Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
Nephesh
Nephesh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 7th gen (2014)
Question Ubuntu Thin font don't shuw up in list

Hello there I'm new, I got a Kindle basic since 2015 but i started really using it just last year. I both bought books and sideloaded some good ol' public domain titles (that literally and literary open a world for me)

So, to the question: I use ubuntu typeface family but since some month ago, i believe, i cannot choose the Thin font no matter what format or from what source the book is except when Ubuntu Thin is the only font present in the custom font folder. Do you happen to have a clue?

THANKS in advance
Nephesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephesh View Post
Hello there I'm new, I got a Kindle basic since 2015 but i started really using it just last year. I both bought books and sideloaded some good ol' public domain titles (that literally and literary open a world for me)

So, to the question: I use ubuntu typeface family but since some month ago, i believe, i cannot choose the Thin font no matter what format or from what source the book is except when Ubuntu Thin is the only font present in the custom font folder. Do you happen to have a clue?

THANKS in advance
What is the name of the Ubantu Thin font as it is in the font's metadata? It could be that it's the same as one of the other Ubantu fonts you have loaded and only one of them can be used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
Nephesh

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the name of the Ubantu Thin font as it is in the font's metadata? It could be that it's the same as one of the other Ubantu fonts you have loaded and only one of them can be used.
If i recall right this happens even when Thin is with other typeface than Ubuntu. Anyway: how can i change metadata of it? Thanks for the quick reply :P:

Last edited by Nephesh; 01-30-2021 at 05:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If i recall right this happens even when Thin is with other typeface than Ubuntu. Anyway: how can i change metadata of it? Thanks for the quick reply :P: 2thumbsup
If you have FontForge you can use that to check what the name of the font is in the metadata.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
Nephesh

Wink

Quote:
If you have FontForge you can use that to check what the name of the font is in the metadata.
Oh thanks i'll try using it and report back. bye and thanks again.
Advert
Old 02-01-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
Nephesh

Hello there mates,

eeeeh I tried with the software, changend here and there things but to no avail sigh.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
Nephesh

Quote:
I changed everything that was changeable but still don't find what is conflicting, do you happen to know what specific parameter should be the problem?
Old 02-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I changed everything that was changeable but still don't find what is conflicting, do you happen to know what specific parameter should be the problem?
I'll have a look for the font and see if it works on my PW3.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Is it possible that since (AFAIK) Ubuntu Thin is only available as a regular font with no bold, italic or bold-italic variants, that this is causing the issue?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #10
Nephesh

Arrow

Quote:
I'll have a look for the font and see if it works on my PW3.
I use the official zip from Ubuntu here: https://design.ubuntu.com/font/
Old 02-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #11
Nephesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is it possible that since (AFAIK) Ubuntu Thin is only available as a regular font with no bold, italic or bold-italic variants, that this is causing the issue?
who knows? anyway i don't thinks so, i think i already used "one style only" fonts in the past and i don't recall issues. When Thin is the only font from Ubuntu typeface family it became selectable. prolly a conflicting thing
Old 02-05-2021, 06:44 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've figured out the problem. The problem is in the font metadata. The preferred family name us Ubantu. So when you have the other Ubantu fonts loaded, it's taken as part of the same font family. I changed the preferred family name to Ubantu Thin and comes up in the font menu as you want.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #13
Nephesh

Thumbs up

Quote:
I've figured out the problem. The problem is in the font metadata. The preferred family name us Ubantu. So when you have the other Ubantu fonts loaded, it's taken as part of the same font family. I changed the preferred family name to Ubantu Thin and comes up in the font menu as you want.
Hi there, mmmh strange I remember I did the same thing but maybe I'm wrong, thanks for the help. I'll check it out.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:57 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hi there, mmmh strange I remember I did the same thing but maybe I'm wrong, thanks for the help. I'll check it out.
If you don't get it working, I can copy the fixed version from my PW3 and post a link so you can download it.

Tags
fonts, typeface