Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2022, 04:39 PM   #1
T6J2E5
T6J2E5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
How to manage collections on Kobo with Calibre

Hello, everyone! First post here (w00t)!

I have the latest version of Calibre installed, and it seems to be playing nicely with my Kobo Clara HD. The series information is transferred over just fine. I'd like to have the tags in my Calibre library transferred over as collections, but I'm not sure how to do this.

I found this reply in another, older thread from 2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
...I let [Calibre] create collections [on the Kobo] based on tags...
I started this new thread, because I didn't want my first post to be necromancy.

Anyone know how to make Calibre transfer the library tags as collections to my Kobo?
T6J2E5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6J2E5 View Post
Anyone know how to make Calibre transfer the library tags as collections to my Kobo?
Hi

You need to install the Kobo Utilities by @davidfor... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=215339

Once you set up the plugin, go to Driver>Configure Current Driver and enable Collections.
You can then add which columns the collections should be based on. In my example I am using Ratings and my own column "Singles" for Collections.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collections.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	191657  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Hi

You need to install the Kobo Utilities by @davidfor... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=215339
No you don't. My Kobo Utilities plugin has absolutely now way of creating collections on the device. And, calibre has everything built in for connecting to Kobo devices. The plugin adds function, but, not this.
Quote:
Once you set up the plugin, go to Driver>Configure Current Driver and enable Collections.
You can then add which columns the collections should be based on. In my example I am using Ratings and my own column "Singles" for Collections.
That is correct, but, it is the built-in driver, not the plugin.

@T6J2E5: Start with https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections. That is a guide for using collections. And there is a long thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193184, where most of the issues have been discussed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is correct, but, it is the built-in driver, not the plugin.
Hmmm, sounds like my understanding is still a bit suspect. So why do you have that page in my screenshot in your plugin settings, and why can I add column names then those names magically appear as Collections on my Kobo.

I read that wiki page early on, but it was confusing and to me it seemed as if it was mixing series and collections. But I was coming at it completely new, so maybe I missed the nuances of some of the statements.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:07 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm, sounds like my understanding is still a bit suspect. So why do you have that page in my screenshot in your plugin settings, and why can I add column names then those names magically appear as Collections on my Kobo.
That is not a screenshot from the Kobo Utilities plugin. It is a screenshot from the KoboTouch driver which is built into calibre. It might be a screenshot from the KoboTouchExtended driver, but, that particular tab is the same in both drivers. As it's name suggests, the KoboTouchExtended driver extends the KoboTouch driver and relies on that for most of the function. If you uninstall or just disable the Kobo Utilities plugin, the driver configuration will still be there. And the driver will work as it is supposed to.

The Kobo Utilities plugin does have a way to open the driver configuration. But, that is just a menu item because I was sick of digging through the calibre preference to find the drivers.

This gets back to something I find annoying. There are people here and in other places that say you must install the Kobo Utilities plugin and the KoboTouchExtended driver for calibre to work with Kobo devices. This is not true. Both supply extra function, but, calibre will connect and update the books on the device quite happily without them. When asked by a new Kobo user what to do, I always say to put books on the device and read. And play with it. Then they can work out what they do and don't like. And they can decide what else is needed. And if they decide that "what else is needed" is nothing, or a Kindle, I'm fine with that.
Quote:
I read that wiki page early on, but it was confusing and to me it seemed as if it was mixing series and collections. But I was coming at it completely new, so maybe I missed the nuances of some of the statements.
The original set of instructions for collections highlighted the use of series for collections as that was a popular request. For recent firmware, it isn't as important. Then, sometime last year, someone added a tutorial that was specifically for using the series column but not using it for actual series. The comment in red above it is mine as the instructions have caused problems, but, I haven't had time to rewrite them. And I'm not quite sure what they should be. And, I keep hoping someone else will do it
Old 01-17-2022, 09:54 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
That is not a screenshot from the Kobo Utilities plugin. It is a screenshot from the KoboTouch driver which is built into calibre.
Oh, right. Ok I know where my confusion has come from. The way I access that particular settings page is through the icon for your plugin. See image.
I assumed it was part of your plugin, because that is where I was accessing it. Instead, as you describe, it is a convenient shortcut. Hmmm, if I did not have your plugin and that icon on the toolbar, I would have been hard pressed finding the setting.

I don't have the extended driver installed.

Quote:
This gets back to something I find annoying. There are people here and in other places that say you must install the Kobo Utilities plugin and the KoboTouchExtended driver for calibre to work with Kobo devices.
Yep, I am one of those people
You have previously corrected me with Series, by explaining that disconnecting and reconnecting updated the series metadata because I mistakenly thought it was your plugin that was updating the metadata.

Thank your again @davidfor for explaining how Collections works.

Quote:
The original set of instructions for collections highlighted the use of series for collections as that was a popular request. For recent firmware, it isn't as important. Then, sometime last year, someone added a tutorial that was specifically for using the series column but not using it for actual series. The comment in red above it is mine as the instructions have caused problems, but, I haven't had time to rewrite them. And I'm not quite sure what they should be. And, I keep hoping someone else will do it
Yes, I saw the red text and edit history as I thought the page looked slightly different to the last time I checked it.
Wiki's are a great thing, but difficult to maintain. I admin another wiki elsewhere and it does my head in at times, trying to keep up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collections1.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	191659  
Old 01-18-2022, 06:30 AM   #7
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Just a daft thought, but do you need collections?

I came from owning a Kindle originally yonks ago, and was used to having shelves for things to manage my books from that device. That seemed the natural way to do it to me.

I personally found that since Kobo introduced the option to sort books by series, I don't need collections any longer. I love that feature.

This is completely based on my experience, and of course you must manage your collection however you like. But some of the default features of the Kobo might do what you need without any fiddling about.

Of course, the type of books you read might make a difference to how you want to sort them. I read a lot of fantasy and urban fantasy, which tends to be in trilogies or long rambling series, so an author sort or series sort works well for me. I can see how it might not work so well for other types.

I hope you manage to get it sorted how you like, and enjoy your Clara!
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:53 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6J2E5 View Post
I'd like to have the tags in my Calibre library transferred over as collections, but I'm not sure how to do this.
Short answer:
  1. Calibre/Preferences/Change Calibre behavior/Plugins/Device Interface/Kobo Touch (or Kobo Touch Extended).
  2. Click the Collections, covers & uploads tab.
  3. Click the Collections box
  4. Collections column - Tags
  5. Click the Create collections box (I also check Delete empty bookshelves)
Since using this, I have become very conservative in my tag usage as every single tag creates a new collection. I would get frustrated when there was a collection for Western and one for Westerns, for instance.

Or if you get one of those Project Gutenberg books where they apply every tag under the sun. I'm sure 'midcentury African basket weaving' is a useful tag for someone, but for me that tag goes.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-18-2022 at 12:59 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Genres. For example, mystery, fantasy, etc. I think there may have been a genre column built in with calibre (but I'm probably thinking of Tags) but if so I deleted it and made my own with Add your own columns, using Comma separated text for its type. Then in the KoiboTouch driver I have #genre in the Collections columns box.

Last edited by hobnail; 01-19-2022 at 01:22 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:19 AM   #10
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
Haha this is awesome! lately I have been wondering if you can sort books by the rating...
Rid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #11
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've set up calibre as explained here to create collections on my libra 2 according to a custom column. It seems to work only on books that I've transferred since I've set up the driver i.e. only recently sideloaded books are in their collections (and collections with only new books don't appear). I have tried plugging and unplugging the kobo to update the database, and I've tried the "update cache metadata" option on the driver menu, but still only newly transferred books are in their collections.
Did I miss a step somewhere, or is that the expected behavior and I have to delete and transfer the books again if I want them in their collections?
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:57 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikoz View Post
I've set up calibre as explained here to create collections on my libra 2 according to a custom column. It seems to work only on books that I've transferred since I've set up the driver i.e. only recently sideloaded books are in their collections (and collections with only new books don't appear). I have tried plugging and unplugging the kobo to update the database, and I've tried the "update cache metadata" option on the driver menu, but still only newly transferred books are in their collections.
Did I miss a step somewhere, or is that the expected behavior and I have to delete and transfer the books again if I want them in their collections?
The most likely thing is that on the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences, you have not set the ""Metadata management" to the automatic choice. If you do this, then the collection management will be done each time the device is connected to calibre.

The other likely issue is that the collections can only be set for books on the device that are matched to the books in the library. If the green tick isn't shown for the book, the collections will not be changed. This would explain why newly transferred books are handled as they should matched to the library. To fix this, you need to go to the device list, right-click on the book and choose "Match book to library" and find the book. After doing this, you need to use the "Update cache metadata on device" option to write this to the device. After that, the collection management should work on the next connection.

And note, the "Update cache metadata on device" option does not do anything from the Kobo point of view. It does not do the collection management. This updates a file that calibre uses to assist in matching the books on the device to the library. This speeds up the connection and makes it more accurate.

If things are still not working after this, I need to see a calibre debug log. This is done by running calibre in debug mode (right-click the preference button and choose the option), and connecting the device and letting the connection jobs run. When they are finished, close calibre and it will display the debug log. Post the full contents of the debug log or upload it somewhere and PM a link to the location. I can usually see what is wrong from the log.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #13
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The most likely thing is that on the "Sending books to devices" page of the preferences, you have not set the ""Metadata management" to the automatic choice. If you do this, then the collection management will be done each time the device is connected to calibre.
That was it! It was set to "manual", changing to "automatic" did the trick and all the collections have been created and populated. Thank you!
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #14
T6J2E5
T6J2E5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Wow! I didn't expect my question to spur such an in-depth discussion. This is great!

Quote:
...Calibre has everything built in for connecting to Kobo devices...
@T6J2E5: Start with https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections. That is a guide for using collections. And there is a long thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=193184, where most of the issues have been discussed.
Noted. I'll take a look at those threads. I somehow missed them in my search before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
I think both collections and series are useful. Series are useful for obvious reasons, but I also like to use collections on my Kobo the same way I used shelves on my Nook. Grouping books by genre or subject is handy when you have a large library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
...I have become very conservative in my tag usage as every single tag creates a new collection. I would get frustrated when there was a collection for Western and one for Westerns, for instance.
Good to know, and this makes sense. I have to keep this in-mind in my photo gallery, as well. I built a photo gallery for my Linux box that allows me to tag photos, and I have to be careful to always use exactly the same tag as I used before, otherwise, I'll end up with your "Western" vs "Westerns" issue. Not a big deal, once you get used to it.
T6J2E5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:42 PM   #15
bookish_1
bookish_1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
If your collections are "not working"

I tried all the instructions above and was confused about why it did not seem to be working.

It turns out that the collections are stored as metadata on an individual book file (such as an .epub), which makes sense. This means that collections will only appear on your Kobo for books that you have transferred from Calibre to the Kobo for the first time *after* enabling all of the above settings.

If you want to apply collections to books that already exist on the device, delete those books from the device and send them from Calibre to the device again.
bookish_1 is offline   Reply With Quote