M not them, nor am I that type, and it was MY comment you challenged, not theirs!

Note, I would only harp on you for this in the Vent and Rant thread...cuz I'm allowed to, you know...vent and rant. :-)
Old 04-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #34228
ApK

Quote:
Reminds me of the Seinfeld skit about car reservations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM
Funny cuz it's true. The rep's look at the end was immensely satisfying.
Though I think my favorite part was "I hate everybody, why would I like him?"

Last edited by ApK; 04-08-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #34229
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Indeed! But I'M not them, nor am I that type, and it was MY comment you challenged, not theirs!

Note, I would only harp on you for this in the Vent and Rant thread...cuz I'm allowed to, you know...vent and rant. :-)
You are correct, I shouldn't have quoted you. I ment to challenge the power company, not your statement.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness